Speeding in OKC: Talked to cop, showed CHL... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Speeding in OKC: Talked to cop, showed CHL...

Shinesintx
06-08-2011, 15:46
Got pulled over in Oklahoma City doing 70 in a 60...

I was traveling for business reasons and was unaware that the speed went from 70 to 60. Decided to go ahead and give my DL and CHL as I have no idea what the laws are in Oklahoma. When I presented both, he (the officer) asked if I was carrying. I said no, as it is a PITA to fly with a handgun. He asked what I normally carry. I informed him that I had recently graduated to a G33 and still sometimes carry the LCP. He said "cool, but you are welcome to take your hands off the steering wheel now". :rofl:

He asked if I knew how fast I was going, I said "70". He said that I was correct, but the speed went down to 60 a few miles back...and then he proceeded to tell me that I probably did not see it. Who was I to argue with the man? He then said I was not going to get a ticket, but he needed to run my license to make sure that I was clean. When he came back he shook my hand and told me to have a nice day. I thanked him and went on my way. Did the CHL help? I have no clue and was not gonna ask...

I dont know if he was a local or Highway Patrol, but he drove an unmarked black Tahoe. Dont really care either way, just happy no ticket. Talking to the cops and showing them that I had a CWP was not a problem. Honestly, it was the nicest traffic stop that I have EVER experienced.

Sidenote: He did not even ask why my DL was from Texas and my CWP was from Utah.:dunno:

trifecta
06-08-2011, 16:01
Let's see.....

Cool story bro

Was he wearing his hat?

Never talk to the police.

Did he have probably cause to stop you?

Did you yell out,"am I being detained?"

Did you notice him following your hot wife?

Lucky you didn't have your firearm or he might he might have violated your rights by securing it during the stop.

They have no right to stop you if it is a speed trap.

You are lucky they didn't send a SWAT team to stop you.

Shinesintx
06-08-2011, 16:16
Let's see.....

Cool story bro

Was he wearing his hat?

Never talk to the police.

Did he have probably cause to stop you?

Did you yell out,"am I being detained?"

Did you notice him following your hot wife?

Lucky you didn't have your firearm or he might he might have violated your rights by securing it during the stop.

They have no right to stop you if it is a speed trap.

You are lucky they didn't send a SWAT team to stop you.

Ok, I get it. :)

trifecta
06-08-2011, 16:22
I posted to save everyone else to the trouble of all the usual nonsense. I am happy you had a good experience with the police in Oklahoma. I have also found them to not be a problem the few times I have had a chance to meet them on the side of the road.

My reading comprehension is usually excellent. I also had a physical recently and nothing was found in my posterior.

All the best...

joker42179
06-08-2011, 16:25
http://youtu.be/mtk5Ej-xLsM :whistling:

gommer
06-08-2011, 16:26
Are you lacking in reading comprehension?

Whats up your butt? I was just sharing a story about it not being a big deal...if ya did not like my post you could have chosen to not read it. Since you obviously posted for the post count...my response to you is FOAD.:whistling:

Wow, lol, he was just quoting the typical GT responses to LEO interaction.

Grab a soda and chill fella!

Shinesintx
06-08-2011, 16:30
I posted to save everyone else to the trouble of all the usual nonsense. I am happy you had a good experience with the police in Oklahoma. I have also found them to not be a problem the few times I have had a chance to meet them on the side of the road.

My reading comprehension is usually excellent. I also had a physical recently and nothing was found in my posterior.

All the best...

Ok, I get it now. Sorry for being so defensive.:embarassed:

trifecta
06-08-2011, 16:36
Ok, I get it now. Sorry for being so defensive.:embarassed:

We are good my friend. Was hoping you would figure it out.

kensteele
06-08-2011, 18:25
If you are not carrying, I'm not sure you had to show your permit but you did fine anyway if it helped. I believe OK is a must-inform state, if you go there with your handgun (or it's your state next door), you probably should know the law with your neighbors. In these parts, SWA is probably the easiest airline to fly with a handgun but I understand it might be iffy when you fly on business.

Shinesintx
06-08-2011, 18:37
If you are not carrying, I'm not sure you had to show your permit but you did fine anyway if it helped. I believe OK is a must-inform state, if you go there with your handgun (or it's your state next door), you probably should know the law with your neighbors. In these parts, SWA is probably the easiest airline to fly with a handgun but I understand it might be iffy when you fly on business.

The guy had me dead to rights as far as the speeding went...so I figured what the heck, I will give him my permit and see what happens. I was pretty sure that I was gonna get a ticket...and I did not. Was it the permit? I will never know, but he sure was cool about the whole deal. There were multiple reasons for why I may not have gotten a ticket.

Possibilities:
1) I was VERY courteous.
2) My hands were at 10 and 2
3) I was dressed nicely
4) He could tell that I was in the state conducting business (he asked what I sold and I was very forthcoming).
5) I admitted that I was doing 70, I did not try and lie. I honestly did not know that I was speeding. It was a speed trap. Which is weird because speed traps are for ticket writing.
6) I had a CWP? Kind of a longshot I guess.
7) He liked that I used to CC an LCP
8) I now carry a G33 Glock. (He carried a G22):whistling:

Lotsa reasons...maybe none of them contributed and it was something else? I will never know, as I was not gonna ask....just happy that I did not get a ticket.

I have traveled on SWA many times with shotguns and rifles...just dont wanna deal with the hassle of checking a handgun. My Utah license is a no go in Kansas.

saddlebum
06-08-2011, 18:59
i got pulled over in nw oklahoma by a sheriffs deputy one time, showed him my chl and drivers lic. he asked what i was carrying and i told him g27,he said he'd been wanting one for back up and off duty and i told him i'd been wanting to switch to a j frame for pocket carry. well he had one was thinking about trading we exchanged numbers and he called me and cameout to my deer lease when he got off duty and we made a trade

Deaf Smith
06-08-2011, 20:48
Possibilities:
1) I was VERY courteous.
2) My hands were at 10 and 2
3) I was dressed nicely
4) He could tell that I was in the state conducting business (he asked what I sold and I was very forthcoming).
5) I admitted that I was doing 70, I did not try and lie. I honestly did not know that I was speeding. It was a speed trap. Which is weird because speed traps are for ticket writing.
6) I had a CWP? Kind of a longshot I guess.
7) He liked that I used to CC an LCP
8) I now carry a G33 Glock. (He carried a G22)

Shines,

I've been stopped a few times while packing. One cop did give me a ticket years ago but most let me off the hook (but then I was not going real fast over the limit.)

And yes I was polite (and so were they.) No hassle at all. But that's in Texas. I cannot speak for other states and I'd really hate to be stopped in New Jersey, no matter that the federal law says about transporting guns!

As for your possibilities, you were courteous, decent looking, honest, and yes you had a CHL, a 'good guy' card.

All that helped.

Deaf

NWGlocker
06-09-2011, 06:06
I haven't had a ticket yet since I started carrying. It is pretty sweet. Of course I am not running around like a nascar driver trying to get pulled over either. I just noticed that a lot of times the cops are pretty cool about the whole thing.

eracer
06-09-2011, 06:09
Wow, lol, he was just quoting the typical GT responses to LEO interaction.

Grab a soda and chill fella!
Funny, those sound just like the usual Arfcom responses to LEO interaction.

Spats McGee
06-09-2011, 11:36
In Arkansas, one must "[c]arry the license, together with valid identification, at any time when the licensee is carrying a concealed handgun; and display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer." Ark. Code Ann. 5-73-315 (West). From what I've heard, though, we have quite a few officers at all levels who believe that we are a "must hand over the CHCL any time you're stopped" state. When in doubt, and stopped by LE, it seems best to be just to go ahead and hand over the permit.

Glad that it worked out for you.

BailRecoveryAgent
06-09-2011, 11:47
Did the CHL help? I have no clue and was not gonna ask...

He must have liked your visor. :wavey: (sorry couldn't resist)

djpuffnstuff
06-09-2011, 11:55
I don't know how people seem to have so many bad experiences in traffic stops. I have been pulled over 8 times (._I think_.) and have only gotten one ticket. Just be pleasant and respectful to the cops and usually they let you go with a warning. The one ticket I got I was going 25 over the limit so there wasn't any amount of nicing to get outta that one.

I've only been pulled over twice since getting my CWP, but both times handed that over as well and for whatever reason the cop didn't see the need draw down on me or even take my weapon for his safety.

jerrytrini
06-09-2011, 12:11
75% of my traffic stops resulted in just, "Don't do it again. Have a safe day". Then there is the 10% of blatant disregard of traffic laws and there is the 15% Adam Henry's that are "I make more money than you that's why you are giving me a ticket", I pay your salary and so called Road Lawyers" etc etc....
So in short, just be polite but if you have to argue, be civil about it and most importantly don't yell at us.

rv4driver
06-09-2011, 22:51
I live for the day when I'm heading out to the range to teach a class, and I get stopped, "do you have any weapons in your vehicle?"

Oh, my, it's going to be a long day.

The inventory alone will take a while.

Actually, you know what? The local PD trains there, the Sheriff's office trains there, Homeland Security trains there, numerous present and ex-LEO's teach class there, (two of them trained me), heck, I'll probably be fine.

Unless my wife is along. She can get an attitude. Kidding! I'm kidding, dear!

Be nice, show respect, above all, don't do nuthin' dumb. You'll be fine.

Jeff

liberty addict
06-10-2011, 09:39

I was traveling for business reasons and was unaware that the speed went from 70 to 60. Decided to go ahead and give my DL and CHL as I have no idea what the laws are in Oklahoma. When I presented both, he (the officer) asked if I was carrying. I said no, as it is a PITA to fly with a handgun. He asked what I normally carry. I informed him that I had recently graduated to a G33 and still sometimes carry the LCP. He said "cool, but you are welcome to take your hands off the steering wheel now". :rofl:

He asked if I knew how fast I was going, I said "70". He said that I was correct, but the speed went down to 60 a few miles back...and then he proceeded to tell me that I probably did not see it. Who was I to argue with the man? He then said I was not going to get a ticket, but he needed to run my license to make sure that I was clean. When he came back he shook my hand and told me to have a nice day. I thanked him and went on my way. Did the CHL help? I have no clue and was not gonna ask...

I dont know if he was a local or Highway Patrol, but he drove an unmarked black Tahoe. Dont really care either way, just happy no ticket. Talking to the cops and showing them that I had a CWP was not a problem. Honestly, it was the nicest traffic stop that I have EVER experienced.

Sidenote: He did not even ask why my DL was from Texas and my CWP was from Utah.:dunno:

I live in Oklahoma and I am convinced that having a CHL helps you get out of tickets (at least I know it has helped me on several occasions). Of course it isn't just the CHL it is your attitude, etc.

BTW Oklahoma accepts ALL other states' concealed carry licenses, that's why he didn't ask you the details of your arrangement.

tslex
06-10-2011, 09:54
rv4driver wrote:

I live for the day when I'm heading out to the range to teach a class, and I get stopped, "do you have any weapons in your vehicle?"

Some years back my son and I were headed to NC for a family thing, driving through GA. We were going to do some hunting, shoot sporting clays at a friend's club, I had an IDPA match lined up, and we'd brought some .22s for the little kids. I was carrying per usual. I drive a pickup so all the guns were in cases in the cab on the rear seat so as to be safe from the weather.

We got pulled over by a GA trooper (I made what was probably a bad lane change in construction area). Young guy, high-&-tight hair, Smoky the Bear hat, sharply creased shirt despite the hot day, sunglasses.

He comes to the driver side and asks me for LR&I, which I hand him, along with my permit.

He says: "Sir do you have any weapons in the car?"

Pointing with my thumb over my shoulder I say: "Um, yes. . . all of them."

He paused a beat then, bless his heart he arched an eyebrow, smiled and said "Any I need to worry about?"

Encounter ended satisfactorily (although it is strange that all LEOs now seem to be young enough to be my kid).

dregotglock
06-10-2011, 10:16
"cool, but you are welcome to take your hands off the steering wheel now".

Funny - I was always taught and practice the "Hands in clear sight on the steering wheel and no sudden movements" train of thought. Friends and family LEO have taught me that being as calm as possible, keeping my hands in plain sight and doing nothing to cause stress is the best way to not be put on the ground let alone get the ticket lol.

Having a CHL or not having a CHL imho holds no weight other than to show that you an upstanding lawabiding citizen... now what could that be worth in a police interaction???? LOL.

kensteele
06-10-2011, 18:18

The inventory alone will take a while.

Actually, you know what? The local PD trains there, the Sheriff's office trains there, Homeland Security trains there, numerous present and ex-LEO's teach class there, (two of them trained me), heck, I'll probably be fine.

Unless my wife is along. She can get an attitude. Kidding! I'm kidding, dear!

Be nice, show respect, above all, don't do nuthin' dumb. You'll be fine.

Jeff

I have know to go to the range with at least a dozen guns in my car as well. The only loaded weapon would be my EDC, the rest are stored and unloaded as if I were not licensed. If an officer asks, I will be truthful in my reply. If an officer wants to "inventory" my weapons, I will refuse.

PghJim
06-13-2011, 02:23
But you were not actually carrying, so there was no real risk. In PA, you do not have to tell the office your are carrying unless he asks. A friend of mine was pulled over by a local officer for speeding and thought it would be a good thing to tell the officer he was carrying and gave his permit. After the arrival of two more patrol cars, told to get out of the car with his hands up, had to lean against the car and be searched, and then they searched the car. After 45 minutes he was given his gun back and a traffic ticket for speeding.

I am not saying that there are not friendly understanding LEO's. I have been pulled over about 10 times in my state and never mention that I am carrying, but have my permit ready, in case I am asked. If I carry in an other state, I always check the laws.

Maybe I misunderstood your post, but why did you feel you had to give your permit if you were not carrying? It did start a good conversation, so maybe I will do the same when I am not carrying.

RussP
06-13-2011, 05:19
...A friend of mine was pulled over by a local officer for speeding and thought it would be a good thing to tell the officer he was carrying and gave his permit. After the arrival of two more patrol cars, told to get out of the car with his hands up, had to lean against the car and be searched, and then they searched the car. After 45 minutes he was given his gun back and a traffic ticket for speeding...In another thread you also said:...A friend got pulled over for speeding by a local LEO and my friend was very polite. He handed over his permit, and was told to keep his hands on the steering wheel and the LEO drew his weapon and sat and waitedfor two other patrol cars to arrive (back up). They had him get out of the car, disarmed him, had him lean against the car while they searched him and then searched the car. After about 45 minutes he was give his unloaded gun back and a traffick ticket and allowed to go on his way.I have a few questions to expand on and clarify the event you cited.

When did this happen?

What police agency was this? There seems to be a wide range of reactions in Pa based on where you are in the Commonwealth.

What time of day/night did it happen?

Was the stop made in an urban, suburban or rural area? Good or not so good neighborhood?

You said "...the LEO drew his weapon and sat and waited...". Where was the officer seated while waiting?

Did your friend consent to the searches?

Did your friend ask at any time during or after the stop why he was being searched?

Did your friend post about his experience anywhere, pafoa.org for instance?

Thanks for taking time to provide details that will add perspective to your comments.If you are ever in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania you will get a very warm welcome when you show your permit. The LEO's were told to harrass permit holders in some cases.Do you have the specific instances where PPD (you are talking about PPD, right?) officers "were told to harrass permit holders"? As you know, there is tremendous interest in such information.

Lior
06-13-2011, 06:19
Your attitude, based on your report, served you well in that stop.

LongGoneDays
06-13-2011, 11:42
One thing I say to people that complain about the cost of concealed carry fees is that you're just paying a traffic ticket early. I've only had 1 negative encounter when pulled over and armed, this was before I got my license and had it it in the glovebox. No tickets since.

Black Smoke Trail
06-13-2011, 11:52

Sounds to me like you both approached this very reasonably and respectfully. A very professional and positive encounter that will pay HUGE dividends in countless ways.

PghJim
06-13-2011, 13:20
In another thread you also said:I have a few questions to expand on and clarify the event you cited.

When did this happen?

What police agency was this? There seems to be a wide range of reactions in Pa based on where you are in the Commonwealth.

What time of day/night did it happen?

Was the stop made in an urban, suburban or rural area? Good or not so good neighborhood?

You said "...the LEO drew his weapon and sat and waited...". Where was the officer seated while waiting?

Did your friend consent to the searches?

Did your friend ask at any time during or after the stop why he was being searched?

Did your friend post about his experience anywhere, pafoa.org for instance?

Thanks for taking time to provide details that will add perspective to your comments.Do you have the specific instances where PPD (you are talking about PPD, right?) officers "were told to harrass permit holders"? As you know, there is tremendous interest in such information.

Wow. It was about 10 years ago in a small city in western PA. If it is that important, I will name it. I would guess one could consider the city not to be the best of places. It was dark, but not late (winter). I should have stated better - my friend sat and waited. The LEO stood slightly to the rear of the driver's window and since my friend was staring straight ahead, he did not know how the officer held the weapon, but did know he took his weapon out of the holster. My friend did not consent or object to the search. He was not asked. He was told they were searching for weapons; both on him and in the car. They took nothing out of his pockets except his gun (holster). He was then told to sit in his car while they "verified his information". I do not know if he posted anything, but he did complain to the city and was subsequently told, that since he was stopped for violating the law, the officers were in their right to verify his information. I must state that he told me the officers were polite, but firm.

As far as Philly, I have an employee who lived in the city for 10 years. He said he was told by officers "off the record" that they were to discourage CCW carry and were to do this by making the experience uncomfortable. I have no personal experience with this issue in Philly, but from what I know of the attitude towards guns there, and the city's action to ban CC against the PA constitution, I am inclined to believe it.

I did not mean to imply that every officer would act the same. My point is, if I do not have to tell, why bring it up unless asked, or asked to get out of the car.

PghJim
06-13-2011, 13:39
One thing I say to people that complain about the cost of concealed carry fees is that you're just paying a traffic ticket early. I've only had 1 negative encounter when pulled over and armed, this was before I got my license and had it it in the glovebox. No tickets since.

It is hard to judge whether the discussion of your CW permit helped you get out of a ticket, because you do not know how it would have turned out had you not brought it up. I am pulled over relatively frequently. As to why is another story, but I rarely get a ticket. If I do, it is written down to a violation that carries no driving points. I have never mentioned my CW permit. I rarely have a real bad experience when pulled over and generally have a good conversation with the officer.

RussP
06-13-2011, 16:32
Wow. It was about 10 years ago in a small city in western PA. If it is that important, I will name it. I would guess one could consider the city not to be the best of places. It was dark, but not late (winter). I should have stated better - my friend sat and waited. The LEO stood slightly to the rear of the driver's window and since my friend was staring straight ahead, he did not know how the officer held the weapon, but did know he took his weapon out of the holster. My friend did not consent or object to the search. He was not asked. He was told they were searching for weapons; both on him and in the car. They took nothing out of his pockets except his gun (holster). He was then told to sit in his car while they "verified his information". I do not know if he posted anything, but he did complain to the city and was subsequently told, that since he was stopped for violating the law, the officers were in their right to verify his information. I must state that he told me the officers were polite, but firm.

As far as Philly, I have an employee who lived in the city for 10 years. He said he was told by officers "off the record" that they were to discourage CCW carry and were to do this by making the experience uncomfortable. I have no personal experience with this issue in Philly, but from what I know of the attitude towards guns there, and the city's action to ban CC against the PA constitution, I am inclined to believe it.

I did not mean to imply that every officer would act the same. My point is, if I do not have to tell, why bring it up unless asked, or asked to get out of the car.Excellent, that really gives readers the informative base they need to use your friends experience in forming their own plans on how to act.

:thumbsup: