Advantages of 1.75" wide belt? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of 1.75" wide belt?

jack76590
06-08-2011, 18:26
Mas,

I have quite a number of Kramer #3 IWB holsters. As you know, these holsters have loops adjustable for various width belts. I am retired and my usual carry is with jeans under an untucked polo, rugby shirt, etc.

My current belt is 1.5" wide, double thick, horsehide belt by beltman. Seem like a very good belt and gives good lateral support.

However, I am wondering if same type belt but 1.75" wide might give even better support. With wide belt loops on jeans, untucked polo, and adjustable holster loops no real problem to use wider belt.

I really began to think about this, when I purchased a Kramer #3 IWB for my CZ75 PCR compact. This gun seems grip heavy and does not hold as close to body, as glocks in same style holster. Of course, some of this may be short slide. Seems like longer slide, just like longer barrel in some revolvers might tend to push grip closer to body. But of course, no way to length slide, so my question re wider belt.

As always look forward to your response. Jack

Mas Ayoob
06-08-2011, 19:18
Jack, it sounds as if you and I are in a similar age demographic. Gun stuff gets heavier on your waist when you get older, doesn't it? :supergrin:

First, make sure the belt loops on your usual wardrobe of jeans will take a 1.75" belt; not all of them will.

The wider belt will distribute weight better, all other things being equal; the trick is the "all other things equal" part. A wider belt made of rigid leather may bear on the pelvic bones a little harder. You might want something just a little bit softer than what you had with the 1.5".

Also, consider a belt "flared" a little at the bottom, tapering outward a bit toward the bottom. It helps distribute the weight. This was first discovered with policewomen's duty belts, the female hip flaring more than the man's and being more sensitive to this, but it seems to be more comfortable for both genders.

Both Greg Kramer and the folks at Beltman are doubtless more familiar than I with the subtleties of this, and it would be worth a phone call and some question time when you order your custom belt.

Best of luck, and please get back here afterward and tell us all how it worked out for you.

Cordially,
Mas

jack76590
06-08-2011, 22:44
Mas,

Thanks for advice. I would not be wearing this wide a belt on anything but jeans. But presently I wear jeans 95% + of the time. You are correct some jeans do not have real big belt loops. My LL Bean jeans have a 1.75" belt loop, which is just right for a 1.5" wide belt, which is double thick. This is what I presently wear and I need the extra quarter inch in pants loop, because of the belt thickness, if I want to move belt around easily. I think however, a double thick 1.75" belt would work, but be tight in loops.

But I just got a sale email from Lands End - 30% off and free shipping. So I called Lands End and asked about width of their belt loops. Answer is 2.25" wide, which would be more than adequate. So I ordered a pair of Lands End jeans to try out. Many of my present jeans are in need of replacement.

I think I am showing my demographic when I indicate I shop at LL Bean and Lands End. And true to my demographic I really hate to shop for clothing and stick with whatever I find works, especially what is available online.

I will give the beltman a call later, as you suggest. I don't expect a wider belt will make a radical difference. However, belt loops on my Kramer holsters are adjustable and a wide belt looks appropriate on jeans and will not show anyhow with untucked polo shirt. So really not much downside, even if only a marginal improvement. Jack