can i see muzzle crown damage? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : can i see muzzle crown damage?

nickod
06-10-2011, 04:40
can i see muzzle crown damage with the naked eye? what am i looking for? i have been known to clean with metal cleaning rods from muzzle to chamber and i recently found out that this is not the best method, and would like to inspect to see if any damage has been done. thanks

eracer
06-10-2011, 04:48
The problem is that very small defects can affect bullet flight. Gas leaks out of the defect at very high pressure before the bullet has cleared the muzzle. This creates a turbulent area that can send the bullet offline (even if just a small amount.)

You can use a magnifying glass to carefully examine the lands at the crown. If you see anything that appears to disturb the edge of the land, you might have a problem.

nickod
06-10-2011, 05:07
lands? your going to have to explain. i new at this. when i shine i light through my battle comp, the end of my muzzle looks smooth and uniform....no knicks, no dents, or dings of any kind. im not sure what im looking for.

faawrenchbndr
06-10-2011, 05:16
The barrel has lands and grooves.
The lands are the raised portion when looking at the rifling. Look for nicks, and rounded edges.
It is pretty much impossible to screw up a crown with a flash hider installed.

Get a Tipton or a Dewey carbon fiber rod, cheap insurance!

eracer
06-10-2011, 05:35
The barrel has lands and grooves.
The lands are the raised portion when looking at the rifling. Look for nicks, and rounded edges.
It is pretty much impossible to screw up a crown with a flash hider installed.

Get a Tipton or a Dewey carbon fiber rod, cheap insurance!Please explain how a flash hider protects the crown from damage when a cleaning rod is inserted in the muzzle. I'm not too bright, and I'm having a hard time with this one.:embarassed:

M&P15T
06-10-2011, 05:36
Please explain how a flash hider protects the crown from damage when a cleaning rod is inserted in the muzzle. I'm not too bright, and I'm having a hard time with this one.:embarassed:

Oh..sarcasm...nevermind.

eracer
06-10-2011, 05:38
lands? your going to have to explain. i new at this. when i shine i light through my battle comp, the end of my muzzle looks smooth and uniform....no knicks, no dents, or dings of any kind. im not sure what im looking for.To really inspect it, you need to remove the muzzle device, and if the Battle Comp needs to be timed (I'm not familiar with that product,) make sure you get the crush washers or peel washers you'll need ahead of time, because you'll need them when you reinstall it.

Like I said in my first post, the nicks on the lands can be very small, and you really need a magnifying glass to see them.

eracer
06-10-2011, 05:41
Oh..sarcasm...nevermind.Honest question, actually. Maybe he knows something I don't.

I mean, 99% of the time, if I get into a 'discussion' with someone on the internet, I know I'm right, and I have no problem telling the other person that they're wrong - even if it's just their opinion. (OK, that entire last paragraph was sarcasm...:supergrin:)

Drew Furst
06-10-2011, 08:04
Unless you have recently seen a deterioration in accuracy, I'm betting that you are worrying about nothing. It either takes something hitting the bore of the rifle at an angle, which the flash hider / muzzle device prevents, or a LOT of scrubbing with a cleaning rod. And I'm talking about stroking that cleaning rod like you are churning butter. If you've cleaned it a couple dozen times from the muzzle, you have (probably) not done any significant damage.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Change your practice to cleaning from the chamber with a coated cleaning rod and all will be well.<o:p></o:p>