45 ACP Remington Express 185gr. HP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 45 ACP Remington Express 185gr. HP

Coffee Dog
06-10-2011, 17:53
Howdy Mas!

By reaching out to you I was hoping you could enlighten me on both the ballistic's & street record of the 45ACP Remington Express 185gr. HP.

Second question I have is--Is this a good 45caliber round for defense or are there better choices?

Thank-You Mas for your time & attention!

Semper Fi Till The Day I Die! :wavey:

Mas Ayoob
06-10-2011, 19:09
A remarkably good load, actually, for such an old-school design.

This was the first of the reliably-feeding JHPs back in the 1970s, and has always been one of the more accurate factory .45 ACP rounds. I carried it in my duty pistol for much of that decade.

The early versions didn't always open, particularly in the shorter barrel guns. Remington listened up and changed that, tweaking the jacket design at the bullet nose. I later ran across multiple shooting cases with it, and it always opened up in that form and performed satisfactorily. (Though, as best I can recall, all those shootings were with the 5" pistols.)

It has historically been listed at 1000 feet per second in its standard pressure loading. In the old days, it would usually chronograph 932 or 935 or so feet per second out of a 5" barrel. Recoil was soft, as with the 185 grain Winchester Silvertip or Federal Classic.

The last few years, however, it has been chronographing 1020 to 1050 feet per second, and feels more like hardball, but with more flash than I remember the older rounds having. Still very accurate, though.

Always a good round on the "recommended" list for those with cheaper guns or old mil-spec 1911s that "only feed hardball." It's been my experience that most any .45 auto that will feed hardball, will feed Remington Express 185 grain, due to its ball-like ogive. I'd be more inclined to use it in a 5" gun than a short barrel .45 auto, though.

Best,
Mas