dd barrel on the way, tell me how to put in dimples [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : dd barrel on the way, tell me how to put in dimples

cfec2008
06-10-2011, 19:00
First of all, how deep should I make the dimples for the LaRue low pro gas block? My daddy n law has a drill press, so i can use that i guess. Just need some solid information on this before I mess up my bbl. My barrel is the lite barrel so maybe I shouldnt drill to deep? Thanks for the help as always.

WayaX
06-10-2011, 21:17
If you have to ask how on an internet forum, you probably should not be doing it.

cfec2008
06-10-2011, 21:44
If you have to ask how on an internet forum, you probably should not be doing it.

Well I have to learn somehow, and since I dont really know anyone around where I am from to help me with things like this I come here to learn. Maybe I shouldnt be drilling on my barrel, but I guarantee you I will know how to do build a complete rifle when im done with my build. Including the dimples. Do you even know how to properly do the job? If you do, you provided me with zero info. If you dont, you shouldnt have replied in the first place.

AK_Stick
06-11-2011, 01:28
Its beyond your level. Send it to a pro.

You can do most of the stuff at home, there are a few things you shouldn't attempt.

Drilling a barrel, with no experience/ideas of what you're doing, is one of those things.

Eurodriver
06-11-2011, 06:03
Its beyond your level. Send it to a pro.

You can do most of the stuff at home, there are a few things you shouldn't attempt.

Drilling a barrel, with no experience/ideas of what you're doing, is one of those things.

I agree. This is not something the OP should be attempting. ADCO will dimple it for a small fee, it will be done professionally, correctly, and coated afterwards.

faawrenchbndr
06-11-2011, 06:49
First of all, how deep should I make the dimples for the LaRue low pro gas block? My daddy n law has a drill press, so i can use that i guess. Just need some solid information on this before I mess up my bbl. My barrel is the lite barrel so maybe I shouldnt drill to deep? Thanks for the help as always.

There are several companies making jigs for dimpling.
Search at Brownells or MidwayUSA

G27RR
06-11-2011, 07:18
http://www.brdengineering.com/Dimple_Jig_Instructions.php

faawrenchbndr
06-11-2011, 09:20
Awesome jigs! BRD Engineering has it nailed! :wow:

M&P15T
06-11-2011, 09:21
Almost every time someone says something is too difficult, it's something that they themselves wouldn't try. Not that it's bad advice to let someone else do it, but if you have the knowledge and tools, the worst you can do is ruin your barrel and buy another one while gaining the experience. It's not a life or death situation, and will definitely be a learning experience.

cfec2008
06-11-2011, 18:28
Almost every time someone says something is too difficult, it's something that they themselves wouldn't try. Not that it's bad advice to let someone else do it, but if you have the knowledge and tools, the worst you can do is ruin your barrel and buy another one while gaining the experience. It's not a life or death situation, and will definitely be a learning experience.

Amen Brother. . . I admit that I have no earthly idea how to dimple a barrel. But I have no one to show me here around home. If i can find someone to help me or do it for me while i watch that would be awsome, and if that oppertunity arrises I will definatly take it. But if i dont get to do that i will attempt it myself. I will be very shallow with my drilling. Thanks for the encouragement bro.

faawrenchbndr
06-11-2011, 18:53
cfec2008,.......where are you located?

WayaX
06-12-2011, 11:54
To me, the cost of having a barrel professionally dimpled is so low that I don't feel the need to do it myself. I also feel that for the AR-15 rifle, that dimpling provides very little benefit and is just a fad.

If I were to do it, I would spend most of my time making the jig and testing it on something like a pipe. The actual dimpling of the barrel is only a small part of the operation (i.e. I don't find it worth the time/money to set up to just do one barrel, but I don't even find the dimpling to be all that useful on an AR-15).

To refinish it, I would recommend a high-heat ceramic coating (along the lines of Cerakote or Duraheat). The downside to that is the increased heat retention due to the insulating properties of ceramic. A parkerized finish would be better, but the set-up for that once again becomes more costly.