Magazines [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Magazines

Fedor
06-11-2011, 16:45
I want some high quality magazines for my Operator, what do you guys recommend?

tango44
06-11-2011, 16:56
Wilson's 47D's on my 1911's

Three-Five-Seven
06-11-2011, 17:01
Chip McCormick mags have been 100% in my SA Mil SPec and Colt's Series 70.

I drop 'em in the dirt at every match and they are easy to disassemble and clean.

Good price, too.

Fedor
06-11-2011, 17:01
Who has the best prices?

glock2740
06-11-2011, 18:08
Kimber and Baer make the best mags. :whistling:

:tongueout: :rofl: Wilson and Tripp Cobras are as good as it gets. :cool:

CMG
06-11-2011, 18:16
Checkmate, or the Kimber branded version (KimPro Tac Mag) run great in my pistols.

My local shop sells the KimPros for $18.

Top Gun Supply sells the CheckMates (for more).

Brownells sells Wilson and Chip McCormick, among others

knedrgr
06-11-2011, 18:20
How about just using your stock ones...

Believe it or not, they are good mags.

If you want more than get the ones recommended.

Fedor
06-11-2011, 18:28
How about just using your stock ones...

Believe it or not, they are good mags.

If you want more than get the ones recommended.

I'll give the stock mags a chance, but I've heard they arent that great.

Also, what 1911 lube is a good choice?

FireForged
06-11-2011, 18:37
I own Springfields and they like:

Checkmate
Tripp Research
Novaks (range use)

KillStick
06-11-2011, 18:40
You laugh at Baer mags, but mine have worked great. I primarily use wilson's but I want to try the 7 round tripp mags.

Ruggles
06-11-2011, 18:58
Metalform is a good option as well, I believe they make the Ed Brown mags which are top rate IMO.

cdunn
06-11-2011, 19:14
there is alot of good 1911 info here,.http://www.10-8performance.com/
I use wilsons, nighthawk, ed brown,certac and chip mccormick and tripps,I've never had any that were not 100% next I'll grab a couple of these with the 10-8 base pads http://www.10-8performance.com/products/CMC-Black-Power-Mag-w%7B47%7D10%252d8-Base-Pad.html just to try them out, and I'll be using my nighthawk mag coupon soon.

CAcop
06-11-2011, 19:44
If your Operator came with coupon do yourself a favor and buy as many mags as you can with it. I did that and use the 7 round mags for duty use. The way we train at work it needs to be tough and reliable. Wilson, CMC, and Actmag have had issues with me. If you are worried about capacity what the hell are you doing with a 1911?

Nickpisp
06-11-2011, 19:46
I've never had an issue with CMC's or stock SA mags.

knedrgr
06-11-2011, 19:48
I'll give the stock mags a chance, but I've heard they arent that great.

Also, what 1911 lube is a good choice?

Better check your sources again. Springfield mags are make by Metalform, and they're great mags.

The only mags that I have trouble with are Colt mags.

If you don't like them, I'll buy them. :whistling:

knedrgr
06-11-2011, 19:49
If your Operator came with coupon do yourself a favor and buy as many mags as you can with it. I did that and use the 7 round mags for duty use. The way we train at work it needs to be tough and reliable. Wilson, CMC, and Actmag have had issues with me. If you are worried about capacity what the hell are you doing with a 1911?

Forgot the about the SA coupon. Buy more mags from them for really cheap.

Mr. Gekko
06-11-2011, 20:08
The only mags that I have trouble with are Colt mags.

Same here. The mags from my two Colts were a PITA. Had nothing but good results with Wilson, Tripp, and CMC.

I'll have to try a Springfield mag some time.

Fedor
06-11-2011, 20:51

What are you talking about? I never said anything about capacity.
I do have the Loaded Coupon. I can buy the 7 round mags for $12.00 each (limit 10)
That's a good deal if they are reliable mags.

D4RWlN
06-12-2011, 01:58
I use brown 7 and 8rd mags in my kobra. They run great. I also have 2 wilson 10rd mags that are also perfect.

samuse
06-12-2011, 14:42
Checkmate G.I. spec mags work well for me for 7 round hardball mags.

CMC Powermags are starting to really impress me.

Nakanokalronin
06-12-2011, 14:57
Wilson 47Ds/Elites or KimPro Tac mags.

Spiffums
06-12-2011, 15:07
I run CMC Shooting Stars in my Kimber TLE. I haven't had any complains about them.

outcast1911
06-12-2011, 15:47
My SA LW Champion REALLY likes the factory mags, won' lock the slide back with Wilsons, for 8 rounders CMC power mags.

Jason D
06-12-2011, 16:51
Shop CDNNinvestments for their Metalform magazines.
10.00 bucks a pop for a magazine that will do anything a high dollar boutique magazine will, at a third the cost.

cdunn
06-13-2011, 04:07
I've read about alot of people getting mags. here
http://www.joes1911magmania.net/shop

20South
06-13-2011, 04:39
I used the coupon and loaded up on mags and have had zero issues through any of my pistols. I also use Wilson 47d's and etm's with no problems either.

deadite
06-13-2011, 06:08
I really like my 8 round Wilson Combat Elites. After using them, I don't like any of my others. They're just so easy to load and they feed great.

http://www.impactguns.com/data/default/images/catalog/535/wilson_500.jpg

I used to like Checkmates, but compared to the WC Elites, they're crap.

I even like Wilson Combat 10 rounders.
http://www.snipercompany.com/images/ss/products/2/69302.jpg

deadite

Dr. Strangelove
06-13-2011, 12:11
Shop CDNNinvestments for their Metalform magazines.
10.00 bucks a pop for a magazine that will do anything a high dollar boutique magazine will, at a third the cost.

I bought a pair of the eight rounders and took them to a local steel match last week. During a reload, the base plate shot off the gun and cartridges spilled out of the magazine onto the dirt.

Looking at the mags after the round was over there were only two tiny beads of welding holding the base plate onto the body of the mag. It could easily be just something that happens when you manufacture a lot of mags, but I'm a little turned off on them.

The cheap mags also don't disassemble for cleaning like the higher value ones.

For range use, or if you are getting into some matches I would for sure buy three cheap mags over one good one. But if you have the gun for SD HD or carry, I would buy a couple of nicer mags too.

Jason D
06-13-2011, 15:58
I bought a pair of the eight rounders and took them to a local steel match last week. During a reload, the base plate shot off the gun and cartridges spilled out of the magazine onto the dirt.

Looking at the mags after the round was over there were only two tiny beads of welding holding the base plate onto the body of the mag. It could easily be just something that happens when you manufacture a lot of mags, but I'm a little turned off on them.

The cheap mags also don't disassemble for cleaning like the higher value ones.

For range use, or if you are getting into some matches I would for sure buy three cheap mags over one good one. But if you have the gun for SD HD or carry, I would buy a couple of nicer mags too.

They have been in the business many, many years.
They have made OEM magazines for other companies including Colt.

They will also cover their product.

FireForged
06-13-2011, 16:05
The bad thing about these kinds of threads is that you are going to have basically every kind of magazine suggested as the one to have. Polls are a little better in that you can see which mag is suggested the most. It all boils down to your pistol and what works well in your pistol. If it were me I would take the top (2) magazines from a poll and go from there.

here in this thread:

CMc (6) votes
Wilson 47d (5) votes

Metalform
Checkmate
Tripp: tie @ (4) votes each

Wilson Elite (3) votes

Baer
Ed Brown
Novak
Kimber tie @ (1) vote each.

fnfalman
06-13-2011, 22:39
I ain't impressed by Colt/Metalform mags.

I have lots of good luck with GI mags - they even fed the old Speer Flying Astray rounds, though springs are weak for repeated use.

For the life of me, I don't know what's the big deal with Wilson-Roges/Wilson Combat mags. They look decent enough, but they feel flimsy and they jam in my Colt Delta Elite (no problem with Colt and Mec-Gar mags). Granted the 47D for the .45ACP and the .38 Super worked fine...thus far. Also, call me nitpicky but for the price Wilson is charging for these mags, the least they can do is stamp a damn caliber marking on the mag. The .45 looks different but the 10 and .38 Super look a lot like each other. Heaven forbid if I were to want to add a 9mm to the fray. Then all the damn mags look exactly alike.

I even have Chip McCormick Shooting Stars and Power Mags. The Shooting Stars followers sometimes follow the rounds out. The Power Mags have similar followers but have yet to come out. Knock on wood.

My best experience had been Mec-Gar mags. Built like tanks, feed smoother than baby's ass in all three calibers. Oh, and reasonably priced too.

brisk21
06-14-2011, 05:53
Ive had good luck with Wilson 7 rounders and Tripp springs and followers in my metalform mags that came with my TRP. Personally, I think the cheapest way to get the best mag is to use the loaded coupon and get a bunch of metalform mags from springfield and then order Tripp or Wilson springs and followers for them.

Dr. Strangelove
06-14-2011, 08:52
Ive had good luck with Wilson 7 rounders and Tripp springs and followers in my metalform mags that came with my TRP. Personally, I think the cheapest way to get the best mag is to use the loaded coupon and get a bunch of metalform mags from springfield and then order Tripp or Wilson springs and followers for them.

How do you disassemble them with the base plate welded on?

Glockdude1
06-14-2011, 09:15
I want some high quality magazines for my Operator, what do you guys recommend?

I use Wilson 47D's in my Mc Operator.

:cool:

fnfalman
06-14-2011, 13:34
How do you disassemble them with the base plate welded on?

Don't know about these mags but with the GI one, you compress the spring then run a cleaning rod or some sort of rod through one of the side holes to hold the spring in place, then the follower can be wiggled out. Take out the rod, take out the spring. Clean, lube, stick spring back in, compress it, stick the rod through, wiggle follower back in and pull rod out. Voila!!!

Jason D
06-14-2011, 15:52
I ain't impressed by Colt/Metalform mags.

I have lots of good luck with GI mags - they even fed the old Speer Flying Astray rounds, though springs are weak for repeated use.

For the life of me, I don't know what's the big deal with Wilson-Roges/Wilson Combat mags. They look decent enough, but they feel flimsy and they jam in my Colt Delta Elite (no problem with Colt and Mec-Gar mags). Granted the 47D for the .45ACP and the .38 Super worked fine...thus far. Also, call me nitpicky but for the price Wilson is charging for these mags, the least they can do is stamp a damn caliber marking on the mag. The .45 looks different but the 10 and .38 Super look a lot like each other. Heaven forbid if I were to want to add a 9mm to the fray. Then all the damn mags look exactly alike.

I even have Chip McCormick Shooting Stars and Power Mags. The Shooting Stars followers sometimes follow the rounds out. The Power Mags have similar followers but have yet to come out. Knock on wood.

My best experience had been Mec-Gar mags. Built like tanks, feed smoother than baby's ass in all three calibers. Oh, and reasonably priced too.

I have had trouble with Wilson magazines, though I used one yesterday to run 100 rounds of various lead through my new Springfield. Going from the factory magazine to the Wilson, you can tell the spring in the Wilson is a lot weaker.

I have also had the same problem with the Shooting Star magazines.
You drop one, the spring and follower go flying. I have also had the follower pop out after the last round was fired. All in all a worthless magazine.

I do have about 6 of the new Black magazines and have so far not had an issue. I have 4 Mec-Gar magazines that came with two Springfield Loaded pistols that have been nothing but reliable.

Don't know about these mags but with the GI one, you compress the spring then run a cleaning rod or some sort of rod through one of the side holes to hold the spring in place, then the follower can be wiggled out. Take out the rod, take out the spring. Clean, lube, stick spring back in, compress it, stick the rod through, wiggle follower back in and pull rod out. Voila!!!

That's how I do it.

fnfalman
06-14-2011, 16:03
I think that I'm going to hunt me up some more GI mags. I think I only have like five of them. Then I'll switch out the springs for Wolff Springs. That should do it instead of messing around with Metalform this, Wilson that, CMC this and Kimber that.

fnfalman
06-14-2011, 16:05
Jason, what are these "Black" magazines? Is that a new brand?

Jason D
06-14-2011, 17:37
Jason, what are these "Black" magazines? Is that a new brand?

Sorry about that.
I see I didn't actually name them.

Yes they are new for this year.
They are the Chip McCormick 8 round power mags that are referred to as the new Black magazine. In reality they are just blued power magazines.

fnfalman
06-15-2011, 12:56
Sorry about that.
I see I didn't actually name them.

Yes they are new for this year.
They are the Chip McCormick 8 round power mags that are referred to as the new Black magazine. In reality they are just blued power magazines.

Ah, for concealment purposes, I'm sure.

I have yet to have the follower slipping out on the Power Mags like I have on the regular Shooting Stars. Though is it me or am I wrong in saying that the Power Mag follower looks like the regular Shooting Star follower? That's where I had the problem with the Shooting Star mags. The follower gets dragged forward with the last round and out it comes.

Jason D
06-15-2011, 15:57
Ah, for concealment purposes, I'm sure.

I have yet to have the follower slipping out on the Power Mags like I have on the regular Shooting Stars. Though is it me or am I wrong in saying that the Power Mag follower looks like the regular Shooting Star follower? That's where I had the problem with the Shooting Star mags. The follower gets dragged forward with the last round and out it comes.

You could use them for that.
I believe that you can get shorter floor plates.
These are about the size of the plates found on the Wilson 47D.

The followers look the same to me.
I honestly wouldn't have even bought these had I not got a good deal on them, based on my experience with the Shooting Star magazines. While I haven't closely examined the differences between the two, I would hazard a guess that the feed lips are what cause the Shooting Star followers to fly out. Well that, and the over powered springs.