Getting back into hunting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into hunting

dereklord
06-11-2011, 23:47
Well, I grew up in Maine on 140 acres of land. So I could hunt at any time. I have since joined the military and in the 12 years I have been in, i havent hunted once! (Except for IED's and UXO's, lol) I now live in North Carolina and have some friends and inlaws who hunt. I am thinking about going with them. I just bought a Remington 770 in .30-06 today just to hunt with. Anyone have an good tips so i dont get out there and make myself look stupid? I mean, as in the differences between hunting in the North and here. If I should know of anything that has changed in the last decade. Things like that. Thanks. :supergrin:

pisc1024
06-12-2011, 02:03
Hey,
The brush, as I'm sure you know, in NC is pretty thick. The shots are usually short unless you are hunting on fields or power lines. I would just prepare for that more than anything. Know where your gun will shoot at shorter ranges. If you are using optics, keep them dialed down to the lowest magnification while moving around. Also keep an eye out for ticks; they can be active especially if the winter is mild there. Are you hunting in a stand, or using dogs?

308endurdebate
06-12-2011, 03:45
I don't know about NC, but in SC, the whitetail are much smaller. I assume you're hunting deer, since 30-06 is useful for deer and blackies in the southern states. Too much round for much else. I guess if you're coastal, maybe some piggies gone wild.

dereklord
06-12-2011, 12:40
Hey,
The brush, as I'm sure you know, in NC is pretty thick. The shots are usually short unless you are hunting on fields or power lines. I would just prepare for that more than anything. Know where your gun will shoot at shorter ranges. If you are using optics, keep them dialed down to the lowest magnification while moving around. Also keep an eye out for ticks; they can be active especially if the winter is mild there. Are you hunting in a stand, or using dogs?

Stand. But growing up I stalked the deer. Was always on the move. Its a bit different here though. I hear you either sit in a stand or go home empty handed. :rofl:

pisc1024
06-12-2011, 12:46
Stand. But growing up I stalked the deer. Was always on the move. Its a bit different here though. I hear you either sit in a stand or go home empty handed. :rofl:

Yea, I never had much luck with the stalk in NC. There is always the big controversy out there about dog hunting vs. stand hunting. I was just wondering. Are you close to Ft Bragg? Believe it or not when I was there Bragg was actually pretty good to hunt on. I don't know if it's the same, it's been two years or so. The wardens out there were pretty cool, and there was plenty of land for the most part. Opening day was always a mad house!

dereklord
06-12-2011, 13:26
Im sort of close. Im in Goldsboro, in the Air Force. I think that some of my inlaws have some land that they hunt anyways so I dont think land will be the problem. I just didnt want to go hunting with some of them and look like a fool. Better to look like a fool with people onhere, whom I probably will never see, then with family :)

pisc1024
06-13-2011, 07:44
Im sort of close. Im in Goldsboro, in the Air Force. I think that some of my inlaws have some land that they hunt anyways so I dont think land will be the problem. I just didnt want to go hunting with some of them and look like a fool. Better to look like a fool with people onhere, whom I probably will never see, then with family :)

Isnít that the truth... I always found that land was the biggest problem for hunting in my aria of NC. I have in-laws that live out near Lumberton who have land that I've hunted on a time or two. Bragg wasn't bad like I said, but it's hard sometimes to find just the right spot out there. I always had better luck small game hunting on Bragg over anything else.

Jonesee
06-13-2011, 19:44
I've hunted all around the country and can think of 2 things.

1) find out what is an appropriate animal (deer) to take. How old, how large, how many points etc. Killing what is legal is not always acceptable with the new guys you are hunting with. Ask up front and do as they request.

2) Cleaning the kill is different all over the country. In Michigan, most people I hunted with do not butcher their own kill. They field dress it and take it to a butcher. In Missouri we always butchered our own. In the south, I learned to take the hams (boned while still hanging), loins and back straps and let the rest go. In Florida you can have 2 deer a day so that may play into it. In the mountains you typically field dress then quarter it to carry. I'm sure the mountains and altitudes dictated that habit.

That has been my observations at least. Watch the first couple of deer that come in and you will learn what is typical in your new area. If you are confident and quick with a knife, no one is going to pick on you no matter what though.

dereklord
06-13-2011, 20:14
I've hunted all around the country and can think of 2 things.

1) find out what is an appropriate animal (deer) to take. How old, how large, how many points etc. Killing what is legal is not always acceptable with the new guys you are hunting with. Ask up front and do as they request.

2) Cleaning the kill is different all over the country. In Michigan, most people I hunted with do not butcher their own kill. They field dress it and take it to a butcher. In Missouri we always butchered our own. In the south, I learned to take the hams (boned while still hanging), loins and back straps and let the rest go. In Florida you can have 2 deer a day so that may play into it. In the mountains you typically field dress then quarter it to carry. I'm sure the mountains and altitudes dictated that habit.

That has been my observations at least. Watch the first couple of deer that come in and you will learn what is typical in your new area. If you are confident and quick with a knife, no one is going to pick on you no matter what though.
Thanks man, come good info in there for me. The field dressing part in particular. I will be sure to ask about that. I know that they butcher thier own, but, I dont know if they will let me use thier building and stuff to do it. Thanks again.

vafish
06-15-2011, 16:11
Lots of southern hunt clubs everyone helps butcher the deer and they split the meat up. So even of you didn't get a deer you still go home with some meat.

Just depends upon how they do things.