Remora holster review [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remora holster review

bjhubb
06-12-2011, 11:50
Got in a Remora holster for my g26 and wore it all day yesterday around town. I have to say that I am really impressed. I wore it iwb with loose fitting cargo shorts and no belt with a tshirt. It was a really hot day and it had to be adjusted a couple times because of sweat making it a little less tacky. But in those instances it moved only about an inch. I bet it wouldn't have moved at all if I had tighter fitting shorts on. I am still going to get a tuckable iwb holster for it. I got the artemis reinforced top which makes it easier to get a good grip and allows for single hand reholstering. I tested this out many times and it works very well. For the money this holster will allow for many different types of carry.

BIG-DOG
06-12-2011, 12:24
I have 3 Remora holsters and they work great for appendix carry. Easy to take on and off. If you wear a regular pants belt they don't move at all. I have tried just about everything, rolling, jumping, even hung upside down and they do not move. Great versatile holster. I recommend getting the reinforcment for one hand holstering and the sweat guard.

scattershot
06-12-2011, 13:24
Does it allow the full firing grip on the 26?

emore
06-12-2011, 13:36
I've got to jump in here and say that the Remora is one of the easiest holsters ever to forget that your wearing. I've never had one move on me at all. I carry a G27 usually although I have carried a G19 and G23 in one before. Same excellent results, regardless of the gun. The hold-open feature is well worth the few bucks, IMHO.

NAS T MAG
06-18-2011, 17:23
I've got to jump in here and say that the Remora is one of the easiest holsters ever to forget that your wearing. I've never had one move on me at all. I carry a G27 usually although I have carried a G19 and G23 in one before. Same excellent results, regardless of the gun. The hold-open feature is well worth the few bucks, IMHO.

Add the sweat shield for another $5 and you have one of the best IWB holster for the cost. Just ordered another one today.

texas 48
06-18-2011, 17:49
Add the sweat shield for another $5 and you have one of the best IWB holster for the cost. Just ordered another one today.

I did just that. After I got my 1st one last week and carried my G29 with swim trunks and a shirt I orderd 2 more just got them today. Without a doubt it is the most comfortable AIWB available and does everything as advertised. It just does not move.Alan is a good guy to work with.

cowboy1964
06-18-2011, 18:07
For 3-4 o'clock I still find the MTAC and Blade-Tech Nano more comfortable.

19Glock19
06-18-2011, 20:57
Hows the retention?

G21ACPBeliever
06-18-2011, 21:07
Yeah, 9 months ago when I was talking about what a comfortable product remora is every troll in the land kept saying that I was a "rep" trying to get them free advertising on GT... Now that people have actually tried their product & love it... What now? Great option for deep concealment! I have 1 for every model I own- makes my kelTec vanish!

texas 48
06-18-2011, 21:34
Hows the retention?

G29 in a bathing suit little or no movement. Draw your own conclusion. Don't know of any other IWB holster I can do that with. No Clips. Only draw back is next to the skin it can pull some hair.

emore
06-19-2011, 04:32
I find the retention to be something that never crosses my mind. And I am used to a thumb break holster. If it was any problem whatsoever, I couldn't be comfortable with it. I don't hang by my knees on the monkey bars but I would think it would retain the gun even then. Retention is not a problem.

jrush2525
06-19-2011, 19:52
I got mine yesterday for my G19 and love it! It is comfortable and secures nicely. I'm glad I made the purchase.

NMG26
06-19-2011, 20:03
This is my Remora with a G26.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1217&pictureid=4566

I now carry this Gun with the same holster.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1224&pictureid=4579

1canvas
06-19-2011, 20:23
i couldn't find the price, what do they go for? its hard to see how they could be that secure without an attachment.

NMG26
06-19-2011, 20:30
i couldn't find the price, what do they go for? its hard to see how they could be that secure without an attachment.

See if this link works.

http://www.remoraholsters.net/Remora-No-Clip-Holsters_c2.htm

texas 48
06-19-2011, 20:35

Go to the online store. 30 to 35 shipped.They are very secure without an attachment , and comfortable as well.

1canvas
06-19-2011, 20:39
thanks NMG26, that worked. i think i'll be ordering a couple for my 27 and j-frame. i just have to figure which models would be the best.

4Baldy
06-19-2011, 20:57
For what you pay for them and how well they work, they are one heck of a deal..:cool:

emore
06-20-2011, 03:43
Personally, I wouldn't have an IWB holster other than the Remora. If it has those belt loops on it, to me that just screams out "I've got a gun!" The Remora, which stays put without straps or loops by means of the material it's made of, is far superior in my opinion. I've had a Cross Breed Super Tuck, a Galco King Tuk, and a couple of no name IWB holsters and I've sold or given every single one away. I still have every Remora I've ever bought. The fact that one size often fits multiple guns is just a bonus.

jamaicanj
06-20-2011, 09:58
I have one for my 19 and I love it

1canvas
06-20-2011, 19:48
with everyone saying how good these holsters are and the fact that they don't screw you on shipping like many do, i ordered one for my 27 and j-frame. i still can't see how they could work so good, but anytime i ordered something that was highly recomended by so many GT members i was always glad i did.

vinnynj
07-09-2011, 14:23
I have one for four of my guns. How about this to show how well they hold without any belt attachment: I can carry my Beretta 92FS (about 36 oz) in my pajama bottoms with just a drawstring. The holster just stays against my skin and does not move. Great for answering the door late at night and I do not want a gun in my hand. Every time it has been a neighbor that I did not recognize (lots of snow birds and rentals where I live) with a medical or other emergency.

I would also say it is great for women as they tend to wear pants with no belts. The holster also keeps the gun from sliding around a pocket book. Very versitile and at a great price. You would not believe the amount of customer service you get for $25.

applevalleyjoe
07-09-2011, 15:51
Just ordered mine for my 19/23. I'll let you know how it works out but I have high expectations after watching all of those youtube reviews!

CrackerKen
07-09-2011, 17:24
I just got mine in the mail yesterday, for my G23. I also ordered the sweat shield option. I like this holster a lot.

Now that I've experimented, I need to get one for my G27 too.

These things DO indeed work as stated.

Icon Armory
07-09-2011, 17:26
Hmmmm now I want to try one out lol thanks guys now spend more money :)

Midwest Doc
07-09-2011, 17:29
Absolutely the best IWB and pocket-carry holsters I have found. PLUS superb customer service.

applevalleyjoe
07-09-2011, 19:05
I just got mine in the mail yesterday, for my G23. I also ordered the sweat shield option. I like this holster a lot.

Now that I've experimented, I need to get one for my G27 too.

These things DO indeed work as stated.

crackerken, we must think alike...as I've previously stated, I ordered one for a 23, with the reinforced mouth and the sweat shield and like you, if it works out I'll be ordering one for my 27 also. :cool:

scattershot
07-09-2011, 19:11
Thanks for the review, I just ordered one. Question, though. I specified payment with a credit card, but it looks like it went through Paypal anyway. What's up with that?

CrackerKen
07-09-2011, 19:13
Joe - Great minds think alike. :supergrin:

Those mag pouches are quite nice too. Very tempting.

It will be nice to have an IWB holster that doesn't eat up a spot on my belts.

1canvas
07-09-2011, 19:25
i got mine last week but haven't really used them. i did stuff my 23 in the one i bought for the 27 and it fits pretty good also.

CrackerKen
07-09-2011, 19:25
The credit card most likely paid Remora's Paypal account for the purchase. He works off the Paypal system.

3G19eXo
07-09-2011, 21:31
I have a reinforced top with sweat sheild headed this way for my 19! Can't wait!

I highly recommend 'calling' Alan and discussing what you want to order. He's a great guy and can suggest what you might need and he's just a cool guy to talk to about anything. He definately takes care of his customers.

scattershot
07-13-2011, 13:17
Just got mine, i like it!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/scattershot/DSCN2297.jpg

jamaicanj
07-13-2011, 13:50
I think I'm going to order another one. I need to call Allen to see if he can make a holster to accommodate my G17 with x300.

Beanie-Bean
07-13-2011, 15:40
Here are my first three (ha!) Remoras:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Glock/590e74f2.jpg

- One for compacts/G30SF
- One for subcompacts (although the G30SF is technically a compact, it's almost as big as my G19 or G23
- One for the little guy (SIG P238 HD)

The Glock versions have the kydex reinforcement to hold it open, and all of them have the sweat shield option. I have to say that these are some of the best holsters I've worked with so far, and I'm hoping that I can get the subcompact w/Crimson Trace to fit inside.

CrackerKen
07-13-2011, 16:03
I wore my Remora holster with my G23 for about 6 hours Sunday. It conceals very nicely, and even closer and better than a clip on type IWB holster. The holster has a thin bit of padding to it too, but not such that it makes it thick and bulky. It simply does not move. Period. It sticks where you put it, and stays there. It is the most comfortable IWB holster I have ever used. The only drawback, is that you can't stuff it down into your pants once they are fastened and your belt buckled, like you might with other IWB holsters. It is too sticky to try that. You have to position the holster in the proper place then fasten up. The sweat shield feature works just fine too. I'm going to order another for my G27 when I get a few bucks handy.

Rob_W
07-13-2011, 16:13
I am going to get one for my 19,
Would you think the same holster would fit my SW99 in .40 with 4" Barrel?

CrackerKen
07-13-2011, 16:27
Take a look at the fitment charts on Remora's web site. It shows the various guns that fit each model of holster. There are multiples for each model.

jamaicanj
07-13-2011, 23:54
I called Allen earlier today to discuss the lower profile holster and the sweat shield option. I got all excited and ordered 2 more remoras...one for a G17 with x300 and the other for a sig 232.

magpie maniac
07-14-2011, 17:05
I've been carrying my Ruger SP101 2.25" .357 a lot lately so I ordered a Remora with sweat shield for it. Best holster I've ever purchased. Very versatile, conceals well, and comfortable. Stays puts and retains the gun.

I'm thinking about getting one for my G26, too, but I'm enjoying my SP101 right now.

r3dot
07-14-2011, 21:31
Got one for my Kel Tec PF9 last week. Since it's a multi-gun holster, the fit isn't all that great, but nothing concerning. To be quite honest, I could conceal my G19 in an MTAC much easier than I can conceal this slim little PF9 in this Remora holster. Oh well. It was worth the money due to its ease of use. Keep it in the center console, then slip it into my waistband when I'm getting out.

magpie maniac
07-14-2011, 22:43
Got one for my Kel Tec PF9 last week. Since it's a multi-gun holster, the fit isn't all that great, but nothing concerning. To be quite honest, I could conceal my G19 in an MTAC much easier than I can conceal this slim little PF9 in this Remora holster. Oh well. It was worth the money due to its ease of use. Keep it in the center console, then slip it into my waistband when I'm getting out.

My MTAC for the G26 concealed fine, but I just couldn't get it to feel comfortable in any position. After months, I almost gave up on IWB carry until I bought the Remora. For me -- and we're all a little different -- the SP101 disappears with the Remora. It's conceals better than my G26 in the MTAC. It might have a lot to do with my having added the sweat shield feature and the Ruger is able to ride a little lower as a result.

photoguy
07-16-2011, 07:07
I called Allen earlier today to discuss the lower profile holster and the sweat shield option. I got all excited and ordered 2 more remoras...one for a G17 with x300 and the other for a sig 232.

I ordered my first Remora a while ago when they first came on the scene. Like many here I loved it. Recently I decided to try the reinforced top model for my Sig 232. I think I've found a perfect combo for this gun!

gunslinger3
07-16-2011, 20:47
OK I ordered one for my G26 today. Will let you know what I think after I have received and had a chance to wear it around.

Didn't order the reinforced top. Will I regret that?

3G19eXo
07-16-2011, 23:14
Alan actually recommended I go without the reinforced top simply for the comfort factor.

I decided to go ahead and get the reinforced option anyway and it's still very comfortable.

I may order one without to see how it feels in comparison though.

RobG
07-17-2011, 20:31
Alan actually recommended I go without the reinforced top simply for the comfort factor.

I decided to go ahead and get the reinforced option anyway and it's still very comfortable.

I may order one without to see how it feels in comparison though.

FWIW, I ordered one w/o the reinforced top for my G23. It's a bit thinner, and I like it, but I can't reholster with using one hand. The top doesn't stay open like the reinforced top does.

toocool
07-24-2011, 19:25
I hadn't had any intention of getting one of these, but I found a review of it on another forum, then started reading a bunch of other reviews. After reading all the reviews, I ordered one today for my Ruger LC9. I was basically looking for something quick and easy to put on for quick trips out, but from what I've read, it may become my preferred carry for the LC9. I hope to have it by next weekend and will give it a good wringing out. My hope is that by November, when Wisconsin's concealed carry takes effect, I'll be ready.

1canvas
07-24-2011, 19:37
I hadn't had any intention of getting one of these, but I found a review of it on another forum, then started reading a bunch of other reviews. After reading all the reviews, I ordered one today for my Ruger LC9. I was basically looking for something quick and easy to put on for quick trips out, but from what I've read, it may become my preferred carry for the LC9. I hope to have it by next weekend and will give it a good wringing out. My hope is that by November, when Wisconsin's concealed carry takes effect, I'll be ready.
quick and easy it is. you will really like it.

Electrikkoolaid
07-24-2011, 20:23
I'm confused.

If there are no clips holding it to your pants, how does it stay up and not fall down into the leg of your pants?

I assume it has some tacky grip to it... Does that mean you have to have snug pants to create the friction?

Someone mentioned using pajama bottoms to support the gun... Is that for real? I wear gym shorts a lot, and having a way to carry a G19 sized pistol in them would be great!

CrackerKen
07-24-2011, 21:37
I've only worn mine with snug pants. I had it on about 5 hours today - super comfortable.

As for pajama bottoms, there have been reports of it being worn that way, but I'd think it would be with a snug drawstring waist and not a stretch waist band. If only elastic, I would think gravity would win out.

gunslinger3
07-25-2011, 13:37
Just got my holster. A little confused. Online it says #6 is for my 26. The filler in the ziploc bag does not say that. It says 29, 30, 33, 36 and 39. I do have a 36 but bought this for my 26.

slickt0mmy
07-25-2011, 14:35
I was going to post a full review with pictures but so many people have done that already, I think I will just throw my name into the hat of people who LOVE their Remora. I have the Reinforced Top, Artemis Version. I've been wearing it around all day and I have to say, it rivals my MTAC in the comfort department. Especially when sitting down. I'd much rather go on a long car ride with this on than the MTAC.

I was skeptical at first about it not having any clips but let me tell you, this thing isn't going anywhere. I've jumped around the house, done cartwheels...generally just acted as maniacal as I can and the thing won't budge. My family, however, now thinks I'm insane. But that's nothing new. :supergrin:
The first time I took it back out from inside the waistband, I just grabbed the holster and yanked. Being that it's riding right around 7:00 (left handed) the grippy texture pulled my underwear right up with it, giving myself a wedgie. :rofl: Believe me, it's this holster has no problems staying in place.

As far as concealment, I'd say it's right on par with the MTAC and CBST. Mine is carrying my Glock 19 and you can BARELY see a little bump from the grip when I'm wearing just a t-shirt. Being that I'm a younger guy (22 years old), I don't much like to wear the loose fitting clothing often needed if you're going to conceal. Right now I'm wearing a fitted t-shirt from Express and I have no problems getting the gun to disappear.

Overall, I think there's no reason for everyone not to own a Remora. Its a great holster, easy to slip on, and extremely comfortable. Not to mention it's only $30. :cool:

DaneA
07-29-2011, 21:45
I figured I would just add to this thread. I picked up a Remora tonight for my wife. I figured I'd try it as I'd been thinking about one for the times when I'm in gym shorts or such. I must say I'm really surprised at how well it holds. I wore it around the house for a bit and it holds great in gym type shorts with the waistband snugged. It won't ever take the place of my CBST but for the evenings when I'm walking the dog or for a quick run up to the store it will be great. I'm going to have to go back and get another one so both the wife and I have one.

cowboy1964
07-29-2011, 22:22
I'd still rate the MTAC better in comfort. I can really feel the Remora starting to press on my side after just a little while of wearing it. It's also thicker than the MTAC, which doesn't help concealment at all. I also don't like how much adjusting it takes when I put it on to get it just right.

DaneA
07-29-2011, 22:29
I'd still rate the MTAC better in comfort. I can really feel the Remora starting to press on my side after just a little while of wearing it. It's also thicker than the MTAC, which doesn't help concealment at all. I also don't like how much adjusting it takes when I put it on to get it just right.

But it works well without a belt. Like I said it won't replace my CBST, but for certain situations it works well.

btj
07-30-2011, 19:49
After all these reviews (and considering the incredibly low price), I'm definitely getting one of these for my G29.

texas 48
07-30-2011, 19:56
After all these reviews (and considering the incredibly low price), I'm definitely getting one of these for my G29.

you won't regret it.

madcitycop
08-08-2011, 12:08
I ordered my first Remora a while ago when they first came on the scene. Like many here I loved it. Recently I decided to try the reinforced top model for my Sig 232. I think I've found a perfect combo for this gun!

did you get the low profile cut or whatever it is thats the "combat cut" If so id like to see a pic to compare to my regular cut.

NAS T MAG
08-08-2011, 14:31
Another plus for this holster (for Ohio residents) is that once the newly signed law regarding vehicle carry goes into effect around the end of September is that it is great to stick between the console and driver or passenger seat. Stays in place and really quick access.

cowboy1964
08-08-2011, 14:49
Another plus for this holster (for Ohio residents) is that once the newly signed law regarding vehicle carry goes into effect around the end of September is that it is great to stick between the console and driver or passenger seat. Stays in place and really quick access.

Interesting point, the Remora will indeed be very good for that. I think I will still carry on my hip though, for convenience reasons.

NAS T MAG
08-08-2011, 14:54
Interesting point, the Remora will indeed be very good for that. I think I will still carry on my hip though, for convenience reasons.

This would allow me 1 concealed, 1 in console and 1 quick access. The old 1 is none 2 is 1....:wavey:

slickt0mmy
08-08-2011, 14:59

Thanks for that! :wavey:
I'm counting down the days till September 30th and was wondering about a good way to mount a holster in my car. This seems like it will be a great option. :supergrin: