Thumb safety install on G23? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thumb safety install on G23?

Bikerboy
06-13-2011, 14:14
I am curious to find out if a thumb safety can be installed on my g23? I have been carying a 1911 for a long time and now have a glock. I love the glock but I am so used to the thumb safety. can this be done or are there other alternatives?

mpow66m
06-13-2011, 14:17
http://www.cominolli.com/intropage.html

PEC-Memphis
06-13-2011, 14:21
I am curious to find out if a thumb safety can be installed on my g23? I have been carying a 1911 for a long time and now have a glock. I love the glock but I am so used to the thumb safety. can this be done or are there other alternatives?

Yes.

http://www.cominolli.com/manualsafetykitglock.html

Personally, this is the only add-on safety device I'd consider for a Glock.

Bikerboy
06-13-2011, 14:35
Thanks for quick replies guys, appreciate the help. I have a gunsmith locally who should be able to install it. I don't want to part with my glock and go back to 1911's,reason is the glock I have just works, all day everyday w/any ammo. Now that's reliability!!:cool:

cciman
06-13-2011, 19:52
Use ur built in index safety, and forget the thumb safety.

You are in the glock dimensional reality now-- no reason to muck it up.

Glockrunner
06-16-2011, 05:40
Personally, I think you'll find this product hard to use as compared to the 1911. I would just learn the GLOCK without the added fuss.

Bikerboy
06-16-2011, 06:51
Thanks all. Ihave also looked at the siderlock trigger w button safety recomended by glock armorers. It makes more sense and easy to change. Now I'm just practicing w/unloaded G23 alot carrying and drawing and reholstering to get that muscle memory back for index finger off trigger until ready to fire.

cciman
06-16-2011, 22:33
That applies to all guns, not just the ones with button safeties, the invisible index safety.

... that muscle memory back for index finger off trigger until ready to fire.

PEC-Memphis
06-19-2011, 14:19
Thanks all. Ihave also looked at the siderlock trigger w button safety recomended by glock armorers. It makes more sense and easy to change. Now I'm just practicing w/unloaded G23 alot carrying and drawing and reholstering to get that muscle memory back for index finger off trigger until ready to fire.

While the slider lock is easier to install or remove, I'd avoid this device (and I'm a Glock armorer and do not recommend it - for what that's worth).

There are several threads discussing the pros and cons of the slider lock.

Ruggles
06-19-2011, 14:39
Nothing wrong with a thumb safety if you want one, they have been putting them on Glocks for years and years. If you want one then have one installed, regardless of what some may say it will indeed make the Glock safer to carry with a round chambered. Not that it is unsafe without it but if you are a 1911 guy and want one then get it I say. It will add a extra step before firing but if you are a 1911 I would not imagine it being much of a hindrance.

graycrait
06-24-2011, 06:18
I've installed 3 of the Cominolli thumb safeties myself. 1 for a friend and 2 for myself. Why? Just wanted to see if it made sense. Now that I have done it I may never do another. In my estimation the parts are kind of fiddly. They work, but I have this nagging question in my head. Therefore only my range glock has a Cominolli thumg safety installed and the friend who I installed one for has my other Glock that I installed one on. Knowing what I now know about the safety, how they work and how they perform day to day I would say pass on a Glock thumb safety and use a decent stiff leather holster or a plastic/kydex holster. Currently I have 4 "cocked & locked" pistols and I only use them at the range for various things. I feel safer with a non-thumb safety Glock as a carry gun.