Army dissing Leupold [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Army dissing Leupold

faawrenchbndr
06-13-2011, 18:25
So what's the story with the Army dissing Leupold?

I've heard rumors, but no one seems to want to discuss the issue.
What the heJJ is the deal?! :dunno:

Mayhem like Me
06-13-2011, 18:34
leupold is not near the quality they were 10-15 years ago

Cycletroll
06-13-2011, 18:46
I've owned a few Leupolds and 10-15 years ago they were an excellent value.
Today there are much better buys. I recently bought a Weaver Super Slam 2-10 that absolutlely smoked the leuplod VX-III 3-9 in sharpness and brightness and had killer target knobs, great warranty and was less money. The Vortex line of scopes are stellar optics and have a better warranty.

Airborne Infantryman
06-13-2011, 18:47
PM inbound.

AK_Stick
06-14-2011, 00:22
Everyone else has stepped up their game, and Leupold has pretty much stayed where they were growing fat off the military contracts they held.

That said, some of the new tactical lines are very nice.

Personally, I'm a fan of Ziess, and Swarvoski but I've still got a couple of Leupolds doing duty

doneroman
06-14-2011, 06:39
I'd say it has to do with the black market and the Leopolds being openly copied by the Chinese, but that's almost all scopes now. I think the last Mk IVs had a glut of Chinese knock offs?

MajorD
06-14-2011, 08:22
leupold would still be a much better choice than the tasco (yes it is true!) scopes given our squad designated marksman when I went to Iraq in 2004. Within a couple months those that still bothered carrying the m14's were doing so stripped of the optics- fogging sand in the turrets etc. absolute junk.

Chuck TX
06-14-2011, 09:54
Everyone else has stepped up their game, and Leupold has pretty much stayed where they were growing fat off the military contracts they held.

Personally, I'm a fan of Ziess, and Swarvoski but I've still got a couple of Leupolds doing duty

Yep. I have some older Leupolds that are ok, but they are worlds behind Zeiss and Swarovski. First time I tried a buddy's Zeiss, that was it, I switched. Keep the Leupolds on some hunting rifles I seldom use. Use the good stuff on the rifles I shoot most often.

faawrenchbndr
06-15-2011, 12:20
Thanks guys,.....was not pointing a finger toward anyone here. A recent
post here reminded me of a few threads I had read on ARFcom and others.

When active all I ever carried was an A2 or an M4,.......never got issued optics.

humanguerrilla
06-15-2011, 17:08
Lot of pictures of US optics and S&B scopes in use.

Was pumped about the leupold VTAC 1-8x Mark VIII until the usmc bought them for a friggin' heavy machine gun and grenade launcher and set price pushing $4k.

faawrenchbndr
06-15-2011, 17:14
I bought a Mark IV 3.5-10, should get to the house tomorrow.
Would LOVE a USO, SB or a NF,......but the wife would cut my balz off!

mpow66m
06-15-2011, 17:28

Can you recommend a good scope that wont break the bank for 100- 300 yds.Say 1/4 MOA?

iLift45's
06-15-2011, 18:48
leupold is not near the quality they were 10-15 years ago

I'm throwing the BS flag on this!! In what way? Every scope I have bought from them has been top notch! Dollar for dollar you are getting one hell of a scope for the price!

faawrenchbndr
06-15-2011, 19:22
This Mark IV will be my ninth Leupold scope since about 1994.
I've always been completely satisfied with the scopes. However, there is a heJJ
of a difference in hunting with a scope & using one in a environment like Afghanistan!

Greyhoundman
06-15-2011, 19:47
Can you recommend a good scope that wont break the bank for 100- 300 yds.Say 1/4 MOA?

I put a Nikon M223 scope (2-8 power) on an AR I recently built and am very happy with it. If I recall correctly it was on sale with the AR mount for around $320 or so.

Hoser
06-15-2011, 21:33
I'm throwing the BS flag on this!! In what way? Every scope I have bought from them has been top notch! Dollar for dollar you are getting one hell of a scope for the price!

It is not that they have gone downhill, but they certainly have not improved very much until the past two years when Nightforce, Premier and S&B put a huge ding in their military contracts.

My S&B scopes might be 2.5 times the cost of a Loopy MK-IV, but is night and day better. I still use a few Loopy 6.5-20s on my Silhouette rifles, but that is it.

I just got a 1.1-8 and time will tell how it holds up. So far I am impressed.

AK_Stick
06-16-2011, 02:25

You have to understand, top notch for a hunter/weekend shooter/class student, even police, is much different than that of what a soldier does.

For hunters, Leupold is still the benchmark. They're no the best, but they're probably the most common, reliable, dependable, solid optics. They offer lines from cheap, no frills straight forward fixed power, to high quality, high power, HD glass variables.

As years have gone by, they've not really improved their lines, while other brands have caught up, or surpassed them. Not too many years ago, I would have scoffed at the idea of topping a nice rifle with a Burris, or a Simmons. Leupold and Redfield were the popular names, because they produced a solid, quality product.

However, for the .mil, other companies, i.e. Nightforce, US Optics, and S&B, have all listened to what the .mil wanted. Better glass, higher powers, better reticules ect. They work better with NVGs ect.

The aforementioned turrets don't hold up real well in the sand, they're not as nice when you put a PVS-14 behind or a PVS-22/4 infront of the scope. For your average hunter/police/weekend shooter, these aren't really big concerns. For a soldier, they can be immensely big deals.

No one is saying Leupold is a bad company. They just rested on their laurels too long, and everyone else has caught up. Now they have to do some work to get back to where they were.

faawrenchbndr
06-16-2011, 04:44
Thanks for the info 'Stick. That's kinda what I thought it was.

Randolph da man
06-17-2011, 13:06
here is somehting Ive always noticed about leupy fans.
They ALWAYS talk about how awesome the warranty and customer service is.

Like AK stick, I prefer zeiss and Swarvoski
but ya know what.
I have no idea how their warranty is, Ive never had to send one back to the factory :p

06-18-2011, 03:53
here is somehting Ive always noticed about leupy fans.
They ALWAYS talk about how awesome the warranty and customer service is.

Like AK stick, I prefer zeiss and Swarvoski
but ya know what.
I have no idea how their warranty is, Ive never had to send one back to the factory :p
Zeiss customer service is top notch...I don't know about Leupold.
Had my Zeiss bino strap broke off. Sent it back to Zeiss expecting a bill. Came back fixed with no charge note.

AK_Stick
06-18-2011, 05:08
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/Hunting%2007/100_0617.jpg

If you can break a Ziess, they will make it right.

faawrenchbndr
06-18-2011, 05:35
Will have to see what sh does when I get to the range. So far, I'm very pleased.
Either I've been lucky for the last 17 years, or I just baby my stuff. I've never had
any issues with scopes, even the first Bushnell Trophy I had. Here's my new baby.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/FN%20SPR/FNSPRa1apic2.jpg

iLift45's
06-18-2011, 06:52
Will have to see what sh does when I get to the range. So far, I'm very pleased.
Either I've been lucky for the last 17 years, or I just baby my stuff. I've never had
any issues with scopes, even the first Bushnell Trophy I had. Here's my new baby.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/FN%20SPR/FNSPRa1apic2.jpg

Nice looking rifle!! .308??

dfsutton
06-18-2011, 15:08
It is not that they have gone downhill, but they certainly have not improved very much until the past two years when Nightforce, Premier and S&B put a huge ding in their military contracts.

My S&B scopes might be 2.5 times the cost of a Loopy MK-IV, but is night and day better. I still use a few Loopy 6.5-20s on my Silhouette rifles, but that is it.

I just got a 1.1-8 and time will tell how it holds up. So far I am impressed.

Which brand of 1.1-8x scope did you just get our hands on? The Leupold, or did another 1-8 drop and I not here about it?

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
-- Thomas Jefferson

"No one is more hopelessly enslaved, than the person who falsely believes he is free."
-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

faawrenchbndr
06-18-2011, 15:47
Nice looking rifle!! .308??

Yes Sir,.......:supergrin:

Hoser
06-18-2011, 17:15
Which brand of 1.1-8x scope did you just get our hands on?

The Loopy 1-8. So far I am very happy. Not sure what rifle it will live on though. Too heavy for a game gun and not enough power for a long range rifle. I have a feeling it will end up on a coyote gun or my OBR.

Mayhem like Me
06-18-2011, 22:22

no you actually are not they have turned into run of the mill consumer grade, big issues in the quality of turret adjustments and overall light gathering ability.
You nay have had some good ones but their days as a great scope are over.

dfsutton
06-18-2011, 22:34
The Loopy 1-8. So far I am very happy. Not sure what rifle it will live on though. Too heavy for a game gun and not enough power for a long range rifle. I have a feeling it will end up on a coyote gun or my OBR.

By game gun, you mean 3 gun or other competition?

What is the weight on the Loopy 1-8?

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
-- Thomas Jefferson

"No one is more hopelessly enslaved, than the person who falsely believes he is free."
-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Hoser
06-19-2011, 07:35
By game gun, you mean 3 gun or other competition?

What is the weight on the Loopy 1-8?

Yup. 3-gun.

Without rings, and choices for lightweight rings are slim, it weighs about 23-24 ounces. My S&B Short Dot run about 18-19 ounces.

White Buffalo
06-19-2011, 11:44
leupy's used to be a great scope for the money. Hasn't been the case for at least a decade.

humanguerrilla
06-22-2011, 02:31

What did you give for it? The S&B 1-8 short dot is $2600. Is there really $4k of scope there?

Hoser
06-22-2011, 06:32
What did you give for it? The S&B 1-8 short dot is $2600. Is there really $4k of scope there?

The S&B 1-8 is not out yet. As far as the Loopy, it is nice, but not 4K nice. I paid a lot less than that for it.

BBJones
06-22-2011, 10:17

When S&B's 1-8 come out they will be around 4k too, I would imagine.

humanguerrilla
06-23-2011, 03:09
http://swfa.com/Schmidt-Bender-1-8x24-Short-Dot-PM-II-30mm-Riflescope-P47551.aspx

Preorder/backorder not in stock at SWFA and others? Noticed it is not on their website.

AK_Stick
06-23-2011, 08:32
Thats sexy.....