G26 or G27? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G26 or G27?

GOOFA
06-14-2011, 02:43
Hello Mas... I know that one of your favorite CCW's is the Glock 30. My question is if you are at all familiar with the G26 & 27, do you have a preference of one over the other or would the situation dictate which one you would take? Thank you.

Mas Ayoob
06-14-2011, 09:29
As you surmised, it depends on circumstances. I do have all three in my "carry roatation," along with the Glock 33.

The "baby Glock" is enough smaller than the G30 that I can carry one in an ankle holster if I have to, or in a pocket of BDUs or Dockers type pants; for me, the G30 is about one size too big for that.

For carry on the hip under photographer's vest, blazer, etc., the G30 is just right. I also like the G30 anytime I'm in a cold weather environment. If heavy clothing plugs the JHPs and turns them into flat nosed ball, I want them to turn into big, .45 caliber flat nosed ball.

If I'll be in a more formal environment wearing a tailored suit, the baby Glock will bulge a little less, and I'm more likely to carry that.

If I'm traveling to a Glock match where I'll be using a Glock 26 9mm for the Subcompact event, it may find its way into service as a backup gun en route; one less gun I have to take with me. I use 26 instead of 27 or 33 for that simply because recoil is less and ammo is cheaper.

If I'm carrying a Glock .40 as primary, the little G27 is a logical choice for backup. I don't carry the G33 on long trips because availability of the best .357 SIG ammo is spotty. At home, there's enough that I don't worry about it, and I do like the caliber. If I'm carrying a 9mm Glock on the road, a G26 that takes the same magazines makes sense for backup.

Each of us has to assess our needs, wardrobe, weather, and all of that. Congratulations for being smart enough to do exactly that!

best,
Mas