Looking for a kydex (or similar) thigh righ AR mag holder [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a kydex (or similar) thigh righ AR mag holder

RF7126
06-14-2011, 11:24
Hi all,
I have a good friend going overseas soon and he has requested a thigh rig for his M4 mags. I believe he said at least 4, preferably 6 mags. He also insisted it not be nylon or flimsy but more like a kydex style for the mag holders, and of course in coyote tan.

I've googled and searched GT and couldn't find what I needed, but perhaps I'm not using the right term. Any help or advice about it in general would be greatly appreciated.

I did see Blackhawk made a general thigh rig for attachments, but did not see any AR mag attachments off-hand. If one can put those mags on it, is this something that would work for him? He'll be in the middle of combat operations so I need something sturdy, secure, and durable.

RyanNREMTP
06-14-2011, 12:23
I have seen the Blackhawk thigh rig for M4 mags but it doesn't hold anywhere near to what you are looking for. I think the most it held was 2-3 mags if I remember correctly.

AK_Stick
06-14-2011, 12:32
I run a leg rig for the M-4, but I've never seen a kydex drop leg for 4 or more mags.

Why is he so insistent on not running nylon?

AaronZR2
06-14-2011, 20:58
http://blade-tech.com/Triple-Hip-Pouch-pr-973.html
Can be double stacked on request for a total of 6 mags

RF7126
06-14-2011, 22:17
I have seen the Blackhawk thigh rig for M4 mags but it doesn't hold anywhere near to what you are looking for. I think the most it held was 2-3 mags if I remember correctly.

Thanks, that's one I was looking at so far.

I run a leg rig for the M-4, but I've never seen a kydex drop leg for 4 or more mags.

Why is he so insistent on not running nylon?

I probably should double check with him on that then, maybe it was wishful thinking. As far as the nylon I'm not 100% sure. I'm guessing he had some durability issues with nylon previously...but he's also a Marine so maybe he just wants it to match his holster. :supergrin:

http://blade-tech.com/Triple-Hip-Pouch-pr-973.html
Can be double stacked on request for a total of 6 mags

Hadn't seen that! Thanks!

surf
06-14-2011, 23:09
As mentioned I also do not know of a kydex set up that holds more than 3. I built my own out of the original BladeTech's right after they were released and using a spare Safariland drop leg shroud, but now you can buy one however 3 is the most I have seen. Or you could make a 6 pack holder out of kydex pouches if you wanted to make your own.

I am personally not a big fan of drop leg holsters or subloads and find them very mission specific.

AK_Stick
06-15-2011, 00:57
If he's having durability issues, don't buy cheap crap. Quality kit lasts for a very long time.

And surf is correct, I would make absolutely sure he wants to run a leg rig before you spend any money on this, as they are cumbersome, and often unless you're required to run a sub-load get left off because of their drawbacks.

RF7126
06-15-2011, 10:42
As mentioned I also do not know of a kydex set up that holds more than 3. I built my own out of the original BladeTech's right after they were released and using a spare Safariland drop leg shroud, but now you can buy one however 3 is the most I have seen. Or you could make a 6 pack holder out of kydex pouches if you wanted to make your own.

I am personally not a big fan of drop leg holsters or subloads and find them very mission specific.

And surf is correct, I would make absolutely sure he wants to run a leg rig before you spend any money on this, as they are cumbersome, and often unless you're required to run a sub-load get left off because of their drawbacks.
I agree with you guys, I'm not a fan of leg rigs either but he very specifically wanted to carry extra mags that way. I guess it works for him. :dunno:

If he's having durability issues, don't buy cheap crap. Quality kit lasts for a very long time.

If I can convince him to go with nylon, is there one you'd recommend?

MrMurphy
06-15-2011, 23:58
Agreed..... i hate leg rigs with a passion.

We had one or two stupid kids who ran SIX mags (in nylon) on leg rigs for a few static posts. Since they never had to walk very far, we let it slide, 19 yr olds can be dumb.

The only reason I would run a subload is if absolutely necessary to get a couple 'everything else is gone' backup mags out of the way and i was carrying something like a lot of 40mm. I can't think of anyone making kydex for a leg rig over 2 mags.

There is a reason for that.......

AK_Stick
06-16-2011, 02:13
I run an ATS 6 mag, on a TAG subload.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/SO%20Tech%20Go%20Bag/IMG_0755.jpg

As Murph said, its not really the most convenient way to go about it. However, because of my flight gear, its the lesser of two evils.

MrMurphy
06-17-2011, 00:01
You have a very specialized need, most don't.

AK_Stick
06-17-2011, 01:40
Oh yeah, we're in complete agreement there.

I wouldn't suggest it unless there's a reason you can't belt or vest carry your mags.

RF7126
06-17-2011, 11:32
Agreed..... i hate leg rigs with a passion.

We had one or two stupid kids who ran SIX mags (in nylon) on leg rigs for a few static posts. Since they never had to walk very far, we let it slide, 19 yr olds can be dumb.

The only reason I would run a subload is if absolutely necessary to get a couple 'everything else is gone' backup mags out of the way and i was carrying something like a lot of 40mm. I can't think of anyone making kydex for a leg rig over 2 mags.

There is a reason for that.......

I wouldn't suggest it unless there's a reason you can't belt or vest carry your mags.

I completely understand where you guys are coming from. I had the option for a drop leg rig at my PD but I had no desire to do that for a variety of reasons.

I run an ATS 6 mag, on a TAG subload.

Ok, I got ahold of him today and he's okay with nylon now as long as it's tan, but still wants a 6 mag .
Is this^ one you'd recommend? Any other good nylon ones you guys know of?

AK_Stick
06-17-2011, 12:07
yes, if he's absolutely set on a 6 mag leg rig, thats exactly the set up I would suggest.

Its got a quick release buckle to attach to the belt, so you can ditch it if you need to, and the buckles and straps on the legs hold adjustments the best that I've found.

MrMurphy
06-17-2011, 23:57
Does he truly understand how much that is going to suck for walking any distance (as in, more than 40 yards)?

It's a ton of weight beating the hell out of his leg. I don't even like wearing a 6004 when i can avoid it, a 6280 on an extender works better even with armor.

AK stick is a special case, he's aircrew, not walking with it, and he has a ton of other crap on.

RF7126
06-18-2011, 00:21
yes, if he's absolutely set on a 6 mag leg rig, thats exactly the set up I would suggest.

Its got a quick release buckle to attach to the belt, so you can ditch it if you need to, and the buckles and straps on the legs hold adjustments the best that I've found.
Thanks, I'll definitely check that out.

Does he truly understand how much that is going to suck for walking any distance (as in, more than 40 yards)?

It's a ton of weight beating the hell out of his leg. I don't even like wearing a 6004 when i can avoid it, a 6280 on an extender works better even with armor.

AK stick is a special case, he's aircrew, not walking with it, and he has a ton of other crap on.
Honestly I'm not sure. He already did a full deployment in Iraq including some combat operations so I can only assume that he has an idea. I agree with you completely, I can't stand having heavy objects (especially 6 full mags!) attached to my leg, particularly while running. I'm just hoping that when he gets tired of it and knocks it down to two mags (knowing him he'll at least keep that) that he'll stick something else useful in it. :supergrin:

RF7126
06-20-2011, 23:02
Okay you guys have been awesome in helping me but I need just a little bit more help since I'm not familiar with AR/M4 stuff:

What's the difference between these two (other than price):

http://www.tacgearstore.com/condor-drop-platform-p-176.html

http://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/molledroplegplatform.aspx#prod-features

Is this the mag pouch? I assume it has MOLLE attachments?
http://www.atstacticalgear.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=ST-12358

AK_Stick
06-21-2011, 00:11
Condor makes airsoft gear. They cut corners and stuff, and thats why their gear is cheaper than other companies. I wouldn't trust their QC if my life depended upon it.

The TAG panel, you have listed and the ATS shingle, are the same ones I run.

RF7126
06-21-2011, 00:37
Condor makes airsoft gear. They cut corners and stuff, and thats why their gear is cheaper than other companies. I wouldn't trust their QC if my life depended upon it.

The TAG panel, you have listed and the ATS shingle, are the same ones I run.

Thanks, I kinda wondered if that's why it was cheaper. Especially given he apparently wants 6 mags I'd better make sure it's sturdy lol.

RF7126
06-21-2011, 00:55
Okay it's all been ordered. Thanks to everyone for your help! AK_Stick I went with your recommendation, thanks. I suspect you and MrMurphy are right and he will probably go with no more than 3 at a time (knowing him he'll still use some there) but hopefully that'll help. You guys use some expensive gear! I thought it was just cop stuff that's up there but nope...

AK_Stick
06-21-2011, 01:46
I write off a big chunk of my gear purchases every year as work related ;) but yes, that stuff is expensive. And nylon is just the cheap end of it.

I know you just spent a good chunk of change, and I'm not trying to bleed you dry, but if he doesn't already have a set, you might want to push him in the direction of a pair of suspenders. They'll make carrying that weight, alot more comfortable.

RF7126
06-21-2011, 02:13
I know you just spent a good chunk of change, and I'm not trying to bleed you dry, but if he doesn't already have a set, you might want to push him in the direction of a pair of suspenders. They'll make carrying that weight, alot more comfortable.

I hope he already has some, because that was money that I'd been saving for my gear. :embarassed: But I appreciate the recommendation!

MrMurphy
06-21-2011, 06:21
When your life depends on your equipment i have no problems spending some money.

My unit rarely issued a lot of what we really needed or didn't issue it to the right people.

By the time I got out the only issued items I had were my armor, helmet, rifle and optic.

Personal sling, weaponlight, handheld light, knife, assault pack, most of the contents of the assault pack (they did issue the Goretex and various bits) and towards the end, they did issue the DF-LCS MOLLE kit, but for 2+ years I wore my own pouches.