Dog was bit, would you have done something different? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dog was bit, would you have done something different?

Hoonz
06-14-2011, 16:05
Hi Mas,

I was visiting my mom's place yesterday, and she had brought in a stray dog, despite me telling her over the phone she should keep it outside for now. She said how "friendly and nice" it was, so I brought my dachshund over. Indeed it seemed nice. I went to another room and opened a can of dog food for my dog (the stray had some in its pan). The dog suddenly came in, there was growling, then it latched its jaws around my dog (all happened in 5 seconds or less). I punched and kicked it, and it let loose finally. My dog was choking for air. I took her collar off and put her somewhere safe, only seeing a small speck of blood.

I kicked the dog outside as it was still growling, and pulled out my glock. I decided not to, maybe because of my mom, although she wasn't there at the time. I shot a quick pepper spray burst at it (which it didn't react to besides blinking one eye a few times).

My brother told me he would have definitely shot it. Later on, I thought I would have too if I'd have known the injury extent- she was sliced 1/3rd of the way around down to muscle tissue. I rushed her to the vet, and animal control picked up the dog. The likelihood of her recovery is unknown so far.

Would you have shot the stray dog?

Mas Ayoob
06-15-2011, 14:57
Depends on the circumstances. A dogfight moves fast, and there's always the possibility of your pet moving into the trajectory of your shot as you press the trigger. A miss or shoot-through can spatter lead, and ricochets from hard surfaces below or behind the animal have been known to happen.

There have also been cases of pet owners or other antagonistic witnesses falsely claiming that whomever shot the dog also threatened them with the gun. Depending on location and local ordnances, firing a gun within city limits could also be a problem if you can't establish that it was absolutely necessary.

All things considered, you handled it pretty well by physically separating the animals and not resorting to the gun.

best,
Mas