Glock Sport Combat holster questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock Sport Combat holster questions

kmb
06-14-2011, 18:29
I just got a Glock Sport Combat holster for my G27, and have a couple questions. First, where would you suggest wearing the holster for maximum concealment with a t-shirt/polo/hawaiian shirt? And second, any suggestions about removing the extra 'bars' from the belt loops? Basically, I'm wondering if creating more forward cant when fitting it to a belt helps with concealment.

Thanks

WarCry
06-14-2011, 18:55
I just got a Glock Sport Combat holster for my G27, and have a couple questions. First, where would you suggest wearing the holster for maximum concealment with a t-shirt/polo/hawaiian shirt? And second, any suggestions about removing the extra 'bars' from the belt loops? Basically, I'm wondering if creating more forward cant when fitting it to a belt helps with concealment.

Thanks

I did remove a few of the bars to get a fit I wanted, just be careful because if you slip, you'll leave it a useless piece of plastic.

I also cut a notch out on the left side so I can drop the magazine without unholstering if need be. Being in IL, I can't carry out of the house. When I carry in/around the house, I don't keep a round in the chamber, so I can clear the weapon without ever removing it.

I went a little further, took out one of the "grip" bulges inside to make for faster drawing. It's still tight, and it's never going to just fall out. Just a little smoother this way. (*ok, I know one of the grip deals is gone, but take a look at yours: you might lose one already if you put a notch for the mag release)

As for where to wear it, I'm left handed, so I wear it between 8 and 9 o'clock, and it seems to work well. My wife doesn't notice when I wear it with just a t-shirt over it.

BailRecoveryAgent
06-15-2011, 00:34
Whether carrying IWB or OWB, the only place the gun feels right to me is in the 3:00 position. More forward cant will help with concealment, but with the G27 being short gripped anyway I don't know that it will make that big of a difference. Larger guns benefit the most being carried canted forward, but it certainly won't hurt canting the G27.

TsunamiMike
06-15-2011, 06:53
Would you wear this as a CCW holster? for the price i am surprised at the durability but will it print? I have a G22 and waiting for my G26 to come in. I need this for double duty, range days and CCW...

What are your thoughts? BTW i keep a round chambered..

Lampshade
06-15-2011, 07:57
Tsunami, it conceals better than you would imagine.

It has replaced my Kholster, which as an IWB. The sport combat holster conceals just as well IMO.

WarCry
06-15-2011, 08:05
Tsunami, it conceals better than you would imagine.

It has replaced my Kholster, which as an IWB. The sport combat holster conceals just as well IMO.

I saw somewhere on here when I started a few years back where someone took this holster, some clips from something like the Crossbreed SuperTuck holster, and a rivet gun and turned this into an IWB holster. No idea who it was or where to find the pics, but it was a pretty clever setup....

TsunamiMike
06-15-2011, 08:25
i have a mtac IWB that i like but i am a husky guy so the flap covers the hole for reholstering so it is a pain, plus my pant size is big enough already...

Any tips on using the sport holster, positions, etc? Does it scratch the tenifer at all?

WarCry
06-15-2011, 08:59
i have a mtac IWB that i like but i am a husky guy so the flap covers the hole for reholstering so it is a pain, plus my pant size is big enough already...

Any tips on using the sport holster, positions, etc? Does it scratch the tenifer at all?

My Glock lives in this holster, whether I have it on or not. Under my bed (in easy reach at night) to and from the range, etc, it covers the trigger so it seems a good, safe storage option. Never noticed a hint of a scuff or scratch after......nearly 3 years now? Something like that....

Tenifer, BTW, is NOT the finish on the slide. Tenifer is a trademark name for a process of hardening the steel. The black finish happens AFTER the Tenifer process, and does have anything to do with the hardening. It's purely cosmetic. If you grabbed sandpaper and buffed off ALLL the black you can see on the slide, you still wouldn't do anything to Tenifer hardening process/properties.

TsunamiMike
06-15-2011, 09:13
i would assume mine would live in the holster as well, this wont be possible for my current MTAC as i could carry it but couldn't pull it when needed...

kmb
06-15-2011, 15:22

I've only had the holster for about a day now, and have only worn it around the house (employer frowns on carrying at work). I initially wore it at about 4-4:30 and noticed the tail of the grip printing, but my wife didn't notice it unless I twisted and leaned a funny way. The 3:00-ish location suggested by BailRecoveryAgent seems pretty comfortable, and seems to conceal better - still a bit of printing sometimes, but that's probably just my 'new guy paranoia'.

I have some small 'handles' due to a bit of excess weight, but it's not too bad. So far the only problem was getting pinched on my side when holstering it the first time. Using my free hand to hold the holster away from my side takes care of that.

So far, I'm pretty impressed with my $13 holster.

kmb
06-15-2011, 15:28
I saw somewhere on here when I started a few years back where someone took this holster, some clips from something like the Crossbreed SuperTuck holster, and a rivet gun and turned this into an IWB holster. No idea who it was or where to find the pics, but it was a pretty clever setup....

Hopefully this won't upset the mods or get me banned, but take a look here...

http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26554

I agree, it looks like a pretty good idea. I'm thinking of ordering another holster just to give this a try.

WarCry
06-15-2011, 15:46

I agree, it looks like a pretty good idea. I'm thinking of ordering another holster just to give this a try.

For the price, compared to what you CAN spend for a holster, it's still not a waste to get one or two to try different things.

Patchman
06-15-2011, 16:46
For the price, compared to what you CAN spend for a holster, it's still not a waste to get one or two to try different things.

^^^^This is the bottom line truth about this holster. It can do a lot of things and do them reasonably well. And at the price, you can get a couple of them to experiment.

kmb
06-15-2011, 21:06
I need to fit mine to a 1.5" belt. Anybody have any suggestions about whether to remove bars to go with a higher ride, or a lower ride? It's only about 1/4", but does it make a difference?

Lampshade
06-15-2011, 21:17
I need to fit mine to a 1.5" belt. Anybody have any suggestions about whether to remove bars to go with a higher ride, or a lower ride? It's only about 1/4", but does it make a difference?

I think its a high riding holster either way, but I use it on a 1.5" belt and I just cut out the top rungs.

poodleshooter1
06-15-2011, 21:19

That's a nice setup.

Bill Lumberg
06-16-2011, 09:56
3 or 6 o'clock works fine. Tenifer is a metal treatment. It doesn't get scratched by any holster, and you wouldn't be able to see it if it did.