How do you choose a holster without going broke? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you choose a holster without going broke?

onebadtwo
06-14-2011, 20:46
I am new to carrying and just picked up a new G26 to use as my primary CCW. How do you pick a holster without spending tons of money getting something that just plain doesn't work for you? I like the IWB holsters such as the CrossBreed, the MTAC, and the KingTuk. But how do you choose which is best? I am also not totally opposed to carrying OWB but there seem to be TONS of choices in that market! I picked up a DeSantis Nemisis today just to get me by with the G26.

Folsom_Prison
06-14-2011, 21:02
Just do yourself the favor and buy the supertuck. I've had mine for over a year now and couldn't be happier.

jeffyjeff
06-14-2011, 21:04
whatever you buy, you can most likely find someone to resell it to if doesn't work for you.

personally, when i bought my first handgun for ccw -- also a g26 -- i also bought a horsehide cbst as my first holster and found it works perfect for me~

Travclem
06-14-2011, 21:08
Without intent starting a pissing match I'll tell you that the MTAC is the best holster you listed IMO. Before long you'll end up with a drawer full of holsters like the rest of us.

I believe GT used to have a holster borrowing thing set up where you could try different holsters.

LongGoneDays
06-14-2011, 21:10
I had a long time to formulate an idea before I'd even bought my first carry pistol.
Do a lot of research, compare product descriptions and word of mouth to what you need.

For me I wanted IWB and leather, with straps that allow me to take the gun off without removing my belt. I went from there and got 2 different holsters from highnoonholsters.com

Love them both for their intended dress.

1canvas
06-14-2011, 21:50
i kept reading here on GT about holsters and have to say i have a good collection of holsters for my glock 27 and all serve a purpose, no extras. M-Tac, Glock Sport Combat, Galco Miami Classic, Galco Ankle Glove, Fobus, Blackawk Serpa, Mr. Softy, Uncle Mikes IWB, and a Unkle Mikes pocket holster. after a lot of reading this is what i have come up with and all serve me well. the M-Tac and Uncle Mikes is the only ones i bought new, the rest were bought off GT classified at really good prices.

Ruggles
06-14-2011, 22:04
Awwww shut up and spend way too much money on way too many holsters that don't work like the rest of us :tongueout:

I really do not know the answer, holster that work well for one person do not work well for others due to body shape size etc. :dunno:

cowboy1964
06-14-2011, 22:12
This is why I don't like to spend more than $70-80 tops on a holster (and prefer $30-40).

MTAC is my favorite. Blade-Tech Nano is second. I sold one holster on EBay for about a 50% loss. Better than having it sit around unused though.

up1911fan
06-14-2011, 22:18
Um, trade or sell what you don't like or need.

RetailNinjitsu
06-14-2011, 22:19
The best way to avoid going broke finding the right holster is to purchase the MTAC and forget about the rest. I have a huge plastic bin full of holsters that I did not like. I now have an MTAC for every gun that I carry concealed with the exception of my LCP. The Crossbreed doesn't even come close IMHO.

boomhower
06-15-2011, 01:48
The best way to avoid going broke finding the right holster is to purchase the MTAC and forget about the rest. I have a huge plastic bin full of holsters that I did not like. I now have an MTAC for every gun that I carry concealed with the exception of my LCP. The Crossbreed doesn't even come close IMHO.

This man speaks the truth. I absolutely love my MTAC. I've carried a G22, G27, and P239 with it. All were comfortable. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Captains1911
06-15-2011, 06:46
Another vote here for the MTAC. I'm not saying it will work for you, but it seems to have a much higher success rate than most holsters, so you might as well start there. I have yet to try a CrossBreed, but it's design is similar to that of the MTAC, and they offer a 2 week trial period.

Lampshade
06-15-2011, 08:01
The sport combat holster is cheap, yet incredibly functional for just about any use.

Seems a good place to start.

John Rambo
06-15-2011, 08:10
Step 1 - Disregard everything you read about 'tactical', everything you read from gun nerds who walk around ready for the Russians to paradrop out of choppers, all of the catchy marketing which makes it seem like that holster will make you Quick-Draw McGraw, all of that crap.

Step 2 - Figure out what you're looking for in a holster. Material, design, features.

Step 3 - Go play with a few if you can find them. Check ranges, gun shows, and most importantly internet sites for good pictures and then when you find one you might want, check out testimonials about the manufacturer, the brand line, and the specific holster.

I have two holsters. I've only ever owned two holsters. An Uncle Mike's Sidekick and a Galco IWB snap holster. They cost me less than 50 bucks between the two of them. I carry them all the time. They have never failed me.

IndyGunFreak
06-15-2011, 08:24
Most manufacturers have a return policy... While you'll have to pay to return the holster, and your refund will be less shipping to send it to you.. you'll probably be out 10-15 bucks total on that..

While I can't speak for Crossbreed, I imagine he does.

Most important thing... GET A GUN BELT FIRST... Then start buying/trying holsters. A proper belt will cause a holster to carry much differently than carrying on WalMart/Carhart/etcj junk. If you don't, any holster you try is gonna suck, and you're constantly gonna be trying new holsters....

Personally, I would get an M-Tac... I've always gotten great service from them, and the owner isn't a ******.... Comp-Tac has a 30 day return policy.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

If you buy a quality holster though, you should be able to "flip" it if you don't like it. You have a really common pistol. Your biggest issue w/ flipping a holster on a forum, is your low post count (right or wrong, people probably won't trust you).

Holsters tend to sell OK on ebay.

HexHead
06-15-2011, 08:30
Get something to use temporarily while waiting for a Milt Sparks Versa-Max 2 to be made for you. There's cheaper holsters out there, but none better. On the off chance you don't like it, you can sell it for 30-50% more than you paid for it.

Spats McGee
06-15-2011, 08:41
(1) Get a good gunbelt; and (2) another good option is Tommy Theis: http://theisholsters.com/

John Rambo
06-15-2011, 08:42
Most manufacturers have a return policy... While you'll have to pay to return the holster, and your refund will be less shipping to send it to you.. you'll probably be out 10-15 bucks total on that..

While I can't speak for Crossbreed, I imagine he does.

Most important thing... GET A GUN BELT FIRST... Then start buying/trying holsters. A proper belt will cause a holster to carry much differently than carrying on WalMart/Carhart/etcj junk. If you don't, any holster you try is gonna suck, and you're constantly gonna be trying new holsters....

Personally, I would get an M-Tac... I've always gotten great service from them, and the owner isn't a ******.... Comp-Tac has a 30 day return policy.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

If you buy a quality holster though, you should be able to "flip" it if you don't like it. You have a really common pistol. Your biggest issue w/ flipping a holster on a forum, is your low post count (right or wrong, people probably won't trust you).

Holsters tend to sell OK on ebay.

Without getting into the eternal "Super Tactical Wilderness Survavilist instructor special forces covert ops gunbelt" issue, I also want to state that I own no gunbelts. The only time I wear a belt (a regular, double-loop belt from Wal-Mart) with my holster is when I'm wearing basketball shorts or something else - with jeans and khakis the weapon stays secured just fine.

Before anyone jumps me on this...The guy asked how to just get a holster to carry his weapon in without going broke; I'm trying to get him there in a no-frills way.

Crimp
06-15-2011, 09:47
How do you pick a holster without spending tons of money getting something that just plain doesn't work for you?

Just like this! Ask the question here and evaluate the answers.

I like the IWB holsters such as the CrossBreed, the MTAC, and the KingTuk. But how do you choose which is best?

Do yourself a favor -- if you decide you like that type of holster, save a lot of money and waiting time by considering a Tommy Theis holster (http://theisholsters.com/). If you don't like it, you can return it, but I bet you keep it.

IndyGunFreak
06-15-2011, 10:25
Without getting into the eternal "Super Tactical Wilderness Survavilist instructor special forces covert ops gunbelt" issue, I also want to state that I own no gunbelts. The only time I wear a belt (a regular, double-loop belt from Wal-Mart) with my holster is when I'm wearing basketball shorts or something else - with jeans and khakis the weapon stays secured just fine.

Before anyone jumps me on this...The guy asked how to just get a holster to carry his weapon in without going broke; I'm trying to get him there in a no-frills way.

Been there done that on the Wal Mart, Carhart, etc.. belts.

No way would it work for me. Bottom line, something might be cheap, but if it's not comfortable, he's not gonna use it.

Do a search on any gun forum, and find the many "carry issues" that have been solved by getting a quality belt. Get a gun belt.

IGF

aaronmj
06-15-2011, 10:55
http://www.rossroadbags.com/product.php?sku=1329

I bought this holster - first glock (G27) and first holster because its IWB AND OWB and it's SOOOOOOOO nice. I'd highly recommend it.

Bill Lumberg
06-15-2011, 12:04
Get a glock sport holster for under $20.00, put it on a gunbelt, and wait a while. If you have any desire for another holster, check the websites of the major holster manufacturers. Avoid Uncle Mike and FOBUS products. They cost more than they are worth.
I am new to carrying and just picked up a new G26 to use as my primary CCW. How do you pick a holster without spending tons of money getting something that just plain doesn't work for you? I like the IWB holsters such as the CrossBreed, the MTAC, and the KingTuk. But how do you choose which is best? I am also not totally opposed to carrying OWB but there seem to be TONS of choices in that market! I picked up a DeSantis Nemisis today just to get me by with the G26.

Deaf Smith
06-15-2011, 16:32
How do you pick a holster without spending tons of money getting something that just plain doesn't work for you?

Hard to say onebad.

I have a good size bag of holsters!

Maybe you can find some guy at the shooting ranges you frequent and they will have a bag of holsters to and you can try some.

Sad isn't it.

Deaf

Jason D
06-15-2011, 16:49
I have had my CCW since 2001.
In that time, I have accumulated dozens of holsters in search of the perfect holster.

I am still looking.

ashecht
06-15-2011, 17:03
Try shieldedholsters.com. Kurtis is a GT member and sells a holster similar to a cbst for $50 shipped. Lifetime guarantee. Quick shipping. I have one for my 3 glocks and ordered another for my new m&p

swinokur
06-15-2011, 17:27
There is no BEST. Get feedback, read reviews, ask questions here. You may not like the first ones you get, but most can be returned. If you google a holster, that's a good way to fead reviews and look at many products..

I ended up with a CBST for my Glocks, a Tucker The Answer for my Kimber, and a Theis holster for my Smith 1076. It also depends on what gun you have and how you want to carry it. I have 1 Milt Sparks VMII for my Kimber and 2 more ordered for these other guns. I can afford it so I wanted to see what all the raving was about. Long wait, not cheap. Worth it? to me,yes

Don't buy from a maker who won't let you return the holster if you don't like it.

my .02

onebadtwo
06-15-2011, 19:48
Thanks everybody! Seems like holster selection is about as clear as mud! I'll probably pick up a Glock sport holster to see how I like OWB. How do the KingTuk, CBST, Comptac's line, the Shielded, and now the Theis compare? What makes one better than the other to you?
Thanks
Curtis

ratf51
06-15-2011, 20:10
To the OP (onebadtwo): No-no-no, you don't get it: in order to do it right you are required to buy (over time, mind you) a bunch of different holsters, that at the time seem like they will each "be the one" only to discover that the grass is greener on the other belt. Thus, when the smoke clears and the dust settles you have a big box 'o holsters, like the rest of us. If you're gonna play, play by the rules! Happy hunting!

Brutus Fullman
06-15-2011, 22:47
(1) Get a good gunbelt; and (2) another good option is Tommy Theis: http://theisholsters.com/

+1 for Tommy - price/quality/customer service equations are among the best.

Gdirty5
06-15-2011, 23:02
The thiesholster, shielded, kingtuk, and cbst all look pretty much the same to me. I own a shielded holster, and for the price its a good holster. I've tried the kingtuk which is also comfortable (and available locally to me, huge plus), but over all i like my MTAC over the other two... I own one for my g19 and another for my xd9sc and found that it concealed on ME better, i like the plastic clips, they are easy on/off and doesnt take up too much space on the belt, and the overall finish of the holster is better.

Another alternative is the CTAC, thats the holster Ive been using the most lately. Since its fully kydex i dont worry about sweat against the holster, the thing just feels smaller and thinner, its light, easy on and off, holds close to the body and is just a great holster. Plus the "click" you hear when you holster/unholster the gun gives me reassurance.

Comptac also makes the infidel which i use for my m&p. Great holster like the ctac, but it goes on easier. Its a great holster for a compact gun. Galco makes the trident which is very similar, plus with the design, my guns with tall sights still clear it easily.

jeffyjeff
06-15-2011, 23:06
Thanks everybody! Seems like holster selection is about as clear as mud! I'll probably pick up a Glock sport holster to see how I like OWB. How do the KingTuk, CBST, Comptac's line, the Shielded, and now the Theis compare? What makes one better than the other to you?
Thanks
Curtis

shielded, theis, crossbreed, king tuk (kholster too for that matter) are all basically the same holsters as far as design and construction, though they don't all offer them in horsehide if that's a concern for you. crossbreed's standard clips have a raised cross on them, which if you plan on tucking in your shirt may be of issue to you.

the comptac holster has a swappable kydex bit and their leather back is designed somewhat differently.

NickC50310
06-15-2011, 23:37
Just do yourself the favor and buy the supertuck. I've had mine for over a year now and couldn't be happier.

This times 1000000. I just got my supertuck this week and it is AWESOME.

NickC50310
06-16-2011, 00:04
The problem I see with the theiss is its not adjustable. The supertuck is adjustable for ride height and cant. The MTAC looks pretty much the same except the kydex can be swapped for different guns, which I like but they dont make one for the fnx or fnp. ( I carry an FNX).

ranburr1
06-16-2011, 02:25

I hate to tell u this, but it is trial and error. I have tried all makes and models over the last 20+ yrs. What works with one gun may not work fo you with another pistol or even different styles of dress. Things change when you gain or lose ten pounds. If you get serious about concealed carry, you are going to wind up spending a significant amount of cash and have a box of bolsters that you don't use. One easy fit is a good belt. Do yourself a favor and buy yourself a good double stitched gun belt before you spend a dime on a holster.

jeffyjeff
06-16-2011, 04:34
The problem I see with the theiss is its not adjustable. The supertuck is adjustable for ride height and cant.

theis holsters are adjustable. pic related.

http://theisholsters.com/pictures/Customer%20Pictures/photo.JPG7.JPG

Bren
06-16-2011, 07:56
How I do it is figure out how I want to carry the gun (IWB, SOB, OWB, ankle, shoulder, etc.) then look at some holsters that were made in a normal factory, not hand stitched by pigmies in the congo with viking hair thread. Then I look on Ebay and find a good used one. Most of my holsters (I probably have nearly a hundred around the house) are Blade-tech, safariland or galco. Boutique brands are more hype than help.

Simpleman71
06-16-2011, 11:02
I also swear by crossbreed, have the holster and carry belt. If you get one and don't like it i'll buy it from you. The 26 holster will work for my 27/23.

NickC50310
06-16-2011, 17:58
theis holsters are adjustable. pic related.

http://theisholsters.com/pictures/Customer%20Pictures/photo.JPG7.JPG

Didnt see the holes on their website! Guess I need to wear my glasses! lol