Suggest super light ar15 for injured shoulder. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Suggest super light ar15 for injured shoulder.

Judge Roy Bean
06-15-2011, 04:58
The shoulder on my non-dominant arm (left) has been injured for some time now and supporting a rifle with that arm is bothersome, to say the least.:steamed:

I was hoping to get suggestions on really light ar15 models.

I have been looking at Bravo Company rifles. A 14.5 with a pinned flash hider to make it 16. I guess with the magpull handguard, even though I would much rather have a larue or DD handguard (true quad rail).

Help me think outside the box on this one guys, and have an awesome day.:wavey:

eracer
06-15-2011, 05:33
You can only go so light, but I think you want:

CF handguard (like a Clark Custom (6.5 oz.)
14.5" pencil barrel with a pinned FH.
Magpul MBUS polymer BUIS or an Aimpoint T1 Micro if you need an optic. No scope - too much added weight.
Magpul MOE Buttstock.
Plum Crazy C15 lower receiver.
Alexander Arms Tactical Trigger (saves an ounce...it all counts.)

Forget the quad-rail. You'll just end up hanging stuff on it.

Oh yeah...a sling.

Keyhole
06-15-2011, 05:52
Check out the Katana by Red Jacket Firearms.

1time
06-15-2011, 05:58
Plum crazy lower with a Bravo Company lightweight upper. I have a BCM LW 16" upper on a plum crazy lower and an Aimpoint micro and flashlight. Weighs 6.5 lbs. Using the 14.5 " with a pinned flash hider will probably save a few ounces.

faawrenchbndr
06-15-2011, 06:02

There are WAY better carbine with better pricing than that!
$1850? $1925 with a MagPul stock?

Are they flippin nuts?

Judge Roy Bean
06-15-2011, 07:02
Thanks for the replies yall. I'm gonna take a look at the plum crazies now.

Yeah 1850, is a bit out of budget.

Just went to plum crazy's web site. Fully built lower for 100 bones. Excellent. Any of yall have one of these? Pics?

UniversalBrow06
06-15-2011, 07:31
If you can swing it...

http://larueosr.com/ltp556-16.aspx

And you'd be done.

mjkeat
06-15-2011, 08:04

Someone's still asleep.
--
BCM or Spikes LW upper on a CAV Arms lower (if you can find one).

punkey71
06-15-2011, 10:18
The shoulder on my non-dominant arm (left) has been injured for some time now and supporting a rifle with that arm is bothersome, to say the least.:steamed:

I was hoping to get suggestions on really light ar15 models.

I have been looking at Bravo Company rifles. A 14.5 with a pinned flash hider to make it 16. I guess with the magpull handguard, even though I would much rather have a larue or DD handguard (true quad rail).

Help me think outside the box on this one guys, and have an awesome day.:wavey:

A heavier stock, while adding weight to the rifle, may change the balance enough to put more weight on your "good" arm and take some weight off the support hand.

Just a thought.

Judge Roy Bean
06-15-2011, 10:18
You can only go so light, but I think you want:

CF handguard (like a Clark Custom (6.5 oz.)

14.5" pencil barrel with a pinned FH.

Forget the quad-rail. You'll just end up hanging stuff on it.

Oh yeah...a sling.

Looked at em, and I don't have the tools or experience to install a free float. That does seem to be a good idea though (carbon fiber).

pencil barrel = BCM's light weight upper?

I would really like to talk to the folks at BCM, but they will not answer their phone.

E-mails only? Seem's a little iffy, but have heard nothing but good on their guns and service.

Judge Roy Bean
06-15-2011, 10:22
A heavier stock, while adding weight to the rifle, may change the balance enough to put more weight on your "good" arm and take some weight off the support hand.

Just a thought.

Good suggestion, I have noticed shooting my buddies Colt fixed stock is much more comfortable.

eracer
06-15-2011, 10:36
Looked at em, and I don't have the tools or experience to install a free float. That does seem to be a good idea though (carbon fiber).

pencil barrel = BCM's light weight upper?

I would really like to talk to the folks at BCM, but they will not answer their phone.

E-mails only? Seem's a little iffy, but have heard nothing but good on their guns and service.It's worth having the tool to install handguards. Experience isn't really necessary.

I believe the BCM lightweight uses a Govt. Profile M4 16" barrel (uses a .750 gas block,) which is a bit heavier than the lightweight 14.5" pencil profile (uses a .625 gas block.)

Here's a link to a barrel maker. (http://www.ar15barrels.com/profiles.shtml)

M&P15T
06-15-2011, 10:39
I hope that through lifting and other excercises, you can heal your shoulder and shoot whatever you want. How bad is the shoulder?

K. Foster
06-15-2011, 10:40

Are they flippin nuts?

Agreed! The Katana should be at most an $800 gun.
I suggest a BCM lightweight 14.5 with pinned flash hider. Plum Crazy lowers get mixed reviews, I would do some research before buying one.

Judge Roy Bean
06-15-2011, 10:53
I hope that through lifting and other excercises, you can heal your shoulder and shoot whatever you want. How bad is the shoulder?

Most likely a blown rotator cuff. No insurance and work at a gym.

Hurt it repping out 225 on Incline. Safe to say, no longer lift chest or shoulders heavy.

Probably should pony up the money for my shoulder before the rifle, but what fun is that?

Would just like to thank all of yall for help and even the good wishes. Good folks round here.

Judge Roy Bean
06-15-2011, 10:56
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349693 this fellar just started a thread showing weights of different rifles. I noticed the DD was pretty light. Any comments on the DD line?

faawrenchbndr
06-15-2011, 11:01
Daniel Defense rifles are OUTSTANDING!

trlcavscout
06-15-2011, 11:15
I had a BCM 14.5" lightweight with perm attached flashhider, it was nice and light, accurate and fun. I had the VLTOR stock on it and MOE handguards, I like it so much I ordered another one this time it will be basic standard handguards and stock.

K. Foster
06-15-2011, 12:22
DD is good stuff.

BBJones
06-15-2011, 12:28
My DD LW with a VTAC/Troy TRX Extreme (lighter than DD Lite) is extremely light and handy. You can't go wrong with BCM or DD LW.

Don't know if you want to wait on a custom upper but smartgunner has great prices on factory direct DD uppers. Just be prepared to wait. http://www.smartgunner.com

Randy from Kansas
06-15-2011, 12:49
My son lost his left arm at the shoulder in the fall of 2006. So most of the firearms I have really don't work for him very well.

His preferred rifle is a Del-ton 16inch m4ish rifle light weight barrel with a adjustable stock. We tried a fixed stock A2 and added weight but he can shoot it best with a adjustable stock about 1/2 way down.

If I do it again and I may I would go with a bull pup or at least a 14 1/2 inch light weight barrel the weight on the end is a real problem.

Hope this helps

M&P15T
06-15-2011, 13:44
Most likely a blown rotator cuff. No insurance and work at a gym.

Hurt it repping out 225 on Incline. Safe to say, no longer lift chest or shoulders heavy.

Probably should pony up the money for my shoulder before the rifle, but what fun is that?

Would just like to thank all of yall for help and even the good wishes. Good folks round here.

I have rotator cuff issues myself. If you aren't already doing rotator cuff excercises, try them. They have made a world of difference in my shoulders. Absolutely no problems as long as I keep them up.

FatBoy
06-15-2011, 14:41
Try and find a Cav Arms lower (DSG had some)and a Bravo LW upper.
FB

punkey71
06-15-2011, 14:43
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349693 this fellar just started a thread showing weights of different rifles. I noticed the DD was pretty light. Any comments on the DD line?

Put a Magpul ACS stock (heavier) on that and you will hopefully be in good shape.

DD is a great choice.

I wouldn't want to try the Plum Crazy lower. I'm sure some will say they are fantastic but I've seen enough of them in two pieces to not worry about the small weight savings. Don't get me wrong, I love polymer...I have Glocks! But were talking easily over 3 times the energy out of an AR vs .45 Glock.

Harold

majette
06-15-2011, 19:50
i have a preban olympic 11.5" barrel, 5.5" flash hider that is toy light. some will bash olympic (i also have a custom pof and a noveske so mine run the spectrum) but i shoot it more than the others because it is fun and unbelievably accurate with the short barrel.

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/2436/olymfr.jpg

Patrick R
06-15-2011, 20:20
Shoot away till your shoulder starts bothering you. Then shoot from a bench.

It will keep you shooting.

Judge Roy Bean
06-16-2011, 04:33
My son lost his left arm at the shoulder in the fall of 2006. So most of the firearms I have really don't work for him very well.

His preferred rifle is a Del-ton 16inch m4ish rifle light weight barrel with a adjustable stock. We tried a fixed stock A2 and added weight but he can shoot it best with a adjustable stock about 1/2 way down.

If I do it again and I may I would go with a bull pup or at least a 14 1/2 inch light weight barrel the weight on the end is a real problem.

Hope this helps

Sir, your post helped remind me to stop whining when my shoulder starts bothering me.

Gotta tell myself, Life's good, glad I'm alive to feel it hurt.

I wish the best for you and your son.

I'm sure you've pondered this, but someone posted about an 11 inch barrel with a 5 inch flash hider. That may help with your son. Also, if shooting is something you both are serious about, maybe inquire about a SBR tax stamp. :wavey:

Foxtrotx1
06-16-2011, 04:34

No. No. No.

Judge Roy Bean
06-16-2011, 04:36
I have rotator cuff issues myself. If you aren't already doing rotator cuff excercises, try them. They have made a world of difference in my shoulders. Absolutely no problems as long as I keep them up.

Thanks for the recomendation. How did you have yours diagnosed. I have a feeling I need to have it xrayed. I have alot of chiropracters at my disposal at the gym, who all have different opinions on what it is.

Tried to throw the ol'pigskin around yesterday afternoon and was unable to catch the ball due to my shoulder.

Oh yeah, I forgot......Lifes Good.

Judge Roy Bean
06-16-2011, 04:37
No. No. No.

This seems to be the general concensus. :supergrin:

Foxtrotx1
06-16-2011, 04:49
This seems to be the general concensus. :supergrin:

We can't get the point across enough :whistling:

Honestly, my next rifle will most likely be a pencil barrel. I have the gov M4 profile, I can't shoot it hot enough to affect my ability to nail a 4 foot gong an 300 yards. I don't need to exceed that. Barrel and handgard are going to be most of your weight. Do away with the front sight tower and carry handle too.

Magpul MBUS GEN 2. (set)
Quality pencil barrel. 16 inch
Magpul MOE stock
Any light free float tube, with top rail for the front MBUS. troy comes to mind.
BCM For everything else.

If your feeling adventurous too, you can save a few ounces and forgo the flash hider....and your night vision:whistling:

eracer
06-16-2011, 05:21
Put a Magpul ACS stock (heavier) on that and you will hopefully be in good shape.

DD is a great choice.

I wouldn't want to try the Plum Crazy lower. I'm sure some will say they are fantastic but I've seen enough of them in two pieces to not worry about the small weight savings. Don't get me wrong, I love polymer...I have Glocks! But were talking easily over 3 times the energy out of an AR vs .45 Glock.

HaroldWhere are the PC lowers breaking? I would think the most force would be at the buffer retaining ring.

Keyhole
06-16-2011, 18:54
Sorry about the Katana suggestion folks. I just suggested that he look into it because I knew it was made to be lightweight. Other than that I know nothing about it. Clearly there is more to the story. Sorry and cheers.

Foxtrotx1
06-17-2011, 01:21
Sorry about the Katana suggestion folks. I just suggested that he look into it because I knew it was made to be lightweight. Other than that I know nothing about it. Clearly there is more to the story. Sorry and cheers.

No apology needed. If you had not suggested it, we couldn't have beaten it like a dead horse! someone might have paid for one!

Judge Roy Bean
06-17-2011, 05:13
No apology needed. If you had not suggested it, we couldn't have beaten it like a dead horse! someone might have paid for one!

Ditto bro, I'm always thankfull for suggestions.

M&P15T
06-18-2011, 08:12
Thanks for the recomendation. How did you have yours diagnosed. I have a feeling I need to have it xrayed. I have alot of chiropracters at my disposal at the gym, who all have different opinions on what it is.

Tried to throw the ol'pigskin around yesterday afternoon and was unable to catch the ball due to my shoulder.

Oh yeah, I forgot......Lifes Good.

I didn't have to see a doctor at all. A cousin is a trainer, and said I probably had pinched shoulders/rotator cuffs, which was limiting my bench/chest work. He showed me a few rotator cuff excercises done with one of those long, handeled rubber band thingyies, and it has made a major, incredible difference. And yes, at times I couldn't throw a football.
http://tsa.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pG01-8106616dt.jpg

I have been a competetive tennis player all my life, so my rotator cuff has taken a lot of abuse, and those excercises are incredible. I also tend to sleep on my side, which is really bad for rotator cuffs.

MarkCO
06-25-2011, 08:43
THE lightest AR on the market is the Carbon Arms upper paired with a Cavalry Arms lower.

http://machineguntours.com/carbon-arms-upper-mid-16in-1x8-ss-upper-899/

The complete rifle with a Cavalry Arms lower from MGT is 5 pounds and $1100. The barrels are premium grade Nordic barrels that shoot into 3" at 500 yards. Soft recoiling, light and accurate!

gunsmoke92
06-26-2011, 20:43
Take a look at the Bushmaster Carbon 15 M4. 5.77 lbs (w/o mag.) and $905 for a complete gun, not just an upper. No mixing and matching, just one stop shopping.

gunsmoke92
06-26-2011, 20:47
Opps! double post.

vettely
08-27-2011, 01:58
Where are the PC lowers breaking? I would think the most force would be at the buffer retaining ring.
I call B...S....

I actually own and operate a PC lower. Being in L.E. we tested it first and put it through our UPR class (i.e. well over 200+ rounds in 2 days). The only issues found were P-Mags not dropping and bolt lock back with P-Mags. No problems at all with aluminum mil mags. No big deal deal to me, so I am running a PC lower on my duty AR.

MajorD
08-27-2011, 08:30
also setting up your sling to support most of the weight of the rifle while in firing position will help a lot.

BBJones
08-27-2011, 09:06
I call B...S....

I actually own and operate a PC lower. Being in L.E. we tested it first and put it through our UPR class (i.e. well over 200+ rounds in 2 days). The only issues found were P-Mags not dropping and bolt lock back with P-Mags. No problems at all with aluminum mil mags. No big deal deal to me, so I am running a PC lower on my duty AR.

oh my 200 rounds! what an extensive test.

1time
08-27-2011, 14:16
http://tapatalk.com/mu/c6e4c1ef-4efa-dea1.jpg

This is the Plumb Crazy lower with the BCM lightweight 16" upper. With the aimpoint and light it is 6.5 lbs. Has about 2000 flawless rounds. The lower to upper fit is still tight and the fire control parts are not showing any wear.

Keeperofthedew
08-28-2011, 20:12
Here's three different incidents of plum crazy lowers breaking that I was able to find in 2 minutes of looking. One of these doesn't seem (to me) to be the PCL's fault, another comes with no info, but the third (first) definitely seems to be a quality issue.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_12/539394_Plum_crazy_lower_issue_UPDATED_7_16_2011.html
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1167806_Plum_Crazy_Lower_Destroyed_.html
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_12/524131_Plum_Crazy_Lower_FAILURE___PIcs_inside_____updated___replacement_arrived.html

GunQuest
09-07-2011, 07:24
I have over 10 Ar's and I can tell you my lightest and most favorite by far is my Adams Arms Piston driven Evo 16" Ultra light! Check it out! Got it at Rainier Arms...just LOVE it...super accurate too!

ScrappyDoo
09-07-2011, 18:24

Are they flippin nuts?

Liol u usually alway disagree with me even if I say the skyts blue u say its baby pastel... but u are dead on 1----000% right ,.... that katana is how do that say it, "Dats dat bull$heeeeish".... iits a broker roker joker and its crazy expensive. I would consicer it over the Bushmaster carbon 15 if they were the same price. I would soleluy considerf it to give te daiughter on teh tv show some money.

uy otherwise I would buy ythe bushmaster and I would and will continue hatin on that stuipid thing... its a broker joker and "klatsana sword for the modern warrier....' lol

1...2...3.... DUH. no way jose.

FAA U are 100% right I love you for saying it.

Matthew Courtney
09-08-2011, 06:39
http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_carbon15_AZ-C15R21.asp

4.0 pounds

DieselNut
09-08-2011, 07:58
The first time someone handed me a bushmaster carbon 15 I thought it was a toy. They are extremely light. I never got a chance to shoot it, so I cannot comment on it's function.

Agent Tikki
09-12-2011, 14:59
A good, tight sling will take the weight off your support arm and shoulder.

The lighter the gun, the more the recoil, tho you can tune your recoil impulse to some extent with a full auto BCG, heavier buffer, and stronger springs, but that comes at expense. Your AR will short cycle weak ammo.

Honestly get a good sling, and only use your support hand to steady the nose...it really works wonders.