9mm Hydra Shok 124gr +P+ [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Hydra Shok 124gr +P+

9mmParabellum
06-15-2011, 16:48
Ok, guys I am asking for this round and this round only. I realize all bullets are lethal but some maybe more than others and shot placement etc.

If anyone knows how well does this round do?

Pvt.snoballz
06-15-2011, 16:54
anything from a major manufacturer will generally do very well ( SD lines such as golden sabers, TAP, Ranger T's, or hydra shoks) so dont put too much thought into it

Tiro Fijo
06-15-2011, 17:25
To be frank, it never did as expected. It is NOT high velocity at all. Federal loads to pressures and not fps and they refuse to load a 9mm over 38,000 psi which is just a top end +p & not +p+. There are better bullets available today than the the Hydra Shok, e.g., DPX, Gold Dot, HST & Ranger T are prime examples.

WarEagle32
06-15-2011, 20:18
To be frank, it never did as expected. It is NOT high velocity at all. Federal loads to pressures and not fps and they refuse to load a 9mm over 38,000 psi which is just a top end +p & not +p+. There are better bullets available today than the the Hydra Shok, e.g., DPX, Gold Dot, HST & Ranger T are prime examples.

I find myself agreeing with tiro which isn't unusual. I would not feel under gunned if I were in a scrape with that 124 load. However, for some reason if you really study ballistics of all calibers Federals premium loads are just low speed compared to everyone else. I don't know why. I am a huge fan of the corbon DPX. Study up on the pure copper bullet and you will se that it is absolutly 2nd to none! I load all of my guns with them in every caliber. If I were forced to go with a lead containing round for the 9mm it would be either speer 124+p or winchester 127+p+!

JohnnyReb
06-20-2011, 11:44
One of my personal favorites. Very reliable. The reason it is +P+ is the amount of flash retardant in the round.

I really like this round, and would trust it any day of the week.

Don't totally buy into the old tech crowd, I have been fighting them for years on the forum. The Hydra shok design has been tweeked (read: updated) several times during the years, and while it isn't as new as say, the HST, its not the same round from the 80s either.

hotpig
06-20-2011, 11:56
The 124+P+ and the 45 loads are still very popular. I sale them out fast any time they come in stock.

Snowman92D
06-22-2011, 21:21
Cleveland (OH) PD, Prince Georges County PD, Camden (NJ) PD and the U.S. Marshals Service all used the Federal HS 124-grain +P+ 9mm load for years with excellent results. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

glock20c10mm
06-22-2011, 22:54
What velocity is the 9mm Hydra Shok 124gr +P+ rated at? I went to Federal's website and only found a non+P/+P+ rated for 1120fps.

Snowman92D
06-22-2011, 23:31
Last I knew, the 124-grain Hydra-Shok 9mm +P+ was booked at 1,170 fps. As was noted above, Federal Cartridge has an internal policy that they won't load +P+ 9mm ammo higher than 38,500 psi on the SAAMI scale. So it's technically just an upper end 9mm +P.

sandman77
06-26-2011, 12:03
This load is ok but there are better ones out there for the same price or less. 124 +p Gold Dot or HST, or Ranger 127 +p+ are better loads

unit1069
06-26-2011, 15:52
There's way too much insecurity over 9mm, in my opinion, but that insecurity is great for generating ammo sales, I'm sure.

I was at the range today trying out a new 9mm pistol, shooting at the targets placed about 20 feet away. I was using Blazer Brass 115-grain FMJ that I've read is relatively weak range ammo.

After firing off 200 rounds of this "underpowered" budget range ammo I decided to fire a magazine of Remington 125-grain Golden Saber +P which had a noticeably stronger recoil than the Blazer. Sheesh, I wouldn't want to be hit with a bullet going even a fraction of the velocity of the Blazer at the distance of twenty feet.

Pick the ammo that provides the best overall shooting characteristics consistent with FBI protocol --- or even the one you think delivers the most power, it's your call after all --- and then hope you never have to find out if it's adequate or not in a potential life-or-death self-defense situation.

kashdaddy
06-28-2011, 20:41
Ok, guys I am asking for this round and this round only. I realize all bullets are lethal but some maybe more than others and shot placement etc.

If anyone knows how well does this round do?

My personal experience:

I put a BG down with one DPX to the torso. He dropped immediately........wobbled and dropped.

Previously, I was in another shootout and the BG took one to the stomach and one to the upper leg and was able to travel about 100 yards. This is with federal HS.

Of course, i dont know about expansion since i was not there to see the end result of the bullet.

imho - DPX is the best. expansion is excellent, accuracy is amazing, recoil is sharp and very controllable on follow up shots, penetration is perfect, reliability is flawless (Glocks) and retention weight is the best. It expand like a fan blade and the copper retain a super hard surface that would cut thru the BG like a hot knife thru butter.

Most JHP that i see recovered..........the copper jacket is so thin that it folds back too much, but with DPX since its 100% copper then the fins dont bend all the way back so its like more close to a fan blade.

I once put a Federal HS into the skull of a gator and it went in about 7" and lost about 10 grains and the entire fins were folded back. Gator tried to roll, but died immediately.....did not even make the roll. Found the bullet behind his neck. Didnt have DPX back then.

Yea, any bullet could have done so, but that is an argumentative topic. Some may say SHOT PLACEMENT and TRAINING, but in a real gun fight, we try our best and not all scenarios you can train for. Its like boxing or UFC, either opponent can get knocked down providing the right opportunity. We try to equip ourself with the extra edge and that is where the selection of the best (what u feel comfortable using) ammunition comes in. Most of the time, even with the best training, performance downgrade to the point where you are shooting at your worse so you cant focus on shot placement. If we can control shot placement 100% then we would go with a head-shot. Shot placement is more for deer hunting where the deer is not shooting back.