How hard is it to put my new trijicon sights on [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to put my new trijicon sights on

stevo1001
06-17-2011, 11:48
Just got tthem for my g 23

infiniti0505
06-17-2011, 11:54
You will need a Glock front sight tool and a sight pusher for the rear sight and some blue loctite. Safest bet is to have a gunsmith do it.

supatrucka
06-17-2011, 14:06
I was going back and forth on buying a sight pusher and then I watched youtube. I said to myself I am only going to use the tool once. I had a brass punch that fit perfect in the dovetail tapped left to right and came out no problem. For the front the tool came with my Hacks. I know some folks kringe when they hear punch and hammer but it worked for me and saved me $100 bucks.

good luck
Dave

xrmattaz
06-17-2011, 14:16
I've successfully used the punch/mallet method on several rear NON-tritium vialed sights over the years. I've also broken the tritium vial on one rear sight using the same technique. (this is not covered by warranty)

Use a sight pusher for night sights!

stevo1001
06-17-2011, 15:12
welll i got the rear sights onn but ima take it to the gunsmith to do the front since i do not have the front socket tool any one have any ideas

ScrappyDoo
06-17-2011, 20:41
I couldn't do it, I was new to gun ownership/etc. when I got them, and I just said 'A Wise Man Knows His Limits' and took to gunsmith.

You of course may be much more competent and/or capable than me. But I knew, I didn't have the tools, which therefore I'd have needed to buy, plus then the expertise. It was easier to have it done, and now I have my (year and a half -)New G23 w/ Trijicon night sights, and no flaws.

The AR I bought and tried modifying and redoing, when I knew I shouldn't but I did anyway, has several large scratches, including a scratched up Delta ring a a huge mark through the Bushmaster logo :) D'oH!!!

125K9
06-17-2011, 20:44
welll i got the rear sights onn but ima take it to the gunsmith to do the front since i do not have the front socket tool any one have any ideas

Translation please?????

jack76590
06-17-2011, 22:12
If the gunsmith installs the sights and they are not sighted in for you, then you will need a sight pusher. The tap, tap method of adjustment is not very good. Nothing happens and then all of a sudden big movement, at least in my experience. Sight pushers are to both install sights and adjust them for point of impact. It is really easy to do with the proper tools. If you plan to buy more glocks I think you will not regret spending the money.

GunHo198
06-17-2011, 23:14
I just got a set of truglo's for fathers day. I tried putting the front site on with a pair of needle nose pliers. But the TRUGLO front site would not seat tight enough. I believe the inner tab was too long. I took them to an armorer and he had to grind it down to get it to fit tight. So I guess I was right. There was no way in hell I was going to use a mallet and punch on the rear sights in fear of breaking a tube. I plan on buying site tools next wether I need them or not. I do most of my friends gunsmithing anyways. I'm sure sooner or later I'll get some use out of them. Kinda like the FNFAL upper receiver wrench I've only used once. LOL

Spengebeb
06-18-2011, 00:23
My ATS sights on my G19 came with a front sight tool, and I popped the old rear sight out with a punch/hammer.

Put the new rear back in with a rubber mallet.

Didn't even have to shim mine; it was more or less on at 25 but I want to be sure before I hit it up with some loctite.

kshutt
06-18-2011, 04:55

For no more that in costs to have sight installation done properly, have a gunsmith check the work you've already performed and install the front sight.

CDW4ME
06-18-2011, 05:13
Glockmeister sells a sight tool that is a rear sight pusher and includes a front tool too. It's about $100, but makes sight installation simple; I installed mine in just a few minutes. Worth it in the long run, to me, especially if you have more than one Glock.

Black&TAN
06-18-2011, 05:34
For about $85 bucks, picked up a Maryland Gun Works Sight Tool Model MGW309, for installing rear Trijicons onto my G23. Among others, Ed Brown makes a tool for the front site, runs about $12.

The MGW pusher worked great for install and tweaks, and in my opinion is of better build quality than others. The front site also went on easily, with a daub of Loctite 242 (blue) on the threads... just made sure not to torque that small screw off. Whole process took about 25 minutes.

It's a bit of an investment, but hey, who doesn't need a reason to pick up a few more Glocks? :supergrin:

Milesmaster
06-18-2011, 05:49
I dont know about Trijicon night sight.

I have on my G17 a Novak night sight set and it was quite hard put the rear sight on the socket!

Very large file works!

stevo1001
06-19-2011, 08:13
everythings perfect thanks for the advice guys...love lookin over at the nite stand and seein 3 glowin dots

emore
06-19-2011, 09:42
everythings perfect thanks for the advice guys...love lookin over at the nite stand and seein 3 glowin dots

Just curious, how much did you have to move the rear to get it to shoot to point of aim and how did you do it? Enquiring minds...

stevo1001
06-19-2011, 19:44
lol i guess i got it in the perfect spot the first go around.... shot it to day at a few beer bottles at 15 yds and hit them all.. but ima take it to the range tomorro and put it on paper just to make sure

hddave
06-23-2011, 13:29
Took my G19 gen 4 in last night for a set of trijicon hd sights my lgs installed for free. of course the sights were a buck forty! they say the jig they used costs about 250.00.Would never consider installing sights, I like my guns scratch free!

zulu45
06-23-2011, 13:47
You will need a Glock front sight tool and a sight pusher for the rear sight and some blue loctite. Safest bet is to have a gunsmith do it.

/thread :)

Seriously, this is basically it. The front sight requires a front sight too, and loctite. The rear sight pusher is a must.

mrsurfboard
06-26-2011, 20:06
Just buy a sight pusher and be done with it.

eracer
06-26-2011, 20:14
That ^^^ is what I did.

When you have a hobby that requires certain tools, you either buy, rent, or borrow those tools. Or you pay someone else to do the work. Trying to do the job using a bigger hammer is a recipe for spending more than you would have by doing it right the first time.

lwbfl
06-26-2011, 20:14
My local gun shop sells the sights and installs them for free. $109 out the door.

kshutt
06-27-2011, 04:58
My local gun shop sells the sights and installs them for free. $109 out the door.

And you can save $30 or more dollars if you just send your slide back to Glock and have them install Trijicons. It's like $75 for them installed, or close to that. I ought to remember. I sent two slides back a few months ago, and they also did a great job.

lwbfl
06-27-2011, 16:21
And you can save $30 or more dollars if you just send your slide back to Glock and have them install Trijicons. It's like $75 for them installed, or close to that. I ought to remember. I sent two slides back a few months ago, and they also did a great job.

Good point, but I can't part with my Glock for more than a few minutes and don't want to mail it. 15 mins + $109 and I was back in business!

kashdaddy
06-28-2011, 21:04
easy procedure, just take your time and read the instructions twice. its a wise idea to invest in a rare sight tool if you plan to own many guns since almost all of the guns these days will require new sights. if you dont want to buy the tool then order your sights from glockmeister and just send in your sights and have them install it for free or they may charge $10. Sometimes they have specials. Sometimes their service sucks and they dont get your order out on time and dont even have the courtesy to call and tell you. However, for the most part, there service is good and not to mention the best price. Try e-gay for a cheap rare sight tool - lol. They have them used for $50

kashdaddy
06-28-2011, 21:08
Sorry, forgot to mention..........most people are saying that you need a front sight tool..........not necessarily........just take a dremel tool or a file and put a notch in your old screw and use a flat head screwdriver to unscrew it and reuse the screw.
If you are installing Trijicon tritiums then make sure you pay attention to the screw length as most other brands have a longer screw that will pierce the trijicon capsule and kill the tritium. Also, use the locktite 262 (red) and put a super small drop on the screw thread, dont make it go on the tip as this can build up and pierce the cylinder as well.

kashdaddy
06-28-2011, 21:11
your slide is so hard that the tool stand a better chance scratching - lol
in all case, i put a piece of leather against the sight tool to prevent having to wipe off any aluminum off the slide.

Took my G19 gen 4 in last night for a set of trijicon hd sights my lgs installed for free. of course the sights were a buck forty! they say the jig they used costs about 250.00.Would never consider installing sights, I like my guns scratch free!

Hogpauls
07-15-2011, 12:56
Check this out---------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAMIns_eB0c

toshbar
07-20-2011, 01:08
I put some truglo TFOs on last night. Removed the rear with a punch and hammer. Installed the new one with a bench vice and some vise-grips with a rag to protect the finish. Used a buddy's front sight tool and loc-tite for the front. I put a caliper on it and it's .012" off center, but I think it'll be fine.