Gsg 1911.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gsg 1911....

JGguns
06-18-2011, 11:15
How do you like your gsg 1911? A local shop has them for 289. Thinking I'm gonna grab one today. Seems like a fun pistol. Any reason to steer clear?

Ruggles
06-18-2011, 11:27
I had a Puma .22LR 1911, it just felt "wrong" and not like a 1911. The GSG version seems nicer, never examined one but plan to at some point. If you get one post some impressions of it please :)

Not sure if that route or getting one of the .22LR conversion slides would be a better route for me in the long run.

JGguns
06-18-2011, 15:50
Here is a update. I bought the Pistol. I went straight to shooting. It was loaded with factory grease. I had 5 FTF in 400 rds but I pretty sure it was cause the greAse. I squished some oil on it and it was fine. I think if I would cleaned the factory gunk off and oiled before I shot it would have been good to go. It was a blast to shoot and well worth the $300 I paid for it. I am very pleased.

My buddy bought one today and had similiar issues that were fixed with some lube.

polizei1
06-18-2011, 16:00
Honestly I only have about 70 rounds through mine, but it's a good shooter so far and I haven't had any issues. I run Federal and CCI ammo, and run it wet with Hoppes #9. If your guiderod is solid you should be fine, if it has an "X" pattern, you'll need to replace it before it snaps off.

limbkiller
06-18-2011, 16:01
I love mine. I've put 3000rds. through it so far. Fun guns to shoot and modify.
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee457/limbkiller/DSC00280.jpg

Quack
06-18-2011, 16:39
.22LR's are a lot of fun. that's what i shot most of today, but i need to get new mags/mag springs because the last 3-4 outing's i've had feed problems. the rounds not fully coming up to the feed lips.

I love mine. I've put 3000rds. through it so far. Fun guns to shoot and modify.
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee457/limbkiller/DSC00280.jpg

Hey!!! what's wrong with your trigger? :animlol:

Ruggles
06-18-2011, 16:52
Looks like a winner, what I wanted my Puma 1911 to be but was not :( Congrats

Oaklane
06-18-2011, 16:57
I've had mine for 9 weeks now. It's been broke for 7 of those weeks. Do a search, theres a problem with the bushings turning and guide rod breaking because of a new guide rod they went to. It's hanging in the plug and pulling the plug back and letting the bushing rotate and then breaking the guide rod and wrecking the recoil spring, plug, etc. Parts have been on backorder, I just called ATI (the importer) again yesterday afternoon to find out what was going on. To their credit, they have been good to deal with. Some guys are having new solid guide rods machined out of aluminum, and I was gonna go ahead and do that, but the more problems I've read about, the more pissed I've got. I asked the guy at ATI if there was any improvement to the parts and he said :dunno: so I just kinda :rofl:. It's a neat platform and when it was working, I enjoyed it. He said supposedly my parts will ship this week and hopefully I can get it back running. I can have a guide rod made at work, but I want to see what their solution is if any.

limbkiller
06-18-2011, 16:59
Actually I like that trigger.:whistling: I might try one on my SA GI as I put that wilson 17.00$ on it and it looks like crap. Just not a fan of solid triggers. I've been known to change my mind on things if function outweighs looks. Knew you would catch that. I don't think the trik trigger would look worth a sh1t on a g.i. though. Any recomendations.

limbkiller
06-18-2011, 17:03
Looks like a winner, what I wanted my Puma 1911 to be but was not :( Congrats
Yea I have the Chiappa ,same thing as Puma. Mine has been a shooter but I much prefer the GSG.

Quack
06-18-2011, 17:14
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/i-HkpPggf/0/L/i-HkpPggf-L.jpg

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/i-fkdXf86/0/L/i-fkdXf86-L.jpg

Quack
06-18-2011, 17:55
http://10-8performance.blogspot.com/2011/06/marvel-22-build.html

bac1023
06-18-2011, 18:08
I wouldn't exactly call it a 1911, but the examples I've handled seemed like pretty good quality.

limbkiller
06-18-2011, 18:21
I wouldn't exactly call it a 1911, but the examples I've handled seemed like pretty good quality.

The closest thing I've found out there to a 1911 though.:tongueout: I got it as I liked the looks plus it is cheap to shoot. After getting it I kinda used it as a test gun for working on 1911's as it's only a $300.00 gun. If I messed a gun up I didn't want it to be a more costly .45. I love mine. It goes in my range bag every time I go shooting. Shoots anything put in it.:supergrin:

Hokie1911
06-18-2011, 18:23
http://10-8performance.blogspot.com/2011/06/marvel-22-build.html

I saw on FB the other day that he posted he was having some issues with it. I didn't read the details. Did you?

limbkiller
06-18-2011, 18:43
I saw on FB the other day that he posted he was having some issues with it. I didn't read the details. Did you?

Yea I guess that GSG got rid of the standard guide rod and has the new ones breaking. Plus the 1st ones, like mine, had an aluminum barrel bushing which would break and send the recoil spring to God knows where. GSG would send out new barrel bushings if you called. I didn't wait and replaced mine. They are working on the guide rod I guess. On TOS a bunch of guys are fixing that problem on there own.

Quack
06-18-2011, 18:44

sounded mag related.
i just cleaned out my mags and stretched out the springs and the tension feels good again.

Hokie1911
06-18-2011, 18:49
sounded mag related.
i just cleaned out my mags and stretched out the springs and the tension feels good again.

Is he using the metal or polymer? Is there a big difference between the 2?

Quack
06-18-2011, 18:52
looks like he was using the factory polymer.

flieger67
06-18-2011, 20:02
I've had a GSG since January and enjoy it. I debated a conversion kit but preferred to have a dedicated pistol and the GSG made an economical decision.

As for issues, I've had a few. American Eagle ammo will not feed fully when it's the second round from the top in a full. In another position, it feeds without issue. Surprisingly, I have 3 mags and all show the same issue. Not a big deal as CCI's have fed without a hiccup for me.

The ambi safety lever on the right side stopped functioning a month or so after I got mine. An ear on the left side safety broke, not allowing the right side to move the left side lever up. I had a Wilson Combat ambi put in and it needed all of about two minutes of fitting to work properly.

I put a pair of VZ grips on mine. Initially, they didn't quite fit with the shape of the stock safety lever on the right side. However, after installing the Wilson safety, the VZ fit perfectly.

Someone mentioned a bushing issue. I talked with a GSG rep about the bushing and was sent a steel bushing free of charge.

Overall, I'm pleased with the GSG. The fit is pretty good and except for the American Eagle (38 grain) ammo issue, the pistol has been reliable for me. A friend I shot with often liked mine so much that he's planning to purchase one in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

bac1023
06-18-2011, 21:41
The closest thing I've found out there to a 1911 though.:tongueout: I got it as I liked the looks plus it is cheap to shoot. After getting it I kinda used it as a test gun for working on 1911's as it's only a $300.00 gun. If I messed a gun up I didn't want it to be a more costly .45. I love mine. It goes in my range bag every time I go shooting. Shoots anything put in it.:supergrin:

I guess I need to pick one up at some point. :)