New Gun Laws in Florida: I'm moving there... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Gun Laws in Florida: I'm moving there...

ModGlock17
06-18-2011, 11:48
FL has passed two of new gun laws. VERY friendly to gun owners.

SB 234 -Firearms; Provides that a person who is licensed to carry a concealed firearm is not in violation of law if the firearm is briefly and openly displayed under certain circumstances. Allows the Division of Licensing of the DOACS to take fingerprints from concealed carry license applicants. Provides that a person may not openly carry a weapon or firearm or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into specified locations. Provides that concealed carry licensees shall not be prohibited from carrying or storing a firearm in a vehicle for lawful purposes, etc.
EFFECTIVE DATE: upon becoming a law (June-17-2011)
--------
HB155- Privacy of Firearm Owners: Provides that licensed practitioner or facility may not record firearm ownership information in patient's medical record; provides exception; provides that unless information is relevant to patient's medical care or safety or safety of others, inquiries regarding firearm ownership or possession should not be made; provides exception for EMTS & paramedics; provides that patient may decline to provide information regarding ownership or possession of firearms; clarifies that physician's authority to choose patients is not altered; prohibits discrimination by licensed practitioners or facilities based solely on patient's firearm ownership or possession; prohibits harassment of patient regarding firearm ownership during examination; prohibits denial of insurance coverage, increased premiums, or other discrimination by insurance companies issuing policies on basis of insured's or applicant's ownership, possession, or storage of firearms or ammunition; clarifies that insurer is not prohibited from considering value of firearms or ammunition in setting personal property premiums; provides for disciplinary action.
Effective Date:June 2, 2011
<TABLE class=text border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=text border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=text border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

eracer
06-18-2011, 12:33
The open carry law is a travesty. It was originally going to allow OPEN CARRY, and provide penalties for LE agencies that hassled you for it.

As far as I know, no one has ever been arrested for the 'brief and inadvertent display' that this new law 'allows.' I wouldn't open carry myself, but the law should allow it, IMHO.

Florida does take individual gun rights pretty seriously though. We have a 'Shall Issue' concealed carry statute, a 'Stand Your Ground' statute, and a statute that allows firearms to be kept in one's vehicle at work. And you don't have to inform during a traffic stop.

We do have a 3-day wait period, with Instant Checks for permit-holders. I happen to agree with this policy. Hate to say it, but there are some people who should not own guns. Flame away if you must.

We need to work on carry in bars - right now the law is vague on where you can and cannot carry when alcohol in served.

ModGlock17
06-18-2011, 18:12
What's you opinion on informing the officer during a traffic stop?

May be depending on the situation, but I think on a minor stop, it would take the officer's mind off of the issue, as long as you appear overly courteous.

"Hello Sir, as a matter of courtesy, I just want you to know that I'm carrying and I do have a license."

Angry Fist
06-18-2011, 18:14
Just gimme Stand Your Ground, and that brief presentation gimmick in MO, and I'll be happy.

eracer
06-19-2011, 07:10
What's you opinion on informing the officer during a traffic stop?

May be depending on the situation, but I think on a minor stop, it would take the officer's mind off of the issue, as long as you appear overly courteous.

"Hello Sir, as a matter of courtesy, I just want you to know that I'm carrying and I do have a license."I will inform if he asks me to step out of the vehicle. If he asks if there are any weapons in the vehicle, I will volunteer nothing. If I'm asked to get out of the vehicle the stop has escalated beyond the simple 'license and registration' phase, and I feel that it would be best if I offered info that would make the officer more comfortable.

mabar
06-21-2011, 15:10
[QUOTE=ModGlock17;17512175]FL has passed two of new gun laws. VERY friendly to gun owners.

SB 234 -Firearms; Provides that a person who is licensed to carry a concealed firearm is not in violation of law if the firearm is briefly and openly displayed under certain circumstances. Allows the Division of Licensing of the DOACS to take fingerprints from concealed carry license applicants. Provides that a person may not openly carry a weapon or firearm or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into specified locations. Provides that concealed carry licensees shall not be prohibited from carrying or storing a firearm in a vehicle for lawful purposes, etc.
EFFECTIVE DATE: upon becoming a law (June-17-2011)........
--------

Although Florida is generally a gun-friendly state, open carry should be allowed.

"Briefly and openly displayed under certain circumstances" is NOT gun-owner friendly.

Ohio allows open carry, even though Ohio has many other more restrictive gun laws.

Mabar

ModGlock17
06-22-2011, 12:12
--------

Ohio allows open carry, even though Ohio has many other more restrictive gun laws.

Mabar

Sorry. Not in Florida. You do have to pull your zipper up. :supergrin: