Finally got my CBST holster for my PX4sc [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my CBST holster for my PX4sc

Nakanokalronin
06-18-2011, 12:35
First off it took about 5 weeks to get my CBST holster from the day I ordered it. I expected it to take awhile but I was anxious because this is my first CBST holster and I really wanted to know what all the fuss was about.

I've worn it for the past few days and I do have top say that it conceals the PX4sc quite well even though its a slightly thicker gun than some subcompacts out there. I've always liked the "sweat" guards on my Bianchi 100 holsters and this one does a good job as far as comfort goes. It seems alot easier to put on and take off than I anticipated, but stays put when its on which is a good thing. The retention comes from your body pushing against the leather that pushes it against the gun that locks it into the kydex. Currently the leather is stiff enough to keep the gun locked into the holster off of the body and held upside down but I feel this will not be the case over time.

Now for the comments that I have no doubt will bring some flaming. The holster is well made but looking at the materials, the simple constriction and what they cost really makes me wonder why they cost around $85. Considering the price of many full blown Kydex holsters being $20-$40, a thinner & shorter half piece of the body only should be almost next to nothing. The backing is a flat piece of leather which is where most of the cost must come into play but then again its still only a small slab with some holes popped out of it where some hooks are screwed into one set and the half kydex is riveted into another. There is no stictching and no molding other than the Kydex.

Now before anyone goes bouncing off the walls like they do in certain sections of this forum, I am talking about the material and simple construction. The fact that CBST is set-up for everything should make the process very very inexpensive to make so I understand from a start-up production it may take some sales to recoup from equipment costs.

I have to mention though that I've seen people make their own with a kydex kit, heat gun, CBST standard clips and some leather for about $30-$35 which is right about where I feel this should be priced. Their examples look no different and if the CBST stamp wasn't on my example I couldn't tell the difference.

Don't get me wrong, I like the holster and am satisfied with the feel and fit but after having one in front of me, I could easily make my own for much cheaper with a lot less wait time.

This is not to put down anyone's purchase. I have purchased one myself and like it quite a bit but my comments are more along the lines of being a machinist for the past 10 years and working for production companies for much longer where the cost to make is far far less than the sale price. The comments are also from being a gun owner that sees how much kydex gear costs and how simple the process is to make it. The leather is nice but its just a simple slab with holes popped out of it. Again, the cost must be in the leather itself since the kydex and clips are dirt cheap.

All in all its a good holster but if one does some research for what they need to make their own, they could make the same holster for every one of their firearms cheaper and with less wait. Just telling it like I see it guys. I know how tempers flare and trolling is abundant sometimes so I feel I need a warning label on some posts.

Here are pictures from when I first got it
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg850/scaled.php?server=850&filename=cbst1.jpg&res=medium
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg593/scaled.php?server=593&filename=cbst2.jpg&res=medium

NickC50310
06-18-2011, 12:54
First off it took about 5 weeks to get my CBST holster from the day I ordered it. I expected it to take awhile but I was anxious because this is my first CBST holster and I really wanted to know what all the fuss was about.

I've worn it for the past few days and I do have top say that it conceals the PX4sc quite well even though its a slightly thicker gun than some subcompacts out there. I've always liked the "sweat" guards on my Bianchi 100 holsters and this one does a good job as far as comfort goes. It seems alot easier to put on and take off than I anticipated, but stays put when its on which is a good thing. The retention comes from your body pushing against the leather that pushes it against the gun that locks it into the kydex. Currently the leather is stiff enough to keep the gun locked into the holster off of the body and held upside down but I feel this will not be the case over time.

Now for the comments that I have no doubt will bring some flaming. The holster is well made but looking at the materials, the simple constriction and what they cost really makes me wonder why they cost around $85. Considering the price of many full blown Kydex holsters being $20-$40, a thinner & shorter half piece of the body only should be almost next to nothing. The backing is a flat piece of leather which is where most of the cost must come into play but then again its still only a small slab with some holes popped out of it where some hooks are screwed into one set and the half kydex is riveted into another. There is no stictching and no molding other than the Kydex.

Now before anyone goes bouncing off the walls like they do in certain sections of this forum, I am talking about the material and simple construction. The fact that CBST is set-up for everything should make the process very very inexpensive to make so I understand from a start-up production it may take some sales to recoup from equipment costs.

I have to mention though that I've seen people make their own with a kydex kit, heat gun, CBST standard clips and some leather for about $30-$35 which is right about where I feel this should be priced. Their examples look no different and if the CBST stamp wasn't on my example I couldn't tell the difference.
Don't get me wrong, I like the holster and am satisfied with the feel and fit but after having one in front of me, I could easily make my own for much cheaper with a lot less wait time.

This is not to put down anyone's purchase. I have purchased one myself and like it quite a bit but my comments are more along the lines of being a machinist for the past 10 years and working for production companies for much longer where the cost to make is far far less than the sale price. The comments are also from being a gun owner that sees how much kydex gear costs and how simple the process is to make it. The leather is nice but its just a simple slab with holes popped out of it. Again, the cost must be in the leather itself since the kydex and clips are dirt cheap.

All in all its a good holster but if one does some research for what they need to make their own, they could make the same holster for every one of their firearms cheaper and with less wait. Just telling it like I see it guys. I know how tempers flare and trolling is abundant sometimes so I feel I need a warning label on some posts.

Here are pictures from when I first got it

When you sell something for what the material costs, youre probably not going to make any money and youre going to go out of business. I do agree that it could be a little cheaper but youre not going to find ANY company selling a holster like this at that price you suggest. I certainly dont think the CBST is overpriced but it would be a better deal at $70. Suggesting they sell it for $35 is absurd.

I love mine and it was certainly worth the $85 I paid for it.

Nakanokalronin
06-18-2011, 13:39
When you sell something for what the material costs, youre probably not going to make any money and youre going to go out of business. I do agree that it could be a little cheaper but youre not going to find ANY company selling a holster like this at that price you suggest. I certainly dont think the CBST is overpriced but it would be a better deal at $70. Suggesting they sell it for $35 is absurd.

I love mine and it was certainly worth the $85 I paid for it.

The $35 is for one person making one holster for themselves. Material bought in bulk has the price drop dramatically per holster. I will go as far as $50 max for the CBST holster and even at that mark they are making plenty. You'd be surprised at the mark-up on some products. I've seen industrial hoses that use $100 worth of material and sell for $10,000 +. I understand they want to make money but from an end user that knows how inexpensive the material is and how simple the product is I'm going to tell it like I see it. Yes they make it well but I seem to see more and more companies from leather outfitters and off the wall mom & pop shops that never made holsters before, making the same thing because they know how easy it is and the profit they can make from it. Lots of these companies are also including screws instead of rivits so the same backing can be reused but with a diffferent shell so a whole new holster doesn't need to be made with another 4-5 week wait and another $70-$85 for another gun model.

I'm not putting anyone's purchase down, not even my own. I do like the holster but I do not plan on buying another one. My main point is, the holster is great but the price is too much.