Standard mil-spec recoil spring [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Standard mil-spec recoil spring

les sauvage
06-18-2011, 15:27
I know this probably is a stupid question but here goes: What is the standard weight (pounds) for a 1911 mil-spec/GI, 5", all that? I bought a 1911 some years ago and when I first shot it I had terrible problems with stovepipes. Turns out it had some wierd recoil spring, too short, so I got a Kimber replacement, I think it was 12#, but I'm not sure. Anyway, problem solved, worked fine. I probably have shot 100 rounds since then. I take it out a few weeks ago and it's back up to its old shenanigans. Stovepipes almost every round, whether its with crappy Wolf or my JHP Rangers. :steamed:

I'm going to replace the extractor but I'm not surewhat the original recoil springs were set at. I don't know if this Kimber spring went bad or what. But I'm going to take on both suspects, extractor and recoil spring. :dunno:

Quack
06-18-2011, 15:51
16#'s is standard for a 5" 1911

Hawker Man
06-18-2011, 15:56
The answer to all your 1911 and most other hand gun springs can be found at this web site.
http://www.gunsprings.com/
If it is a 45 ACP the recoil spring should be a 16 pounder.

knedrgr
06-18-2011, 15:59
Just get a new Wolff replacement spring kit for the government and replace everything.

samuse
06-18-2011, 16:06
The current build sheet shows that the MEUSOC 1911s use 18.5# variable Wolff with an XP firing pin spring.

And a Wilson shok buff.

CMG
06-18-2011, 16:53
16#'s is standard for a 5" 1911

Correct for a 5" .45 ACP.

My table below:

Gov’t Model 9mm, .38S ~ 14 lb
Gov’t Model.40 S&W ~ 19 lb
Gov’t Model 10mm ~ 23 lb
Gov’t Model .45 ACP ~ 16 lb

Commander 9mm ~ 16 lb
Commander .45 ~ 18 lb

Defender 9mm ~ 17 lb
Defender .45 ~ 19 lb

Jim S.
06-18-2011, 20:04
It could very well be a problem with your magazine(s).

les sauvage
06-20-2011, 16:06
Thanks guys. I'm trying hard to remember what the spring I got was. If it was only 12# that would explain a lot. I know the 3 mags I have carried for the last few years are looking kinda sketchy here, so they may be in the junk bin and get some new ones too. I like to have a few extra 1911 mags just in case. Next trip to the range we'll see if they fix the problem before we replace expensive parts.

Jason D
06-20-2011, 16:51
An over powered spring will cause all sorts of problems.

I had a gun with a spring that came in it from the factory that was so powerful. That the slide couldn't make it all the way to the rear. This caused a lot of stove pipes, as the rounds couldn't clear the gun fast enough.

The slide would also come flying forward so fast, that it would often fail to lock back after the last round was fired. The final little trick it liked to do, was eject live ammo.

As the gun suffered several other problems due to shortcuts taken when it was built, I fixed them all that the same time. A wolff 16 pound variable power spring fixed the gun's feeding/ejection/lock back problems. The added benefit of that spring, is that I can now fire anything I want in the gun. It was built as a hardball only gun. It will take full power hardball rounds, and still function with ammo loaded with 3.6 grains of bullseye.

An underpowered spring will often fail to return the slide to battery.
It will also unnecessarily batter the frame with normal/standard ammo.
To run a 12 pound spring, you would need to load real light target loads.

I would buy a new 16# spring and shoot the gun.