Removal of Series 80 parts from Colt? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Removal of Series 80 parts from Colt?

H&K .45 AUTO
06-18-2011, 17:36
I have a Colt Series 80 Officer's ACP. My question is this.... If I remove the series 80 parts (firing pin safety plunger and spring, as well as the levers), and don't install the shim that Brownell's sells to fill the gap from the levers.... Will the pistol be safe to fire, and will the pistol work reliably?

I've read various forums where people have removed the parts, and added the shim, but I'm wondering if the shim is really necessary. Anybody here done this?

okie
06-18-2011, 17:53
I have heard if you take safety stuff off your pistol and you defend your self with it, the lawyer on the side of the person you shot will say your gun was modified to help you kill people better, and easier, so if it's a CCW gun I wouldn't do it. This is what I have heard, someone working at Glock told me this.:supergrin:

drc767
06-18-2011, 17:59
I have a Colt Series 80 Officer's ACP. My question is this.... If I remove the series 80 parts (firing pin safety plunger and spring, as well as the levers), and don't install the shim that Brownell's sells to fill the gap from the levers.... Will the pistol be safe to fire, and will the pistol work reliably?

I've read various forums where people have removed the parts, and added the shim, but I'm wondering if the shim is really necessary. Anybody here done this?

Yes and Yes....

H&K .45 AUTO
06-18-2011, 17:59
LOL! I'm not worried about the legal consequences of using such a pistol for defense. I'm asking strictly from the standpoint of wondering whether the weapon could be safely fired, and whether it would retain its reliability after removing the parts.

H&K .45 AUTO
06-18-2011, 18:01
Yes and Yes....

So, you are saying that the shim is necessary? I'm trying to figure out exactly what purpose it serves, and what would be the potential issues that may come about by not using it after the levers and plunger are removed. Any insight?

Quack
06-18-2011, 18:08
yes, the shim is needed since part of the frame is relieve to fit the 80 series parts.

if you don't have a shim, the hammer and sear will have side to side play.

the 80 series can have a nice trigger with all the parts intact. some of the guys that have shot my R1 can chime in on what they think about the trigger work.

lsbbigdog
06-18-2011, 18:09
shim is needed as a spacer so the hammer & sear are not sliding back & forth on their pins. Why not sell the 80 & buy a 70 series?

H&K .45 AUTO
06-18-2011, 18:14
The thing is, I like my series 80 pistol a lot. The reason why I am asking this is because I had the pistol Cerakoted, and it looks great. But..... I got it back, and it's now missing the series 80 parts. I called the place where the re-finish job was done, and they claim that the parts were never there to begin with.

I'm just wondering if my pistol will shoot as is, or do I need to do something to make it fire?

drc767
06-18-2011, 18:17
The thing is, I like my series 80 pistol a lot. The reason why I am asking this is because I had the pistol Cerakoted, and it looks great. But..... I got it back, and it's now missing the series 80 parts. I called the place where the re-finish job was done, and they claim that the parts were never there to begin with.

I'm just wondering if my pistol will shoot as is, or do I need to do something to make it fire?

Yes.....You need the shim kit.

H&K .45 AUTO
06-18-2011, 18:19
I appreciate the clarification. I suppose I will go ahead and order the series 80 parts, and pay a smith' to re-install them. I was just hoping this wasn't going to have to cost me more money. Ya' live and learn.

knedrgr
06-18-2011, 18:21
That's a rotten deal.

H&K .45 AUTO
06-18-2011, 18:23
That's a rotten deal.

I thought so too. Sad thing is that the guy did a fantastic job on the Cerakote, and the pistol looks so much better now, that I almost have a hard time being upset about the missing parts.

limbkiller
06-18-2011, 18:28
Whoever did the finish lost the parts or found them to be a pain to put back in, and they are, and said to hell with it. They owe you the parts as they were in the gun when you took it to them if you didn't remove them yourself. Give them a call and ask.

H&K .45 AUTO
06-18-2011, 18:30
Whoever did the finish lost the parts or found them to be a pain to put back in, and they are, and said to hell with it. They owe you the parts as they were in the gun when you took it to them if you didn't remove them yourself. Give them a call and ask.

I agree. And, I did call the guy to ask. The problem is that he claims the were never there, and I can't prove otherwise. I was hoping to find out that the pistol would work without them, and that I could just go on without further expense. Looks like the little Colt is going to be costing me a bit more coin.

CMG
06-18-2011, 18:35
I appreciate the clarification. I suppose I will go ahead and order the series 80 parts, and pay a smith' to re-install them. I was just hoping this wasn't going to have to cost me more money. Ya' live and learn.

No 'smith needed either way, the parts are all drop-in.

The shim prevents the sear from hanging up on the frame recess the levers fit into.

H&K .45 AUTO
06-18-2011, 18:39
I suppose I could try it without a smith. But, my mechanical abilities pretty much end at the field-strip level. Is the shim easier to add than replacing the original parts?

Quack
06-18-2011, 18:40
since you need new parts, get the C&S upgrade.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5501/avs%7CManufacturer_1=CYLINDER%20zzxzz%20SLIDE/Product/SERIES_80_TRIGGER_PULL_REDUCTION_KIT

CMG
06-18-2011, 18:52
I suppose I could try it without a smith. But, my mechanical abilities pretty much end at the field-strip level. Is the shim easier to add than replacing the original parts?

Yes.

I put the shim in place, and install the hammer pin (without the hammer). That holds the shim in place while I replace the sear and disconnector and their pin. Then remove the hammer pin and reinstall along with the hammer.

With the shim you don't need the spring and plunger for the slide.

CMG
06-18-2011, 18:55

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5501/avs%7CManufacturer_1=CYLINDER%20zzxzz%20SLIDE/Product/SERIES_80_TRIGGER_PULL_REDUCTION_KIT

Shim is here:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13121/avs|Make_3=1911/Product/1911_AUTO_FRAME_SLOT_BLANK

Your choice, but I'd spend the $5 vs the $48 - but I'm not a fan of the firing pin safeties.

Quack
06-18-2011, 18:56
but if he's going to use it for defense, it would be wise to keep the 80 series in.

Series 80 really isn't an issue, just like the FLGR and GI guide rod.

lsbbigdog
06-18-2011, 18:57

If you sent it to me it would of came back with all the parts :whistling:.

That's bogus that they did that to you. Hopefully you don't use them again or recommend them either.

H&K .45 AUTO
06-18-2011, 18:57
CMG... At the risk of me sounding like a total idiot, I must admit that the process you describe sounds complicated enough to me, to warrant my spending a few bucks to pay a professional to do it. LOL!

H&K .45 AUTO
06-18-2011, 18:58
If I have learned nothing else from this... It is to be cautious of who I allow to work on my Colt.

Jim S.
06-18-2011, 20:00

This is what I would do also. You have your gun in "original" working condition, and it even improves the trigger pull a bit.

CMG
06-19-2011, 08:57
CMG... At the risk of me sounding like a total idiot, I must admit that the process you describe sounds complicated enough to me, to warrant my spending a few bucks to pay a professional to do it. LOL!

Sounds wise to me, as Dave Mustaine once sang: A man has got to know his limitations. :supergrin: