Seeking clarificaton on open carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Seeking clarificaton on open carry

1911gobang
06-19-2011, 16:38
Is NC an open carry state, or isn't it?
I hear all the mumbo-jumbo about "going armed to the terror of the public."

As I read it, if ONE person sees you carrying openly and they get scared, you are screwed.....

Now, I live in a fairly conservative area, and there have been a few times I went to the local Kangaroo for gas, gatorade, etc., open carrying and I have walked into the grocery store for something quick and did not wear concealment. I don't do it often, but once in a blue moon....

No one, not even in uniform LEO batted an eye.....

Does anyone have a non-legalese explanation of it according to the NC general statutes? I have a CHP and do not want to stir up a hornet's nest.

GiveMeLiberty
06-20-2011, 12:19
Yes. It is legal. I live in Greensboro & I have OC'd quite a bit. No open-carrier is ever really charged with the commonlaw statute you reference. It is merely a scare tactic. In order to convict for GATTOP the DA would have to prove intent, which is damn near impossible. Also, NC case law has established that visibly carrying a properly-holstered handgun does not constitute intent to cause "terror" as it pertains to the law.

Join the forums at opencarry.org - lots of good info there. We have a fairly active subforum for NC too. I post under the name Ruger there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

GiveMeLiberty
06-20-2011, 12:34
PS - if one person is scared, you're not screwed. In 2 years of regular OC in the state's 3rd largest city, I've only been accosted by the law once - High Point PD while I was grocery shopping in the same store I've been shopping at for years. Turns out a customer was scared, and management called just to make sure I was acting within the law. 911 operator offered to send officers & management declined the offer. The operator sent officers on site anyway. Cops were not quite rude, but less than polite while they threatened me & proved to me that I know more about GATTOP than they do. I finished my shopping (still open carrying) & left.

Later found out from the customer service manager that the cops were very rude with her & acted like she wasted their time. She had to remind them that she doesn't have a problem with me carrying in the store, and that she implicitly said that officers were not needed.

Bottom line is to make sure you know the law as it relates to carrying a gun before you leave the house, as you are more likely to be questioned while open carrying. Most of the questions I've had have been friendly inquiries from other shoppers or occasionally cashiers which have turned into educational opportunities for them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk