Ideas for Vol. Firefighter [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Vol. Firefighter

Eski
06-20-2011, 06:35
Hey,

I have been lurking the forms for a little while now. I have purchased a Glock 19 gen4 and have ordered my Crossbreed holster. I have not started CCW yet. But when I do i was just looking for some advice from others pertaining to responding to emergency situations.

Here are my concerns:

- Quickly and safely getting the gun and/or holster off and stored in my car.
- I would think storing the gun in holster in the car is the safest place.
- I could potentially leave it at home (that is when I am at home).

Any thoughts or comments.

txs

Bill Lumberg
06-20-2011, 07:26
No gun should be stored in an unattended vehicle unless it is secured with a supplemental locking device. In the glovebox, armrest, or under the seat, whether the OEM compartments have a lock or not, is a loser move. Start there. Cables and lockboxes are cheap. Hey,

I have been lurking the forms for a little while now. I have purchased a Glock 19 gen4 and have ordered my Crossbreed holster. I have not started CCW yet. But when I do i was just looking for some advice from others pertaining to responding to emergency situations.

Here are my concerns:

- Quickly and safely getting the gun and/or holster off and stored in my car.
- I would think storing the gun in holster in the car is the safest place.
- I could potentially leave it at home (that is when I am at home).

Any thoughts or comments.

txs

Bren
06-20-2011, 09:19
A volunteer firefighter gun? How about this?
http://i33.tinypic.com/mcqjdh.jpg

You'll never put out any serious fire with 9mm.:rofl:

BC Dan
06-20-2011, 09:31
When responding to emergencies, leave the gun at home. I know of no department that will accept the liability of allowing a volunteer to respond to emergencies while carrying firearms. Firearms use and safety is not in the curriculum of any recognized firefighting curriculum. Want to be a cop? Go get the appropriate training and join the police reserves. Then talk to the fire chief (or powers that be) regarding carrying while responding as a firefighter.

madcitycop
06-20-2011, 10:06
Here's some actual advice instead of just telling you if you want to be a cop go be one of those. I was a volunteer firefighter for the last 10 years while a full time police officer and I had a trunk safe then decided that I didnt want to mess with going into my trunk before going into the station so I put a safe in my locker. Went in placed my gun in the safe locked it up and threw my gear on and out the door I went. You and I both know "leave it at home" doesn't cut it because we both know the second you walk out the door to go do something that pagers going off and going back home to secure it isnt a viable option.

Eski
06-20-2011, 18:49
madcitycop, bill txs for the replies. I did not see the fire and EMS section before I posted. Your ideas a great I will get me a lock box for the car. Like you said I have been called into working jobs may times when I am no where near my house. And also txs for noticing that I had no intentions of taking a loaded gun into a burning building.

Eski
06-20-2011, 18:49
Bren I do like the water pistol though

Resqu2
06-21-2011, 11:17
madcitycop, bill txs for the replies. I did not see the fire and EMS section before I posted. Your ideas a great I will get me a lock box for the car. Like you said I have been called into working jobs may times when I am no where near my house. And also txs for noticing that I had no intentions of taking a loaded gun into a burning building.

Unless it's an active structure fire I don't remove mine, sometimes it's OC and other times it's CC. I live in good ol VA and the Troopers have no problem with anyone having a gun. If I arrive at a house fire I throw it under the seat and lock the doors, there are enough people around that I'm not too worried about someone breaking a window in my vehicle but I'm in rural VA, a city setting may be different.