442 trigger weight [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 442 trigger weight

rube12345
06-20-2011, 14:19
Hello Mas,

From listening to ProArms podcasts I believe you are against gunsmithing to reduce the trigger weight of defensive firearms.

My handgun shooting experience is predominantly with semi-autos but I recently started shooting revolvers and am having some difficulty with the trigger weight of one in particular.

I have had trouble keeping a steady sight picture with a new no lock S&W 442. Using irons or the Crimson Trace laser grip I find it very difficult to keep a steady sight picture throughout the entire trigger stroke. It seems to me that that trigger pull becomes heavier as the trigger is pulled back until it breaks. Using a Lyman trigger gauge (and supplemental weight as the Lyman only measures up to 12 pounds), I measured the trigger pull weight at an average of 16 pounds 4 oz over ten pulls.

I compared this to a well worn S&W K38, which had a pull weight of slightly less than 9 pounds.

Apex Tactical sells a J Frame trigger kit which they market as a duty/carry kit which when installed brought the trigger pull weight down to 11 pounds.

I feel I would be able to shoot more accurately with the reduced trigger weight and if reliability does not seem to suffer would prefer to have a revolver I could hit more accurately with.

Is a 16 pound trigger weight too much? Is an 11 pound one too little? Do legal considerations outweigh any benefit in accuracy with regard to defensive firearms?

Can you suggest training techniques to overcome the 16 pound stock trigger weight and increase accuracy with this little revolver?

Thank you for your help,

rube

Mas Ayoob
06-20-2011, 21:09
Rube, I'm not against reducing trigger pull per se, just against reducing it below factory specs and what has become what the courts see as "common custom and practice" for adjusting the given machine without getting into "negligence" territory.

The pull weights you're describing are horrendously heavy. It's pretty damn tough to get a J-frame down to a double action trigger pull that (A) is light enough for anyone to credibly call a "hair trigger" and (B) is still going to reliably ignite a primer.

You indicate that you'll be happy with an 11 pound trigger pull. Ain't NOBODY gonna be able to convince a jury that an eleven pound pull constitutes a "hair trigger" if the lawyer defending the case is worth the tuition payments that put him or her through law school.

Best,
Mas