Walmart wont sell you ammo if your Ocing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Walmart wont sell you ammo if your Ocing

zoanemesis
06-20-2011, 14:53
So last thursday I went at 7 am in the morning to buy ammo in Walmart while Ocing my G23 in a serpa lvl 2 holster. The guy at the counter refused to sell me ammo because I was carrying and they told me it was there "policy" so they asked me to put it in the car and come back. Honestly I complied only because I needed the ammo for my ACT 235 class or else I would of went somewhere else. So I contacted corporate headquarters and I just recieved a phone call from the shift manager. He told me that if a employee feels uncomfortable that they can refuse service to anyone. So me just carrying on my hip being polite asking to buy 150 rounds of ammo made him uncomfortable? So I for one am asking advice on what my next step should be? I know walmart is supposed to follow state and local laws regarding firearms. So wouldn't that mean that they should sell you ammo? This was the Walmart in Honesdale PA and I have bought ammo there before while Ocing.

debbert
06-20-2011, 14:57
It could be deemed as suspicious to anybody that a man, who is armed, wants to buy ammo. They may not know that the ammo is for a different gun and they certainly don't know what your intentions are.

There is no harm in stowing the firearm prior to buying ammo.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried to buy ammo at your favorite local gun shop while OCing? I'd be curious to know if they sell it to you, or not.

Chaos88
06-20-2011, 15:01
Next step is let it go and move on with your life. They reserve the right to refuse service to any one for any reason at any time. That day, they chose you.

Booker
06-20-2011, 15:03
I see no problem here!

I have often refused service to people for a variety of reasons.

Today, it's people who carry Glock 23's. :tongueout:

Seraph
06-20-2011, 15:04
I can't imagine how you thought it would be any different.

Dragoon44
06-20-2011, 15:05
I know walmart is supposed to follow state and local laws regarding firearms.

That is corporate's stated policy.If a local store does not follow it then that is an issue only between corporate and the local store. It is not an issue of law.

Your only avenue is to make a complaint to corporate.

joel_conley
06-20-2011, 15:05
I dont OC often, but the one time I did this year I went to Walmart and purchased a .22 rifle and ammo for it with no problems. You might try and contact a higher up and get a copy of the policy.

REA9mm
06-20-2011, 15:08
Concealed carry could've prevented this.

brob2425
06-20-2011, 15:16
Seriously, any private business has a right to deny service to anyone. There is no law against that. Just another freedom, along with the 2nd amend, our great country gives it's people. These die-hard OCers who want to make a big deal out of every little incident do more harm than good for the community. If you don't like their policy, don't shop there. That's all you can do.

In this day where random shootings are happening all the time, it's completely understandable that someone would be uncomfortable selling ammo to someone OCing. Just yesterday someone went into a drug store in NY and shot 4 people. You may be an upstanding citizen, but the guy selling you the ammo doesn't know that and has no idea of your intentions. Granted, someone with ill intentions most likely won't be OCing, concern is still understandable.

zoanemesis
06-20-2011, 15:24
I understand the right to refuse service to anybody but it seems to be more of a discrimination issue then anything. Thats like refusing service to a guy who dresses in baggy clothes because the employee doesnt like the way he dresses.

pipedreams
06-20-2011, 15:32
You do know baggy cloths don't present the perceived danger a firearm does. I have purchased ammo at WM while CC with no problem. I wouldn't dream of walking into the store OC even if I legally could.

HotRoderX
06-20-2011, 15:32
I can understand the stores point of view on this. I also understand your point of view. In this case I don't think the store did anything wrong but I don't think you did anything wrong either. The store has the right to refuse service to you for any reason. That's what they did I say call to corporate would be the only thing you could do. I let it go at least they where willing to sell you ammo after you put the gun away. Here where I live if you buy a firearm from the Local Walmart they will not sell you ammo for 24hrs.

trifecta
06-20-2011, 15:35
I understand the right to refuse service to anybody but it seems to be more of a discrimination issue then anything. Thats like refusing service to a guy who dresses in baggy clothes because the employee doesnt like the way he dresses.

Not really a great analogy. The general public doesn't see a wearing a firearm the same way they see wearing a wrist watch.

I still don't understand why they would conduct business that way. If you are wearing a gun, it is pretty safe to figure you already have ammo. Selling you another 150 rounds doesn't seem to warrant a second thought.

Electrikkoolaid
06-20-2011, 15:39
Open carry could have prevented this. Oh, wait...

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/People-Of-Walmart-Open-Carry-Texas.jpg

nikerret
06-20-2011, 15:42
I had this happen to me a few years ago. Took my firearm to the car, returned and purchased ammo. No big deal.

RyanNREMTP
06-20-2011, 15:49
Open carry could have prevented this. Oh, wait...

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/People-Of-Walmart-Open-Carry-Texas.jpg

I think that was here in Waco.

C5A
06-20-2011, 15:49
I never could understand why someone would want to OC an empty weapon unless they just wanted to be the center of attention. It sure does not give the security of a fully loaded one CCW.

up1911fan
06-20-2011, 15:53
What your next step should be? Don't be an idiot and make us look bad, that should be your next step.

Orive 8
06-20-2011, 15:53
"Concealed carry could've prevented this."

Kind of thinking the same thing myself.

OctoberRust
06-20-2011, 15:58
lol wait, an emo kid open carrying? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ETA - I guess I can see why you wouldn't CC like most of us, since skinny jeans would be kind of hard to fit an IWB in huh? :rofl:

Shinesintx
06-20-2011, 16:00

...and yet Open Carry caused it? Weird, goes against everything I have read.:supergrin:

zoanemesis
06-20-2011, 16:06

ETA - I guess I can see why you wouldn't CC like most of us, since skinny jeans would be kind of hard to fit an IWB in huh? :rofl:
oh wow you looked me up how cute i guess i have a secret admirer now.

owl6roll
06-20-2011, 16:06

Yep, I agree. I don't really care to let mr. bad guy know I'm packing.

NickC50310
06-20-2011, 16:08
This thread provides LOLs a plenty!

Why anyone would ever open carry is completely beyond me.

zoanemesis
06-20-2011, 16:11

Why not open carry? I mean its a good deterrent, very comfortable, and it shows people that not all people carrying guns are bad.

ashecht
06-20-2011, 16:12
I have purchased ammo from several area walmarts while both OC'ing and CC'ing and never had a problem. But that could be that I am on a first name basis with pretty much every person who works in sporting goods. I know some of them so well, the other day I was out to eat with the family, and one of the sporting goods clerks was there too, and came up to say hello to me. This might mean I am spending a tad too much time buying ammo at walmart. On the other hand, I have had several huge, loud arguments with store management when they try to deny me buying ammo after 9pm, saying it was store policy. several phone calls to corporate later, they dont try to pull that crap with me anymore. The manager just got pissed cause they couldnt find the ammo cabinet key. Thats HIS job, and NOT my issue. The one particular manager still gives me a dirty look each time he sees me, probably because he got his ass reamed out after my 5 or 6 phone calls and emails complaining about him since he made the mistake of wearing his name tag

Happy Hunting
06-20-2011, 16:12
In this day where random shootings are happening all the time, it's completely understandable that someone would be uncomfortable.

Stop there, demagogue.

Sam Spade
06-20-2011, 16:20

Yup, it is. And there's nothing legally wrong with either.

Choices, consequences, all that stuff.

Sammael
06-20-2011, 16:30
I for one am asking advice on what my next step should be?

Suck it up & move on.

faawrenchbndr
06-20-2011, 16:33
So I for one am asking advice on what my next step should be?

Since OC seems to be your problem,.........get a flippin IWB holster!

Esco
06-20-2011, 16:33
oh wow you looked me up how cute i guess i have a secret admirer now.

How did he find out you're emo?

pag23
06-20-2011, 16:37
What would you have done if someone walks in and asks to buy ammo with a gun showing?

I live in PA and I prefer to carry concealed.... less issues and or problems

zoanemesis
06-20-2011, 16:47

im not emo lol when i was younger i dressed like that and to be honest i dont know lol kinda creepy if u ask me.

zoanemesis
06-20-2011, 16:49
What would you have done if someone walks in and asks to buy ammo with a gun showing?

I would sell it to them. Why wouldnt I? Its not illegal to open carry in PA and I have never heard of a criminal open carrying so obviously theres no reason to refuse service.

eracer
06-20-2011, 16:54
http://bighugelabs.com/output/motivatore45830b45dc8a0e9b4d442ea483cf9b6c4732223.jpg

La26
06-20-2011, 17:16
Yep, I agree. I don't really care to let mr. bad guy know I'm packing.

I agree too. You don't want to send the message of "shoot me first" to the bad guy just in case you walk in on something going down.

kensteele
06-20-2011, 17:20
I thought Walmart walked customers out the door with their ammo? If not, maybe that was an option to let you purchase the ammo, take you out the front door, hand you the purchase at the edge of the parking lot.

Honestly it doesn't make sense to me. If you had ill intentions, you certainly wouldn't let a "legal purchase" stand in your way. What kind of criminal demands to pay cash or use a credit card to first obtain the ammo before he shoots up the place. If the ammo is securely locked away....maybe. Still, I understand if the clerk is uncomfortable but maybe surely he has to know the ammo is going to be used in a gun somewhere (hidden, at home, out in the car, on the hip). He could easily say to the unarmed patron, I'm not comfortable selling ammo to you when your handgun could be just outside in your car.

Are you black or hispanic or asian? Then you might have a case. It's hard for him to say he's uncomfortable selling ammo to an armed black man because ammo has certainly been sold to armed white men before. Right now, being armed is not protected so you have very little legal recourse. You should be mail ordering your ammo anyway. Blacks and hispanic and asians have prospered with goods and services over the internet where they have traditionally ran into roadblocks.

As a consumer protected by the state, you always have legal options if you choose to explore them. Don't let anyone tell you a private property owner has sweeping and broad unfettered rights when it comes to interacting with the public. IMO they don't. They must certainly will if you abdicate (for lack of a better word) your rights, if you let them. Can a store refuse to sell you the last box of sale price ammo and then sell it to the next guy in line? Sure. ;)

kensteele
06-20-2011, 17:25
I agree too. You don't want to send the message of "shoot me first" to the bad guy just in case you walk in on something going down.

I am going to go out on a limb and say probably more unarmed people have been shot and killed walking in on a robbery in progress than armed people OCing. If I walk in on a robbery, I'd rather be armed (either OC or CC) then unarmed. I don't not agree with CC first, unarmed second, OC third.

Honestly, I've never heard of that message being sent to armed robbers (except here on GT), do you have an example of when and where it might have happened? I know it has happened (I recall reading an article but it wasn't specific about OC being the cause) but I believe it is rare.

Bruce M
06-20-2011, 18:14
Why not open carry? I mean its a good deterrent, very comfortable, and it shows people that not all people carrying guns are bad.

Apparently at least one guy at a Walmart was not convinced that you are not one of the bad people...

G26S239
06-20-2011, 18:25
It was a deterrent to you buying ammo. The good news is you got noticed! :dancing:

MajorTomNC
06-20-2011, 18:27
I agree with the CCW prevention. Otherwise, leave it in the car.

ssfeldjager
06-20-2011, 18:39

Amuse us, then. Try a civil court acton against Walmart and keep us posted as to your progress; or lack thereof.

Their store; their rules. Those who don't like it are free to shop elsewhere, I'd guess would be their response. Just a thought. :whistling:

TheSorb
06-20-2011, 18:44
...Just another freedom, along with the 2nd amend, our great country gives it's people...

PLEASE tell me you're NOT serious?!?! Our great country doesn't give us rights. We, as human beings, are BORN with rights. The best thing a government can do is recognize that we ALL possess rights, and then NOT infringe upon them!

ravenkeeper98
06-20-2011, 18:51
I never could understand why someone would want to OC an empty weapon unless they just wanted to be the center of attention. It sure does not give the security of a fully loaded one CCW.

In PA where the OP is from, there is no silly rule like in CA, you can open carry ready to go, one in the chamber.

wrenrj1
06-20-2011, 19:01
I go in, buy ammo, which is the last thing I do as they have to ring you up at the gun counter. I know the routine and I don't open carry. I am there for ammo. Based upon other threads about open carry, I choose not to make a statement because I'm not there to make a statement, I'm there to buy ammo, again which is the last thing I do at Walmart because they have to ring up my cheese, milk, etc. OC's get over it, realize it's your problem, not Walmarts.

michael e
06-20-2011, 19:32
So there was no other place that sells ammo around you? Your pissed they wouldnt sell to you while armed but you still bought from them, so they see it as a win for them. If you really wanted to do something you would have just walked out and went somewhere else.

Glenn E. Meyer
06-20-2011, 20:36
I think the Supreme Court likes WalMart - so good luck with a suit.

NMGlocker
06-20-2011, 20:39
Why do people seek out attention, then complain when they get it?

Ruggles
06-20-2011, 20:48

:rofl:

cowboy1964
06-20-2011, 20:57
OC is usually more hassle than it's worth. Also, the "deterrence factor" is largely overstated. Even cops are sometimes assaulted for their guns.

DaneA
06-20-2011, 21:29
What you should do is call the corporate office some more so that they have to send more emails to the store management. So the store management has to call you some more and explain that they have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. In the end all you have done is irritated the store management over something stupid. You managed to get the one of many retards that work for walmart that thought he would try to play hero by not selling you the ammo. He's sitting in the break room right now telling his story of how he saved everyone in the store by making you take your gun to your car first.

As a retail manager myself, I really find it annoying when someone "calls corporate" because all it does is generate an email to me to call the person and find out what their problem is. It would be more effective to just call the store and ask for the store manager cause he is the one that has to deal with it anyway.

Lior
06-20-2011, 22:27
It's not like you were a white guy wearing a sheet and pointed hat and carrying a big cross wanting to buy gasoline from a black guy's fuel station. The seller was just demonstrating the difference between legal and smart (i.e. was within his policy to decline service for no reason, but was a dork in doing so). I'm sure that there are other places that will be happy to sell you ammunition, even if you come in dressed as Big Bird with a 1911 under each wing.

RussP
06-21-2011, 00:14
zoanemesis, this is a little off topic, but are you still planning on entering the police academy this summer?

JuneyBooney
06-21-2011, 00:21
I think that was here in Waco.

:rofl:I wonder if she has her hair in curlers? That is funny.

JuneyBooney
06-21-2011, 00:23
I don't know what the op looks like but maybe he looks too clean cut. You know you can't trust clean cut people.:supergrin::tongueout: Next time throw a wig on and some dark glasses.

LongGoneDays
06-21-2011, 00:58
The savings of buying ammo online VS the local gun store are too much to pass up, so I'm well stocked from Graf's. However in a last minute need like the OP had, I'd probably go to a gun store to buy just a few boxes, ESPECIALLY if I was an OCer.

Bill Lumberg
06-21-2011, 06:02
You were looking for attention and when you got it it bothered you? Easy fix. It's not wrong to open carry, but in the setting you describe, it was hardly the best choice.
So last thursday I went at 7 am in the morning to buy ammo in Walmart while Ocing my G23 in a serpa lvl 2 holster. The guy at the counter refused to sell me ammo because I was carrying and they told me it was there "policy" so they asked me to put it in the car and come back. Honestly I complied only because I needed the ammo for my ACT 235 class or else I would of went somewhere else. So I contacted corporate headquarters and I just recieved a phone call from the shift manager. He told me that if a employee feels uncomfortable that they can refuse service to anyone. So me just carrying on my hip being polite asking to buy 150 rounds of ammo made him uncomfortable? So I for one am asking advice on what my next step should be? I know walmart is supposed to follow state and local laws regarding firearms. So wouldn't that mean that they should sell you ammo? This was the Walmart in Honesdale PA and I have bought ammo there before while Ocing.

Steve50
06-21-2011, 06:13
try to blend in - wear slippers or something

whitebread
06-21-2011, 08:57

I just blew water out my nose when I read that. :highfive:

zoanemesis
06-21-2011, 09:01
zoanemesis, this is a little off topic, but are you still planning on entering the police academy this summer?

Yep yep sure am! why do you ask? and also to the other posters I would of gone somewhere else to get ammo but nobody in the area is open at 7 am and I needed the ammo for my ACT 235 class so I had to get it from walmart.

Speakeasy
06-21-2011, 09:21
The savings of buying ammo online VS the local gun store are too much to pass up, so I'm well stocked from Graf's. However in a last minute need like the OP had, I'd probably go to a gun store to buy just a few boxes, ESPECIALLY if I was an OCer.
Cheaperthandirt WWB .45ACP is $37.93 + $13.95 shipping. I paid $35.28 out the door at Wal Mart the other day. I guess if I buy in major bulk it might be cheaper, but local stores aren't an option for that.

Sam Spade
06-21-2011, 09:36
Ahhh...*now* I get it.

Mr. Z, you might be better served by an enlistment than an academy right now. You need some seasoning before you get out in the world, including an understanding of "legal" vs. "just" and where you fit into that food chain.

RussP
06-21-2011, 10:45
Ahhh...*now* I get it.

Mr. Z, you might be better served by an enlistment than an academy right now. You need some seasoning before you get out in the world, including an understanding of "legal" vs. "just" and where you fit into that food chain.:thumbsup:

G22DaD
06-21-2011, 10:46
Personally, when I was waiting for my permit to come in the mail, I decided to call my local Walmart and just ask up front, if it is permissible to carry there. No one knew the correct policy. Later, I got a phone call from the stores' assistant manager, who told me that, while they support the patrons who legally carry in their store, he suggested to me to just keep it under cover and they'll be no issues. I've taken that advice and never looked back.

SCmasterblaster
06-21-2011, 12:04
I am going to Wlamart in West Lebanon, NH today to purchase .22LR ammunition. Seeing how i don't gave a NH CCW permit, I either have to open carry or CCW an unloaded gun. I think that I'll OC.

JWED
06-21-2011, 12:25

OK I understand it is your right. A lot of people do not have a clue and need to be eased back into accepting what is good about carrying a firearm. Why try to provoke a situation with those who simply do not understand. CC is the best option. Be courteous and fair and be responsible. Provoking situations just gives anti-gunners more ammunition!

Glenn E. Meyer
06-21-2011, 13:19
Here's where OC would help in Walmart. My wife and I went out to dinner in a very nice restaurant. To be appropriately dressed and armed (in case of zombies in upscale restaurants), I covered my Glock with a nice vest from BullFrogKen. It's dressy and not tactical. It was navy blue.

So after the fancy dinner, she says we have to stop at Walmart to buy something. As we went through the aisles - folks would yell at me: CAN I GET SOME HELP HERE!!

I ignored them and went on my way, leaving them sputtering. So OC or a different color vest?

John Rambo
06-21-2011, 13:46
Stop wearing a deadly weapon out in the open and this won't be an issue. You're free to walk around like Clint Eastwood if you want. And they're free to refuse to sell things to some psychopath walking around like Clint Eastwood asking to buy ammo.

http://www.brainygamer.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/09/16/brilliant.jpg

SCmasterblaster
06-21-2011, 18:10
I am going to Wlamart in West Lebanon, NH today to purchase .22LR ammunition. Seeing how i don't gave a NH CCW permit, I either have to open carry or CCW an unloaded gun. I think that I'll OC.

I concealed carried into this WalMart with an unloaded G17. They had the Federal .22 LR box of 550 for $18.50. I had a mag loaded with 15 rounds in my pocket.

whitebread
06-21-2011, 19:04
I concealed carried into this WalMart with an unloaded G17. They had the Federal .22 LR box of 550 for $18.50. I had a mag loaded with 15 rounds in my pocket.

You are in Vermont, why carry unloaded?

Bruce M
06-21-2011, 19:09
:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

I would have guessed that open carry might not help the hiring process.

michael e
06-21-2011, 19:30
Glock 17 with 15 rounds? Do you have a special mag? Or just not load to capicity

RevDerb
06-21-2011, 19:38

WHAT??? And miss out on all the fun and attention? There will be no rest until our right to CC is negated as well.

SCmasterblaster
06-22-2011, 06:51
You are in Vermont, why carry unloaded?

I say again, I carry unloaded and concealed in NH because I do not have a NH CCW permit yet.

SCmasterblaster
06-22-2011, 06:53
Glock 17 with 15 rounds? Do you have a special mag? Or just not load to capicity

I have 16 rounds in the gun. including the chamber, and yes, I load minus two in the mag to ease up on the spring a bit.

BARobinson
06-22-2011, 07:11

It's my right! and like the previous reply said it shows not everyone who carries a gun is bad.

The first time was by accident. I carry concealed but took off my shirt when doing some yard work. after a couple of hours in the hot sun I was thirsty so I just walked over to the coffee shop at the local store here in town about a block away forgetting all about my gun being exposed without my shirt on. I am well known here as I get coffee daily there and also go to there church from time to time. (the owner is also a pastor to a church here) so they were not alarmed. Got asked about it and told them I just forgot all about it now I am getting asked about questions about getting a first gun.

We need to fight to keep our rights and showing people that good guys (and girls) carry guns too and not just the bad ones is in my opinion one of the best ways to make sure we keep em.

carloglock19
06-22-2011, 19:41

I was wondering the same thing!

Rebel_James
06-22-2011, 20:10
77 posts and no one has stated the obvious.

If the OP had been wearing his 'Carry Permit Badge' there wouldn't have been a problem!

Folsom_Prison
06-22-2011, 21:59

So true!! :rofl:

poodleshooter1
06-22-2011, 22:06
This is a dumb policy. You should have asked the manager what exactly they think you are buying the ammo for, to make roses and kittens? It's for a freaking gun. You JUST came in with the gun, and somehow putting it back in your car makes the clerk feel safe to give you the ammo. The guy was a MORON and I would have loudly made that clear to anyone in the store all the way out the door.

G26S239
06-22-2011, 23:48
This is a dumb policy. You should have asked the manager what exactly they think you are buying the ammo for, to make roses and kittens? It's for a freaking gun. You JUST came in with the gun, and somehow putting it back in your car makes the clerk feel safe to give you the ammo. The guy was a MORON and I would have loudly made that clear to anyone in the store all the way out the door.

And you would have received even more attention for open carry in the process. There is no such thing as bad publicity. :rofl:

wrenrj1
06-23-2011, 18:53
I would ask for a walmart bag, unholster your weapon, put it in the bag and re-holster your weapon. Concealment issue solved. Your weapon is now cleverly concealed as a Walmart bag dispenser. :supergrin:

P.S. don't try this at home, or at Walmart....:dunno:

persuader
06-23-2011, 23:08
Just a heads up, most departments are looking for recruits who can demonstrate maturity, sound judgement and discretion. If you develop a reputation in your community as "that guy", you can forget ever getting picked up....

OD Green Glock 19
06-24-2011, 00:15
And you would have received even more attention for open carry in the process. There is no such thing as bad publicity. :rofl:
:rofl:

Mr.Reignman
06-24-2011, 00:21
I think you should let it go, immediately.

ponders
07-02-2011, 09:09
be lucky you can even carry into walmart. here in North Dakota its illegal or some city ordinance prevents ppl from doing so. total bs to me. all because like georgia we also have a Public gathering law that totaly blows

SCmasterblaster
07-02-2011, 09:17

I do not load to capacity.

Pvt.snoballz
07-02-2011, 09:18
I have 16 rounds in the gun. including the chamber, and yes, I load minus two in the mag to ease up on the spring a bit.

but it was designed and meant to be loaded to 17...:dunno:

SCmasterblaster
07-02-2011, 09:20
but it was designed and meant to be loaded to 17...:dunno:

OK, I'll put two more in.

Warp
07-02-2011, 10:58
I have purchased ammunition while openly carrying at Walmart. Just thought I'd share. :)

vafish
07-03-2011, 07:38
I would have just walked out of the store, un-tucked my shirt to cover my gun and walked back in to buy the ammo.

Toorop
07-03-2011, 10:29

ETA - I guess I can see why you wouldn't CC like most of us, since skinny jeans would be kind of hard to fit an IWB in huh? :rofl::upeyes:

Nothing like making fun of other people for being different. For dressing different and having a different taste in clothing. It is posts like this that make gun owners look like well reasoned individuals who don't fit the negative stereotype of judging others and following stereotypes. Thanks for making us all look good.