Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster for my Glock [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster for my Glock

DURBANS
06-20-2011, 18:04
Hey guys,

I just got home with the Blackhawk CQC Serpa holster and mag carrier, as well as the Quick Disconnect kit I recently ordered online, waited 3 weeks to get to Peru.

Anyways, I have a couple of questions... how do you conceal this thing? I tried putting it on with both the paddle and the belt loop adaptors and I look like a cop! The gun just hangs out there saying "hey, I'm here!".

Now, I tried it with the Quick Disconnect system and that's even worse! I love the "idea" but it makes the holster offset from my body about an inch or so, making it even more noticeable.

I tried wearing a couple jackets and a hoodie, and I mean, it's weird, it's like you're hiding a big bottle of Coke and it shows. Are there any tips for this particular holster??

Thanks!

trlcavscout
06-20-2011, 18:11
I like the Serpas but I cant carry concealed with it.

Shadyscott69
06-20-2011, 18:13
Hey guys,

I just got home with the Blackhawk CQC Serpa holster and mag carrier, as well as the Quick Disconnect kit I recently ordered online, waited 3 weeks to get to Peru.

Anyways, I have a couple of questions... how do you conceal this thing? I tried putting it on with both the paddle and the belt loop adaptors and I look like a cop! The gun just hangs out there saying "hey, I'm here!".

Now, I tried it with the Quick Disconnect system and that's even worse! I love the "idea" but it makes the holster offset from my body about an inch or so, making it even more noticeable.

I tried wearing a couple jackets and a hoodie, and I mean, it's weird, it's like you're hiding a big bottle of Coke and it shows. Are there any tips for this particular holster??

Thanks!

The Serpa is probably the WORST concealing holster ever made. Not much you can do in that respect.

a81lp
06-20-2011, 18:14
I like the Serpas but I cant carry concealed with it.

this, i have a few for around the house for oc, but your not hiding anything with that holster

Dave.1
06-20-2011, 18:21
Sorry for your disappointment but as the others have said, this is not a concealment holster. I would suggest a Comp-Tac IWB holster. I prefer the Infidel because I can remove it quickly if I need to.
http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog.php?cPath=28&osCsid=covm3h5evc1ohdt90vck157gv5

Dave

Black&TAN
06-20-2011, 18:23
Even in hard winter clothing, coats, I have yet to find a way to conceal my Blackhawk Serpa.

Quick, secure holster, but like the others said-- no way around the fact that they just do not hide well.

via Tapatalk

Bowtie
06-20-2011, 18:27
As others have said, you bought the least concealable concealment holster available..Another vote for Comp-Tac.

Longhornamus
06-20-2011, 18:35
I gave up trying to conceal mine. I am currently using it as a dedicated holster for around the lease. Love the holster, just can't hide it!

PaLEOjd
06-20-2011, 18:53
If you are wanting a paddle holster that is easy to conceal, the Fobus holsters are in the same price range as that Serpa. They are tight against your body and don't stick out like the one you got.
Like mentioned above for IWB, Comp-Tac makes a good product and so does Crossbreed. I have owned both and they are both very comfortable. Personally I like the Crossbreed better and I sold my Comp-Tac to a member on here. For Concealed carry, IWB is the way to go.

Steel Head
06-20-2011, 18:56
XXL trench coat!
I have one for farm carry, great for that lousy for a concealing holster.

SPIN2010
06-20-2011, 18:59
SERPA does a great job in a tactical purse using the molle attachment. I carry my G20/21 or my P226 in my Maxpedition bag, just about everywhere. :cool:

bjesse60
06-20-2011, 19:16
As others have said, you bought the least concealable concealment holster available..Another vote for Comp-Tac.

This, although I do like my serpa for range duty. :cool:

DURBANS
06-20-2011, 20:17
Great. This is one of those FML moments.

I've waited for 3 weeks, paid 45 bucks for shipping (to Peru) and spent 3 hours in the Peruvian post office (which is something that looks and feels like WW2) to get a really nice holster, and I can't use it!

I need to be able to carry this thing, otherwise I just spent 1000 bucks on a gun I can only use at the range... I knew I should've chosen something IWB, but wow, that was 130 bucks ago (I bought a holster, a mag carrier and QD kit).

I there anything I could do to this? Why do they call this a "close quarters concealment holster"?? I could've gotten a Fobus holster here for 30 bucks, but I dunno, they look kinda like the same thing. Makes me think I should've gotten a Ruger LCP and a pocket holster! :crying:

I really liked the QD concept too, I even bought some velcro tape and all to find a place in the car to place the gun while driving...

dregotglock
06-21-2011, 08:04
Serpa works well but is difficult to conceal - found better success with the belt attachment and large outer clothing.

bruzer
06-21-2011, 08:54
I'll give a shout-out for Tommy THEIS holsters. I don't know if he ships out of country but his prices are very reasonable.
It is IWB but for me to properly conceal a Glock 22 I can't do it with an OWB and not have a HUGE pistol looking bulge under my shirt. Good luck.
Mike

RyanNREMTP
06-21-2011, 08:59
A lot of it will depend on body type. I usually can conceal my Sherpa with just a t shirt. A good belt helps for me and keeping it tight against the body. When I wear mine I have a slight pudge where the gun is and to many people it looks like a cell phone or something. Otherwise no one notices it at all.

Guess I'm one of the few that can use it for conceal.

125K9
06-21-2011, 09:27
My gracious man, Peru HAS changed since I was last there!!! Back in the day the cops could even have pistols. They were lucky to have this little traffic podium to stand on, of course it did have to advertise, "Tome Inca Cola." Now civilians carrying guns? What's next?
I have the regular Blackhawk CQC holster, and while it's comfortable, things don't conceal well in it. Since I am a LEO I don't have to worry too much about that, but the older I get the less I like to "advertise" that I'm carrying. Besides, a pistol that sticks out too far gets in the way of my portable oxygen bottle that I pull along behind me.
A company called Eagle Industries made a VERY concealable OWB plastic-type holster that I tried one day. It was comfortable enough and very concealable. Since I'd borrowed the one I had I tried to order one for myself but never got a reply from the company. Forum member 3/4flap has a new holster that seems to work well. Maybe he'll chime in.
Man, gun-toting Peruvians! What's next?

JBL13
06-21-2011, 09:38
A lot of it will depend on body type. I usually can conceal my Sherpa with just a t shirt. A good belt helps for me and keeping it tight against the body. When I wear mine I have a slight pudge where the gun is and to many people it looks like a cell phone or something. Otherwise no one notices it at all.

+1 for me, my Serpa, and my G21SF.

whitebread
06-21-2011, 09:45
The Serpa is probably the WORST concealing holster ever made. Not much you can do in that respect.

I agree. Yet you see a lot of people state on here that they conceal it. For the life of me I can't see how you would successfully conceal it unless you are wearing an over-sized down jacket.

DURBANS
06-21-2011, 14:42

What's your body type like?

I'm 6'1, and around 210 pounds or so. Let me know what works best for ya, and also, what do you look like, maybe it works best on small framed people, I dunno.

I really don't see myself buying a new holster anytime soon, unfortunately, spending 140 bucks for the holster/mag pouch and QD kit and lets not forget the grand I spent on the Glock isn't that much of a party for the wife... And I seriosly wouldn't want to tell her I messed up and we need to spend more money.

Now, I'm thinking of using this holster and the Quick Disconnect kit for a different purpose... I was thinking of setting the male adapter on the holster and placing a female adapter somewhere on the car, where I can set the gun while driving. I will unfortunately not be able to carry the gun when I get off the car since it's a huge bulge and I don't always wear big coats. I'm thinking of maybe getting one of these... they're cheap, and I dunno if they work well?

http://armasperu.com/images/productos/img_g/105-M-INGLOC.jpg

1canvas
06-21-2011, 15:02
Great. This is one of those FML moments.

I've waited for 3 weeks, paid 45 bucks for shipping (to Peru) and spent 3 hours in the Peruvian post office (which is something that looks and feels like WW2) to get a really nice holster, and I can't use it!

I need to be able to carry this thing, otherwise I just spent 1000 bucks on a gun I can only use at the range... I knew I should've chosen something IWB, but wow, that was 130 bucks ago (I bought a holster, a mag carrier and QD kit).

I there anything I could do to this? Why do they call this a "close quarters concealment holster"?? I could've gotten a Fobus holster here for 30 bucks, but I dunno, they look kinda like the same thing. Makes me think I should've gotten a Ruger LCP and a pocket holster! :crying:

I really liked the QD concept too, I even bought some velcro tape and all to find a place in the car to place the gun while driving...

i always post questions or do a good search on here before i buy anything. i also watch the classifieds and can usually buy used for a good price from a fellow GT member. i don't think i was ever steered wrong yet and i know i have spent hundreds.

threefeathers
06-21-2011, 15:33
I conceal quite well with the EOtac Covert shirt,the Blackhawk covert shirt, A Hawaiian shirt slightly big and long.
You MUST wear the belt config not the paddle.

Atomic Punk
06-21-2011, 15:45
i got one to use for OC with my G20. works great for that. but it sticks out a lot, would not want to try and conceal it, thats what my m-tac is for.

RyanNREMTP
06-21-2011, 16:01
I'm 5'7" and weigh 175. I have a little bit of a belly but not much. I do wear extra large shirts but mainly because I have wide shoulders. I use my holster with the paddle part on so it does stay a little closer to my body.

As for the money you spent, I'm sorry you have to pay a higher price for things down there. Many people here went through numerous holsters before finding the right one for them. I know there are better ones out there but I'm happy with the one I have and I've only gone through three holsters to find this one by accident.

Tmoney33
06-21-2011, 16:03
I have 2 Serpas. 1 for my G23 and the other for a M&P9c. Adjust the cant to be forward and they'll conceal better. Great holster.

wagonm
06-21-2011, 17:11
I find they geared for..... OPEN CARRY! LOL .

But seriously, I bought one just for action shooting.

All my CC rigs are IWB.

DURBANS
06-21-2011, 17:49
I just bought an Uncle Mike's IWB holster, one of those sleeves...

It conceals better for sure, I mean, I'm pretty sure I'll find a way of carrying this gun, either with the Serpa or this new sleeve. Don't take me wrong, but today I when I bought this thing I took a look at the LCP and that thing was "made" for CC! I could just put it in my pocket and be done with it. But hey, I assume the Glock is better... help me stay on the path, I don't wanna go astray! hehe

CrackerKen
06-21-2011, 19:07
Be sure to wear a really good, all leather, 1 1/2" wide belt, and keep it tight. One of the many belts sold as gun belts, or one that is kind of thick (about 3/16" to 1/4" will do. That should help keep the pistol/holster up close to you. I met a guy I know last week, and he was keeping a compact .40 XD in a Serpa, concealed by a loose cover shirt, and you couldn't see it.

One of the Fobus Evolution holsters with the adjustable tension screws (NOT the regular Fobus), could be an answer.

Either way, a nice, supportive belt is a must (for OWB or IWB).

Mudshark100
06-21-2011, 20:05
I bought a serpa and, as many have stated already, found that it was very comfortable but next to impossible to conceal. The good news is I found a way to mount it on the inside of the center console of my car and it makes an outstanding car holster.

DURBANS
06-21-2011, 21:15
I really like this Uncle Mike's sleeve... you can't see I have a gun! I'm using it on the SOB position, but even using it in front (like a Mexican carry or something) you can't really tell.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing...

Mount a female Quick Disconnect adaptor on the car in the console and mount a male Quick Disconnect adaptor on the Serpa holster; Mount the other QD female adaptor on the Serpa's paddle holster and keep that at home. Here's the idea... When I'm driving, I'll holster the gun on the Serpa in the console, when I get off the car, I'll put the gun on the sleeve and wear it. When I go to the range, I'll bring the paddle part along with the mag pouch and wear that openly since it's ok and it's very comfortable.

So basically, I bought me a very "expensive" car holster and a very cheap nylon sleeve. But hey, it seems like it could work, right?

Speaking of the IWB "sleeve" types of holsters, are there any other better (but still a sleeve) brands to look at?

vmann
06-21-2011, 21:46
yea, you could have spent 30 bucks for a fobus, but then you wouldnt beable to draw the damn thing when you need it...i have the fobus paddle, and its such a piece of crap, you have to fight with the damn thing just to get your pistol out of it...

work with the cqc a bit as far as positioning...with the belt look attachment, i can conceal mine pretty good with a tshirt....

DURBANS
06-21-2011, 21:50
yea, you could have spent 30 bucks for a fobus, but then you wouldnt beable to draw the damn thing when you need it...i have the fobus paddle, and its such a piece of crap, you have to fight with the damn thing just to get your pistol out of it...

work with the cqc a bit as far as positioning...with the belt look attachment, i can conceal mine pretty good with a tshirt....

I tried the belt loop attachment a few minutes again, and it still protrudes quite a bit, but then again, it might just be my body. What are your "body specs"? Like I said, I'm 6'1 and kind of fat hehe, about 210 pounds. I've tried it in the SOB position, side position and front position, and you can see it easily. Where do you wear it?

cowboy1964
06-21-2011, 23:15
The Glock Sport holster is the tightest OWB holster. I have one but don't really use it as I usually go the IWB route.

cadillacguns
06-22-2011, 02:48
I am a Fobus fan, ITEC is another inexpensive company that works for me, ever try "mexican carry", I am 6'3 285 and smooshing my G-23 between my right side and the inside of my jeans under a stiff belt works for me. My plastic paddles are for range use nowadays.

21Carrier
06-22-2011, 04:35
They are great holsters, but no good for concealment. I only use mine for two purposes: range use, and it sits on the back of my passenger seat as a car holster. My friend makes due with one, but it is OBVIOUS that he is wearing a gun, especially being at the 3 o'clock position. You need an IWB (inside waistband) holster for concealed carry.

If you want a cheap holster that is AWESOME, get a Don Hume H715M W.C. I have one that fits both my G29 and G21SF, and I use it every day. It conceals really well in any position, it is easy and fast to clip/unclip, it is SMALL, it's leather, well made, perfect. One of my favorite things about this holster is that when I unclip it from my belt, I have a nice, neat little package keeping the gun/trigger safe (instead of having some monstrous thing twice the size of my gun). I can lay it on my bed without worrying about my dog jumping on it and hitting the trigger. Also, it only has one thick clip. Two clips seem like they are unnecessary and would be annoying to clip on/off. NICE holster. Mine was $27 locally.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/photo-15.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/photo-14.jpg

vmann
06-22-2011, 07:09
what pistol are you using it for...i can conceal my 27 without any mag/pinky extensons, but as soon as i put my 23 in there, i cant conceal it...

Bill Lumberg
06-22-2011, 10:35
Avoid Uncle Mikes, FOBUS, or any "single clip" style holster if at all possible. None perform adequately. The serpa is a quality mid-grade holster, safe and stable. But as posted ad nauseum, they aren't great for concealment. If you're looking for flat minimalist concealment, look at the glock sport holster. Hey guys,

Thanks!

DURBANS
06-22-2011, 19:24
Could some of you who are able to conceal this thing be kind enough to post some pictures of you wearing it so I can see how you wear it and why it won't conceal on my body? I'd REALLY appreciate it!

Thanks!!

SidRon
06-22-2011, 20:22
I conceal carry a Glock 17 in a Serpa every day. I usually wear Dickies workshirts one size larger than my normal size and it conceals just fine. Yes you have to wear certain types of shirts to properly conceal the holster but the advantage is that you will have a retention holster that is positioned for you to get a good grip and quick draw compared to other deeper carry options.

DURBANS
06-22-2011, 20:29
I conceal carry a Glock 17 in a Serpa every day. I usually wear Dickies workshirts one size larger than my normal size and it conceals just fine. Yes you have to wear certain types of shirts to properly conceal the holster but the advantage is that you will have a retention holster that is positioned for you to get a good grip and quick draw compared to other deeper carry options.

I agree, but I'd really like to see it on someone so I can better "understand" how to place it, could u take a picture?

DURBANS
06-23-2011, 10:44
bump...

jim goose
06-23-2011, 13:18
Sorry I know how ridiculous the Peruvian customs are.. but the Serpa will always stick out. You need a form fitting leather pankake holster from DeSantis for all day carry. I have an IWB tagua like the Don HUme above, its great, but only if your not stting up and down all the time. I will also second the glock holsters. Stupid simple and cheap, but they work. Check glockmeister.

How long did it take for you to get a permit in Peru? I go there quite often for agriculture, and most people are carrying. Lima late at night is spooky, but the police worry me as much as the banditos.

HK Dan
06-23-2011, 16:52
Echo. Bad carry holster, BUT--with the QD kit you have a wide range of options. I made a plexiglass plate to slide between my mattress and box spring, melted it down at a 90 degree angle, and mounted a QD on that. Presto, I have a holster on my bed. I mounted another one inside the center console of my truck--shazam! I have a holster in there now. That QD kit is good gear...just not for carry.

DURBANS
06-23-2011, 20:55
Echo. Bad carry holster, BUT--with the QD kit you have a wide range of options. I made a plexiglass plate to slide between my mattress and box spring, melted it down at a 90 degree angle, and mounted a QD on that. Presto, I have a holster on my bed. I mounted another one inside the center console of my truck--shazam! I have a holster in there now. That QD kit is good gear...just not for carry.

That's what I'm thinking too. I just don't feel right about spending that much money (it was pretty expensive to get to Peru) and just use it as a car holster and then use a cheap nylon Uncle Mike's IWB sleeve as my carry holster. Is there a high quality nylon IWB sleeve available other than UM's? I like softness of the nylon.

I'd like to see a picture of someone actually concealing a Serpa. It's pretty damn hard for me, even harder with the QD kit installed.

CrackerKen
06-23-2011, 21:44
All the detective at the FL Division of Insurance Fraud use the Serpa's for their Glocks. They hide under a sport coat. I know most of us don't run around wearing sport coats, so that doesn't matter much. I could conceal one under a loose sport shirt.

There is a holster called the Remora holster. That might help out Durbans. Here's a link to it:

http://www.remoraholsters.com/

I've been thinking about getting me one of these Remora holsters, with the sweat shield option. I've not read anything negative about them anywhere.

Jigganuts
06-23-2011, 22:45
I have a Serpa and it is impossible to conceal unless I am wearing a sport coat or large outer garment.

DURBANS
06-24-2011, 12:50
All the detective at the FL Division of Insurance Fraud use the Serpa's for their Glocks. They hide under a sport coat. I know most of us don't run around wearing sport coats, so that doesn't matter much. I could conceal one under a loose sport shirt.

There is a holster called the Remora holster. That might help out Durbans. Here's a link to it:

http://www.remoraholsters.com/

I've been thinking about getting me one of these Remora holsters, with the sweat shield option. I've not read anything negative about them anywhere.

They sound great... I wonder what the INSIDE is made of? I hope it's made of the same soft nylon material my Uncle Mike's sleeve is made of! If it is, I'm ordering one right now. I hope they send to Peru.

up1911fan
06-24-2011, 13:00
Agreed, i'm also not a fan of the retention design. Safariland and Blade Tech have better options if you need a level II or more.

RyanNREMTP
06-24-2011, 15:24
Here's one I just took of me with a G27 in a Sherpa that I wear at the 9 o'clock position.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj172/RyanNREMTP/100_3126.jpg

Here's one with the shirt pulled up to see the holster. I do wear it at the forward cant to reduce the profile.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj172/RyanNREMTP/100_3127.jpg

TangoFoxtrot
06-24-2011, 15:36
The Serpa is great as a "winter" or "Fall" carry holster but in the warmer months I use my MTAC.

Bill Lumberg
06-26-2011, 07:54
The 27 isn't deep enough to need forward cant unless you're so thin you're transparent. If it makes you feel better, rock on.