9mm,40 s&w,.45 acp ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9mm,40 s&w,.45 acp ammo

dvrdwn72
06-20-2011, 18:33
What ammo would be most effective as a sd round for each, say a ccw with a 4" avg. barrel? I know alot of it is marketing, but what seems to be proven? Provided that the shots were well placed. Thanks,

Mas Ayoob
06-20-2011, 21:30
They're all "proven," one way or the other. Rounds like 158 grain .38 Special round nose lead were "proven" in collective institutional memory to be lethal -- as any gunshot wound can be -- but not reliable in terms of quickly neutralizing an opposing threat. Rounds like the 125 grain .357 Magnum semi-jacket hollow point at high velocity were "proven" in the same way to be much more effective in that regard, shot for shot.

Budget a few hours (or maybe a day or more) of your life to peruse the Caliber Corner section of Glock Talk and see what a contentious topic this is. One thing you'll find is that everyone on either side agrees that the most important thing is shot placement.

For my recommendations on loads for given calibers, a few more minutes in this corner of GATE will bring that up for you.

In the end, your choice of ammunition will never be higher than fourth on your list of priorities for surviving a violent encounter that can be resolved with defensive gunfire. Higher on the list will be mental preparedness and awareness, proper use of tactics, and skill with whatever you have at hand to defend yourself and others against the threat.

best,
Mas

dvrdwn72
06-21-2011, 10:53
Thanks Mas, I will lurk around caliber corner some more. I have been competeing in uspsa,idpa, and a few others centered around self defensefor quite some time now. I love my .40's and have become quite acurate in the past few months, so I feel quite confident. I do wonder about actual ballistic wounds, over/under penitration, etc. I will lurk around and do some reasearch and testing. Thanks again,,