Rock River Arms AR-15 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rock River Arms AR-15

mgentry
06-20-2011, 19:20
After researching the features I want in an AR-15, I have decided to buy a Rock River Arms Tactical Operator 2 AR-15 (one of the specials Rock River is offering right now). I would love to hear from any of you that have or had one. Thanks!

Captains1911
06-20-2011, 19:23
better rifles are available for the money

John 30
06-20-2011, 20:16
I have had my Operator 2 for 3 months. It is the only AR I have ever had. I do not know much about AR's but some of the guys I shoot with have gone over it and 3 of them said that it is as good as the ones they spent 1500 and 1600 for.
I have put about 600 rounds down range and it shoots very well.
As with all of my rifles I cleaned them after 5 rounds till I had shot 100 rounds. I think that helps make a good shooter a GREAT shooter.
Have fun, shoot it and make up your own mind about your rifle.

STI
06-20-2011, 20:21
I have 1 that I got a few months ago, I could not be more pleased with it, I carry it every day with me and usually shot daily, I have a cattle ranch, it runs 100% any ammo fed to it, very accurate also, I mounted an EOTech on it and thats all, I could not be more pleased with it, I like it better than my Colt 2 to 1. I shot 2 coyotes with it before dark tonight, a 3 gun match last weekend and flawless performance. To test it I put a 36x BR scope on it and it will shoot under an inch at 100 yds 5 shot groups. I know others bash everything but so be it, mine works and I would buy another in a minute. It has served me well so far. 4 of my friends have them and not 1 problem at all.

powderhead
06-20-2011, 20:28
I have a Rock River. I don't think you can get a better gun for the money.

mgentry
06-20-2011, 20:42
Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better about my new AR.

Captains1911
06-20-2011, 20:46
I have a Rock River. I don't think you can get a better gun for the money.

:whistling:

bmoore
06-20-2011, 20:54
better rifles are available for the money

This is helpful..........such as?

bmoore
06-20-2011, 20:54
OP, my friend has a RRA AR and it has been a rock solid gun for him.

Captains1911
06-20-2011, 20:55
This is helpful..........such as?

im not going there, all i can say is do your homework

bmoore
06-20-2011, 20:59
im not going there, all i can say is do your homework

LOL:rofl: Show me a 1,000 dollar gun with that many upgrades on it, and Im not talking about Olympic arms with a 49 dollar lower on it. Free shipping, free rear site options, chrome bolt carrier group, free float quad rail, 2 stage RRA trigger, ergo grip, two 30 round mags, RRA operator stock.............YOU need to do your homework and go to RRA website and check out the gun before you make a fool of yourself.

mjkeat
06-20-2011, 21:00
After researching the features I want in an AR-15, I have decided to buy a Rock River Arms Tactical Operator 2 AR-15 (one of the specials Rock River is offering right now). I would love to hear from any of you that have or had one. Thanks!

So you are looking for a "product review" on something you have already purchased?

mjkeat
06-20-2011, 21:01
LOL:rofl: Show me a 1,000 dollar gun with that many upgrades on it. YOU need to do your homework go to RRA website and check out the gun before you make a fool of yourself.

What does furniture upgrades have to do w/ the quality of the rifle?

bmoore
06-20-2011, 21:06
What does furniture upgrades have to do w/ the quality of the rifle?

Not much except they all cost a significent amount of money. RRA makes a quality rifle. The OP is not a SEAL, RRA makes a fine gun for civilians who are not power mall ninjas.

STI
06-20-2011, 21:08
when mine breaks I will fix it, my Colt has had 3 barrels, extractor, cam pin in its life, and will not shoot anywhere close to the RR, never would.

bmoore
06-20-2011, 21:09
Not everything has to be LMT, Noveske or HK416's. Not everybody plays tactical operator dress up in their living room.

Captains1911
06-20-2011, 21:14
Not everything has to be LMT, Noveske or HK416's. Not everybody plays tactical operator dress up in their living room.

Funny you say that considering the name of the specific model in question....

trifecta
06-20-2011, 21:14
Not everybody plays tactical operator dress up in their living room.

Are you sure? I think a lot of people on here might.

STI
06-20-2011, 21:16
So very true, some people came to the 3 gun match with everything but face paint on, it was a joke to look at really-- some beat me some did not, side note a S&W M&P were the only one that had trouble, not sure what kind of problem, I heard that he got the lanyard string from his tactical knife in it somehow, I dont really know. But they did look good!!
His video glasses were real nice to.

bmoore
06-20-2011, 21:17
OP- the rifle you are looking at looks like a fine firearm. If you like the way it comes then snag that thing. That gun for 1,000 dollars seems like a very good deal. It will last you quite a while. Dont let these guys talk you into needing a 649 dollar surefire light mount vert grip for it.

STI
06-20-2011, 21:18
get it and enjoy it!

bmoore
06-20-2011, 21:20
So very true, some people came to the 3 gun match with everything but face paint on, it was a joke to look at really-- some beat me some did not, side note a S&W M&P were the only one that had trouble, not sure what kind of problem, I heard that he got the lanyard string from his tactical knife in it somehow, I dont really know. But they did look good!!
His video glasses were real nice to.

OMG have you seen youtube lately? Everybody has their 4,000 dollar AR's with a tactical vest on, 1911 on their hip doing doubletaps and reloads. I would love to shoot some Texas yotes! My Smith M&P15 has been flawless through 2,000. Just regular cleaning, grease and oil. No tactical SEAL operator lube needed.

Captains1911
06-20-2011, 21:23
OP- the rifle you are looking at looks like a fine firearm. If you like the way it comes then snag that thing. That gun for 1,000 dollars seems like a very good deal. It will last you quite a while. Dont let these guys talk you into needing a 649 dollar surefire light mount vert grip for it.

I don't think anybody here has suggested that, and this is the same bs card people always try and pull when these types of discussions arise. The fact of the matter is there are rifles of varying degrees of quality all in the same price range. So whether you "need" the better rifle or not, what sense does it make to spend your money on the lower quality product when you could have better without spending more?

mjkeat
06-20-2011, 21:29
Not much except they all cost a significent amount of money. RRA makes a quality rifle. The OP is not a SEAL, RRA makes a fine gun for civilians who are not power mall ninjas.

You have very valid points. I too believe RRA makes a solid AR. A guy on this forum, who I put a lot of weight behind likes RRA. I have nothing against RRA in the slightest. I just didnt like you jumping on someone for speaking the truth. And I thought it odd that the OP would ask a question like that about a rifle he already owns.

Id quickly give up a ninja stock and HG for a F/A BCG and midlength gas system.

However, though I like a good looking rifle the furniture is last on my list.
I have never heard of a power mall. Is that where those old people go to power walk. I would like to be a ninja, like a whole lot.

Last, if they make "a fine gun for civilians who are not power mall ninjas" why do they give their rifles "power mall ninja" names? Sounds to me that they are marketing this rifle to the "power mall ninja" "tactical operator dress up in their living room" crowd. Just an observation.

Dont defend a commercial rifle w/ a name like it has w/ the worn out mall ninja defence.

bmoore
06-20-2011, 21:31
I don't think anybody here has suggested that, and this is the same bs card people always try and pull when these types of discussions arise. The fact of the matter is there are rifles of varying degrees of quality all in the same price range. So whether you "need" the better rifle or not, what sense does it make to spend your money on the lower quality product when you could have better without spending more?

Then bring something to the table and help the guy out with some of your vast knowledge. Don't drop the "better rifles out there" with no evidence. Offer some of them up, not "oh I'm not gonna go there". Maybe try to help the guy.

mjkeat
06-20-2011, 21:33

From this post it looks to me like he has already purchased the rifle. Odd to ask for a review of an item you have already purchased.

bmoore
06-20-2011, 21:35
You have very valid points. I too believe RRA makes a solid AR. A guy on this forum, who I put a lot of weight behind likes RRA. I have nothing against RRA in the slightest. I just didnt like you jumping on someone for speaking the truth. And I thought it odd that the OP would ask a question like that about a rifle he already owns.

Id quickly give up a ninja stock and HG for a F/A BCG and midlength gas system.

However, though I like a good looking rifle the furniture is last on my list.
I have never heard of a power mall. Is that where those old people go to power walk. I would like to be a ninja, like a whole lot.

Last, if they make "a fine gun for civilians who are not power mall ninjas" why do they give their rifles "power mall ninja" names? Sounds to me that they are marketing this rifle to the "power mall ninja" "tactical operator dress up in their living room" crowd. Just an observation.

Dont defend a commercial rifle w/ a name like it has w/ the worn out mall ninja defence.

Im gonna go ahead and guess that they come up with those names because they may be in the business of...........making money? Maybe they have a marketing dept? That rifle doesnt have a whole lot of junk hanging off it.

mjkeat
06-20-2011, 21:36
Then bring something to the table an help the guy out with some of your vast knowledge. Don't drop the "better rifles out there" with no evidence. Offer some of them up, not "oh I'm not gonna go there".

Once again I feel RRA is a good AR there however is plenty of data on this site as well as others that the OP could have read. Research would prevent threads like this from becoming threads like this.

bmoore
06-20-2011, 21:38
That post wasnt intended for you mjkeat, sorry.

mjkeat
06-20-2011, 21:40
Im gonna go ahead and guess that they come up with those names because they may be in the business of...........making money? Maybe they have a marketing dept? That rifle doesnt have a whole lot of junk hanging off it.

Do you not see the contradiction and silliness in naming the rifle what they did?

I have no problem w/ making money. I have no problem w/ them naming the rifle what they did. The problem comes from you going off on the mall ninja, not everyone plays operator in their house rant when the rifle is marketed to that crowd. Do you see what I'm talking about?

brausso
06-20-2011, 21:41
Good stuff. I hope you enjoy your rifle. Don't listen to the knuckle heads telling you how much better other rifles are. The only thing that matters is it works for your needs and you're happy with your purchase.

bmoore
06-20-2011, 21:44
It's getting old on this site, a guy comes on looking for advice and he's met with zero help except "better rifles for the money" that's all I'm gonna say cause I'm just too cool to say anymore. Were here to help each other not say "do your homework" that's why he's asking us!!!!!! Were here to help people out, if there's a better rifle for 1,000 bucks then help the guy out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mjkeat
06-20-2011, 21:49
It's getting old on this site, a guy comes on looking for advice and he's met with zero help except "better rifles for the money" that's all I'm gonna say cause I'm just too cool to say anymore. Were here to help each other not say "do your homework" that's why he's asking us!!!!!! Were here to help people out, if there's a better rifle for 1,000 bucks then help the guy out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree w/ you but he wasn't asking for advise he was asking for acceptance on a purchase he had already made. Read his first two posts. The second says "my rifle" which would lead one to the conclusion he owns it, as in he has already purchased it.

bmoore
06-20-2011, 21:58
I understand your point. However, his first post gave no lead that he already bought it, and it was his first post that was met with "better rifles for the money".

racer88
06-20-2011, 21:58
Here's my non-expert opinion. Buy the gun you want... and then shoot the crap out of it! Enjoy it! If you later decide there's something better out there that you'd prefer... buy that one, then. But, you've gotta start somewhere. There will always be critics of EVERY brand / make.

Buy it. Shoot it. Enjoy it.

pleaforwar
06-20-2011, 21:59
Then bring something to the table and help the guy out with some of your vast knowledge. Don't drop the "better rifles out there" with no evidence. Offer some of them up, not "oh I'm not gonna go there". Maybe try to help the guy.

I'll throw out some personal experience here, and I would appreciate it if you can keep an open mind. I have no dog in this fight, and only offer personal experience.

The one time I have ran across a RRA through considerable use was during a LMS Defense carbine course a few months ago. It had to be taken off the line on the first day. The rifle experienced several failure-to-feeds and also had failure-to-eject issues. A very small sample size, I recognize that. That being said, I overheard a well-known instructor of LEO's and .mil types describing RRA's as 5k round rifles. He sees a lot more than myself and has a much more experience to reach his conclusion.

I'm not going to say a RRA is a crap rifle, because it isn't. I believe there are better options, but it's past that point. What we can talk about is what the OP can do to ensure his rifle will last long and make him happy.

1) Take a look at the gas key and make sure the screws are properly staked. This is something that can easily affect active or recreational shooters. If the staking looks weak, see if you can find a local smith with a MOACKS tool to rectify the issue.

2) Look at the castle nut and endplate. Is it staked? This is another issue that can affect active and recreational shooters. Some may argue this, but I have seen it affect both types of shooters.

3) Use quality magazines. Crappy mags are typically considered to be the biggest contributors to AR malfunctions. PMags, L5's, new gen ARC mags, and quality aluminum mags are all good choices. They ARE expendable. If a mag craps out on you rebuild it or buy a new one. I have seen all types of magazines crap out over time.

4) Use good lubrication. I don't care if it is some highspeed SEAL lube (whatever that is) or your favorite motor oil. Use what works on your rifle. I personally stay away from CLP and Remoil, I love MPRO7 LPX and Slip EWL.

5) Buffers. I recommend you use an H buffer, or even consider switching over to the VLTOR A5 configuration. The H buffer by itself is a cheap upgrade that works better with the carbine configuration.

Take it for with it's worth, I hope your rifle makes you happy.

pleaforwar
06-20-2011, 22:14
N/M, had the models mixed up.

spinweezy
06-20-2011, 22:31
I understand your point. However, his first post gave no lead that he already bought it, and it was his first post that was met with "better rifles for the money".

I think your good intentions got a little skewed.I hope the op enjoys his rra. I hope you dont get discouraged from helping others. My friend shoots a rra operator and it fires great,never seen it jam. I like it about the same as my sog.

bmoore
06-20-2011, 22:35
I'll throw out some personal experience here, and I would appreciate it if you can keep an open mind. I have no dog in this fight, and only offer personal experience.

The one time I have ran across a RRA through considerable use was during a LMS Defense carbine course a few months ago. It had to be taken off the line on the first day. The rifle experienced several failure-to-feeds and also had failure-to-eject issues. A very small sample size, I recognize that. That being said, I overheard a well-known instructor of LEO's and .mil types describing RRA's as 5k round rifles. He sees a lot more than myself and has a much more experience to reach his conclusion.

I'm not going to say a RRA is a crap rifle, because it isn't. I believe there are better options, but it's past that point. What we can talk about is what the OP can do to ensure his rifle will last long and make him happy.

1) Take a look at the gas key and make sure the screws are properly staked. This is something that can easily affect active or recreational shooters. If the staking looks weak, see if you can find a local smith with a MOACKS tool to rectify the issue.

2) Look at the castle nut and endplate. Is it staked? This is another issue that can affect active and recreational shooters. Some may argue this, but I have seen it affect both types of shooters.

3) Use quality magazines. Crappy mags are typically considered to be the biggest contributors to AR malfunctions. PMags, L5's, new gen ARC mags, and quality aluminum mags are all good choices. They ARE expendable. If a mag craps out on you rebuild it or buy a new one. I have seen all types of magazines crap out over time.

4) Use good lubrication. I don't care if it is some highspeed SEAL lube (whatever that is) or your favorite motor oil. Use what works on your rifle. I personally stay away from CLP and Remoil, I love MPRO7 LPX and Slip EWL.

5) Buffers. I recommend you use an H buffer, or even consider switching over to the VLTOR A5 configuration. The H buffer by itself is a cheap upgrade that works better with the carbine configuration.

I am more than happy to listen to advice like that on any day of the week. Thanks, its nice to hear actual experiences. MPro7 rocks, I run it on my Smith AR. It would be nice to see those stoppages and try to find out why. My friend has a pretty good amount of rounds down his RRA but he maintains the weapon very well and like you said, he runs quality mags.

Captains1911
06-20-2011, 22:43

That's exactly what i wrote, and exactly what I meant. He asked for advice/opinions, and I gave him mine. I'm sure there are many others who agree with me. Why the ___ do people get so butt hurt and bent out of shape around here?

There is a wealth of knowledge and information available, sometimes people need to do their own research rather than expecting to get everything from one thread, hence my "do your homework" comment.

I'm punching out of this one boys and girls, take care.

bmoore
06-20-2011, 22:51
That's exactly what i wrote, and exactly what I meant. He asked for advice/opinions, and I gave him mine. I'm sure there are many others who agree with me. Why the ___ do people get so butt hurt and bent out of shape around here?

Because its irritating as dog !@#$ when instead of saying "hey check out this, this and this gun that will be right in that price range people say "Better guns for the money". Heres the best part, when asked, "name some other guns then" this is what you get "oh im not gonna go there" "oh i dont have the time to do that, do your homework". I cant even tell you how many posts ive read in the past 5 years like this.......example-----"hey guys Im new to revolvers and was thinking about getting BrandX model revolver what do you guys think?" "better revolvers out there". Sweet partner thanks for the help.

TexasPOff
06-21-2011, 00:07

I agree, one other thing about RRA, they advertise the Chrome Moly Barrels, not Chrome lined. Chrome Lining is an option on most of RRA rifles. Not a huge thing, as the Non Chrome Barrel may shoot tighter groups, but the Chrome lined one is a little easier on Maint. I also owned a RRA entry a few years back. Never had an issue with it, in about 4000 rounds before I sold it. TXPO

AaronZR2
06-21-2011, 01:03
If you haven't ordered it yet, consider the Elite Operator 2 instead due to the mid-length gas system.
If you have already ordered it, shoot the crap out of it and know you got a good rifle.

mgentry
06-21-2011, 07:37
First of all, thanks for the comments. I wasn't looking for a product review on something I've already purchased. I haven't purchased anything yet. If there is a better AR out there for around $1,000 - please tell me! I had arrived at the decision point that I was going to get a Rock River and I wanted to know what other individuals/owners thought of this AR. I felt that the Rock River was a good rifle and offered a lot of features that I wanted. To me, factory installed is better than me installing the parts.

M&P15T
06-21-2011, 07:44

I've said it a few times now, and I'm more and more correct every time I log into GT and see more of this **** in this particular forum.

There are a few AR Nerds that think their **** doesn't stink, and they're ruining this forum. Arrogant, rude, demeaning, needing an ass whooping.

Captains1911
06-21-2011, 07:52
I've said it a few times now, and I'm more and more correct every time I log into GT and see more of this **** in this particular forum.

There are a few AR Nerds that think their **** doesn't stink, and they're ruining this forum. Arrogant, rude, demeaning, needing an ass whooping.:steamed:

I find it amazing how upset certain individuals, like yourself, get when they don't agree with other posters. Whether or not people want to accept the facts is one thing, and everybody has the right to disagree, but to get so bent out of shape at the same time is comical.

M&P15T
06-21-2011, 08:01
I find it amazing how upset certain individuals, like yourself, get when they don't agree with other posters. Whether or not people want to accept the facts is one thing, and everybody has the right to disagree, but to get so bent out of shape at the same time is comical.

:rofl::rofl:

You're like, what, 0 for 5 in this thread? Your responses demonstrate that you don't take the time to understand what others are communicating, a lack of comprehension.

I have neither offered opinions or discussed other posts, much less disagreed with any. It's not about facts, or agreeing or not, it's about being rude and demeaning.....like I just was with you. Not real nice is it? Doesn't make this forum friendly and inviting does it?

You may believe you know ARs, but what you don't know is people. And you're one of several that ruin this forum because you're an AR equivalant of a PETA memeber, you value and understand ARs more than you do people. Just to help you out, because it's obvious that communication is not one of your better skills, telling people to "do their home work" is nasty, rude, demeaning, condescending, etc.

Captains1911
06-21-2011, 08:11
:rofl::rofl:

You're like, what, 0 for 5 in this thread? Your responses demonstrate that you don't take the time to understand what others are communicating, a lack of comprehension.

I have neither offered, disagreed with, or discussed other posts, much less disagreed with any. It's not about facts, or agreeing or not, it's about being rude and demeaning.....like I just was with you. Not real nice is it? Doesn't make this forum friendly and inviting does it?

You may believe you know ARs, but what you don't know is people. And you're one of several that ruin this forum because you're an AR equivalant of a PETA memeber, you value and understand ARs more than you do people. Just to help you out, because it's obvious that communication is not one of your better skills, telling people to "do their home work" is nasty, rude, demeaning, condescending, etc.

First off, you don't know know me from Adam. Second, it's somewhat ironic that you accuse me of not knowing people, but look at how upset you are. My first post in this thread was "there are better rifles for the money." I believe that to be 100% true. How is that in any way being rude? The OP asked for an opinion, and I gave him mine. So because i didn't write a follow thesis to that statement makes me a rude person? There are 1000s of threads and other resources out there on this topic, why does the same info have to be regurgitated over and over? That's all I meant by "do your homework." If that upsets you then I think you need to grow some thicker skin.

M&P15T
06-21-2011, 08:13
First off, you don't know know me from Adam. Second, it's somewhat ironic that you accuse me of not knowing people, but look at how upset you are. My first post in this thread was "there are better rifles for the money." I believe that to be 100% true. How is that in any way being rude? The OP asked for an opinion, and I gave him mine. So because i didn't write a follow thesis to that statement makes me a rude person? There are 1000s of threads and other resources out there on this topic, why does the same info have to be regurgitated over and over? That's all I meant by "do your homework." If that upsets you then I think you need to grow some thicker skin.

O.k. dude, whatever you say. You're right, it's all good.:faint:

STI
06-21-2011, 08:18
I went through the same thing here when I asked too, I read here that my RR was a 5000 round gun so in 2 more months I guess I will either be replacing it or have to send it back for repairs which I really doubt, I could not be more pleased with it, I bet mine is used more than most and still shoots great, I had a chance to get 1 in a week waiting time or order one and wait for ??? long. I went to the match shooters at our club and asked them their opinions, they shoot 1000's of rounds and all said get a RR and enjoy it, with a lifetime warranty thrown in to boot. If its what you like get it, I dont have stuff hanging off it just an EOTech not even a sling as all that gets in my way for my intended use, longest shot so far is a coyote at 288 yds from my patio table. If you wish PM me and I will answer any questions you may have, I had an FN for 4 yrs and this RR is more accurate by far, I have proved that, no problems with either.
Opinions are always welcomed and everybody has one, some are more tactful than others and helpful some are meant just to irritate, that will never change.

pleaforwar
06-21-2011, 09:08
First of all, thanks for the comments. I wasn't looking for a product review on something I've already purchased. I haven't purchased anything yet. If there is a better AR out there for around $1,000 - please tell me! I had arrived at the decision point that I was going to get a Rock River and I wanted to know what other individuals/owners thought of this AR. I felt that the Rock River was a good rifle and offered a lot of features that I wanted. To me, factory installed is better than me installing the parts.

Like I said before, RRA are not crap rifles. Hell, if I were looking for a 20+" varmint rifle, I would look hard at some of their rifles. That being considered, I wouldn't want one in the carbine configuration you desire.

You can buy a Colt Sporter 6920 shipped from Bud's for $1036. They are out of stock and you will have to boot the FFL fee, but IMO it is well worth it. If you don't like it, keep in mind Colts hold their value very well.

Smith and Wesson is a brand whose rifles can be found under $1k pretty easily. I won't put them up to the level of Colt, but I have seen them run pretty hard and they do well.

You can also pick up a Spike's Tactical rifle for <$1k.

glock031
06-21-2011, 11:15
Pleaforwar gets it. It's good to see someone with experience being helpful without the condescending attitude. That makes for a good forum.

mjkeat
06-21-2011, 11:42

Just so I have the full story, if you haven't purchased the rifle why did you make your 2nd post in this thread (posted above for accuracy)?

And to answer your question RRA makes a decent rifle. For your 1k price range there are some better options if you are willing to be patient. Daniel Defense is running a "custom build" program through www.smartgunner.com (http://www.smartgunner.com) as we speak. BCM has a great following w/ the "hard use" crowd. You can also check into Spikes Tactical.

I forgot Colt, LMT, and S&W

M&P15T
06-21-2011, 11:48
Just so I have the full story, if you haven't purchased the rifle why did you make your 2nd post in this thread (posted above for accuracy)?

And to answer your question RRA makes a decent rifle. For your 1k price range there are some better options if you are willing to be patient. Daniel Defense is running a "custom build" program through www.smartgunner.com (http://www.smartgunner.com) as we speak. BCM has a great following w/ the "hard use" crowd. You can also check into Spikes Tactical.

I forgot Colt, LMT, and S&W

Now that's a nice reply buddy.:supergrin: By the by, perhaps what the OP meant was that, after reading replies here in this thread, he had solidified his purchasing decision?

I too would reccomend BCM, but they have some wait times for almost all of their uppers. For the average shooter, while BCM is a great value, it has features that aren't really necessary. An interesting exercise is to take a competitors rifle and specs, and then jump over to BCM's website, and come as close to duplicating those specs as possible. With my S&W M&P15T, there was a considerable price difference ($270.00, with many parts not in stock.)

mjkeat
06-21-2011, 12:00
Now that's a nice reply buddy.:supergrin: By the by, perhaps what the OP meant was that, after reading replies here in this thread, he had solidified his purchasing decision?

I too would reccomend BCM, but they have some wait times for almost all of their uppers. For the average shooter, while BCM is a great value, it has features that aren't really necessary. An interesting exercise is to take a competitors rifle and specs, and then jump over to BCM's website, and come as close to duplicating those specs as possible. With my S&W M&P15T, there was a considerable price difference.

The 2 or 3 replies he recieved in the hour between his first 2 posts?

You can purchase a new BCM upper and lower for under $900.

M&P15T
06-21-2011, 12:04
The 2 or 3 replies he recieved in the hour between his first 2 posts?

You can purchase a new BCM upper and lower for under $900.

I don't think that I have properly communicated my point about BCM.

Yes, you can certainly build an excellent, quality, bare bones AR from BCM for $900.00, and you can also build any other type of AR you want, but you'll pay the premium. Like I said with my S&W M&P15T, to build a duplicate from BCM's offerings, it's $270.00 more expensive, and 1/3 of the stuff is out of stock.

For the OP, he can purchase his rifle for around $925.00, but to build a similar one with BCM, I'd guess it'd be around $1300-1400. That's not an inconsequential price difference.

Yes, you get what you pay for, and BCM has certain aspects in which it is a higher quality rifle, but not a 30-45% better rifle for the average shooters needs. The average shooter is not going to notice any difference between the RRA rifle and the BCM rifle.

HAIL CAESAR
06-21-2011, 12:26
OP,
Get the rifle if you want it. It will likely serve you fine as you are not going to war like half of the people here dream about. If it does not serve you well then you will know what to look for for your next rifle.

Don't let a tactical college kid do your thinking for you.

Captains1911
06-21-2011, 12:34

Yes, you can certainly build an excellent, quality, bare bones AR from BCM for $900.00, and you can also build any other type of AR you want, but you'll pay the premium. Like I said with my S&W M&P15T, to build a duplicate from BCM's offerings, it's $270.00 more expensive, and 1/3 of the stuff is out of stock.

For the OP, he can purchase his rifle for around $925.00, but to build a similar one with BCM, I'd guess it'd be around $1300-1400. That's not an inconsequential price difference.

Yes, you get what you pay for, and BCM has certain aspects in which it is a higher quality rifle, but not a 30-45% better rifle for the average shooters needs. The average shooter is not going to notice any difference between the RRA rifle and the BCM rifle.

I'm an average shooter, and certainly notice a difference. Of the two RRAs I've owned, I had problems with both. Of the 2 BCMs I currently own, not a problem with either. And guess what, the BCMs cost me less than the RRAs.

M&P15T
06-21-2011, 12:41
I'm an average shooter, and certainly notice a difference. Of the two RRAs I've owned, I had problems with both. Of the 2 BCMs I currently own, not a problem with either. And guess what, the BCMs cost me less than the RRAs.

I can understand that you've had bad experiences with your two RRAs, but if you hadn't, the two rifles would work the same for you. And, again, you have to compare apples to apples. BCM is more expensive apples to apples, as far as stocks, rails, panels etc. go.

I'm not hating on BCM, I'm a big fan. But everyone tries to say "you can get a BCM for the same/less money", and that isn't true. If you don't believe me, print up the specs on a RRA Tac Op 2, then go to BCMs web site, and duplicate it as closely as possible. BCM is a more expensive product, as well it should be.....it's a higher quality product.

pleaforwar
06-21-2011, 12:47
Pleaforwar gets it. It's good to see someone with experience being helpful without the condescending attitude. That makes for a good forum.

Thanks for the kind words, but I am just a tadpole in the ocean compared to others out there.

Captains1911: do you mind sharing your issues with your RRA rifles with us?

mjkeat
06-21-2011, 12:59

I don't think you quite understand the difference b/w a Spikes or BCM and rifles similar to the AR at the center of this discussion.

For me, though annoying, the quality and value are worth waiting for.

mjkeat
06-21-2011, 13:03
OP,
Get the rifle if you want it. It will likely serve you fine as you are not going to war like half of the people here dream about. If it does not serve you well then you will know what to look for for your next rifle.

Don't let a tactical college kid do your thinking for you.

So you suggest the OP pass up a rifle of lower cost and greater specs for a more expensive rifle w/ lower quality specs?

M&P15T
06-21-2011, 13:05
I don't think you quite understand the difference b/w a Spikes or BCM and rifles similar to the AR at the center of this discussion.

For me, though annoying, the quality and value are worth waiting for.

Yes, yes I do understand the quality differences.

I don't think you understand that quality is the center of the issue for you, and value is the center of the issue for most shooters. Quality and value are two completely different things. Take a moment to consider that others don't see things the same way as you do, and that neither point is right or wrong.

M&P15T
06-21-2011, 13:06
So you suggest the OP pass up a rifle of lower cost and greater specs for a more expensive rifle w/ lower quality specs?

Nevermind.............

HAIL CAESAR
06-21-2011, 13:07

I suggest he buy the rifle he wants and that he shoot the tar out of it. If he doesn't like it then he can buy something else. Likely he will never have a issue (as long as he doesn't get a RRA 2 stage trigger) and will ride happily into the sunset with it.

pleaforwar
06-21-2011, 13:15
The model being discussed comes with the two-stage.

Look guys, the op needs to figure out what is more important to him. If he has to have the rail, stock, etc, over the quality BCM and the like offers, that's his perogative. I disagree with it, but it's his wallet.

mjkeat
06-21-2011, 13:21
nevermind....

refer to the post above.

HAIL CAESAR
06-21-2011, 13:24
The model being discussed comes with the two-stage.

Look guys, the op needs to figure out what is more important to him. If he has to have the rail, stock, etc, over the quality BCM and the like offers, that's his perogative. I disagree with it, but it's his wallet.

Well if that rifle comes with a RRA 2 stage the OP must be aware that the trigger will likely give up the ghost some where between 500 and 4,000 rounds. I didn't even know they would last 4k but a poster here just said his lasted 4 thousand rounds.....but I have never seen one go that far.

Your right, it is his wallet and the rifle he wants. I, like you, think it up to him to decide. I still think he would be fine with that rifle....till the trigger goes kaput. But then he can get the trigger he wants whether it be a Mil-Spec or a high quality 2 stage.

If somebody insists that the OP buy another gun that strongly maybe they will buy that gun for the OP.

STI
06-21-2011, 13:49
Well I am up to 3000+ in the 3 months I have had mine, the trigger is just as it was when I got it, so what should I look for in signs that it is going out? I guess in about another month I am going to find out what kind of service RR has and the wait time to repair it.

Captains1911
06-21-2011, 13:59
Thanks for the kind words, but I am just a tadpole in the ocean compared to others out there.

Captains1911: do you mind sharing your issues with your RRA rifles with us?

1. Roll pin connecting buffer end cap to buffer body worked loose and began snagging on the buffer spring. I caught it early but if left alone it probably wold have caused a malfunction either by the buffer assembly falling apart or the spring wearing excessively.

2. Out of spec chamber would constantly blow 5.56 primers. Had to ream the chamber for the rifle to function reliably.

pleaforwar
06-21-2011, 23:00
Thanks for the response Captains1911. I wouldn't be too happy under either circumstance.

Foxtrotx1
06-21-2011, 23:18
At least the buffer was a simple part swap. But lemons are no good either way.

johns961
06-23-2011, 13:09
I have a RRA lower on a aero percission upper. The trigger has been nice and crisp and I have not had any issues. The only thing I did not like about the lower was the rubber grips. I removed them and put on something else. But, grips are like shoes. Everybody is different.

John!

STI
06-23-2011, 15:40
Well CPT 1911 mine's still trucking, another 200 rounds today, had a ball in the bottomland after the storm and rain, I will seek some advice from you whats the most inexpensive way to get some maginafication for my EOTech?
Trigger fine so far here.

Shasta McNasty
06-23-2011, 15:58
i noticed someone mentioned the 2 stage RRA trigger reliability as being an issue. can anyone expand on that? thanx

the ugly
06-23-2011, 21:14
I have a Rock River CAR-4 with an EoTec.
Love the rifle, great trigger, great gun!
Go get you one!

Gitty up!!