dpms armorers tool sucks! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : dpms armorers tool sucks!

cfec2008
06-20-2011, 22:46
I know that some people use this tool, and say that if you break the pins of its becaue you must have put way to much torque on it while putting on the free float tubes. bla bla. Well i broke one last thursday night. So, I figured it was my fault and didnt call dpms. I just ordered another one that night from Bravo Company. I got it in today and used it to torque my barrel to 64 pounds and the pins didnt break but they did bend. Please do yourself a favor and find a more heavy duty tool to use. My first cousin is a machinist and drilled out the pin and replaced it with a new one. He guaranteed me that it would never break. If anyone is interested in a free float tool that is guaranteed to never break let me know. Im going to try to get him to make some and send them out to some people to try out.

surf
06-21-2011, 02:36
The pin on the DPMS tool that you are breaking is meant for castle nut installation and removal. The amount of torque necessary on the castle nut is generally considerably less than on a barrel nut. Max torque on the castle nut = 32 ftlbs. Your torque on the barrel nut = 64 ftlbs. You do the math.

The tool does what it is designed to do. The pin is for the castle nut. The rounded end with the ridges is for stock USGI type barrel nuts. It is indeed your fault and not the fault of the tool itself. Wrong tool for the job. On the upside your cousin upgraded the tool.

faawrenchbndr
06-21-2011, 04:14
The pin on the DPMS tool that you are breaking is meant for castle nut installation and removal. The amount of torque necessary on the castle nut is generally considerably less than on a barrel nut. Max torque on the castle nut = 32 ftlbs. Your torque on the barrel nut = 64 ftlbs. You do the math.

The tool does what it is designed to do. The pin is for the castle nut. The rounded end with the ridges is for stock USGI type barrel nuts. It is indeed your fault and not the fault of the tool itself. Wrong tool for the job. On the upside your cousin upgraded the tool.

Uh,.....OP clearly stated "PINS" he also stated "BARREL NUT". He never mentioned "CASTLE NUT" or "STOCK"
Barrel Nut - 30 Ft. lbs. Minimum, not to exceed 80 Ft. Lbs. to align the next slot in the barrel nut.

zhix
06-21-2011, 07:02
I would have to agree with Wrenchbendr; he did say pins, and I believe it would be impossible to even get the castle nut wrench on a stock or FF barrel nut.

Cfec, hopefully your build is going well otherwise.

cfec2008
06-21-2011, 18:58
I would have to agree with Wrenchbendr; he did say pins, and I believe it would be impossible to even get the castle nut wrench on a stock or FF barrel nut.

Cfec, hopefully your build is going well otherwise.

Thanks man. I actually got it all together last night. I would post pics if i knew how. Maybe i can figure it out. and the pins that are weak on the tool is definatly the ones that torque the barrel. not a castle nut like the other guy said. I did call dpms today and they said they would replace it, but i have to ship it to them. all i can say is I will never use dpms tools again. I have a rifle from them, and its never gave a problem. less than 500 rounds though.

cfec2008
06-21-2011, 19:00

Maybe you should read my post again.

faawrenchbndr
06-21-2011, 19:12
Good thing you get it put together! Pics when you can!

surf
06-21-2011, 20:34
You said your cousin drilled out the "pin" and replaced "it" with a new "one". Shearing off the single "pin" on the castle nut portion of the wrench is indeed common when people replace the USGI barrel nut with an aftermarket barrel nut such as the one provided by Daniel Defense which uses a tool similar to a castle nut wrench. Many people use the DPMS too for this and shear off the pin. Your post does indeed read to me that you sheared off this singular pin as do many people.

I have almost stood on the DPMS tool using the "TEETH" end of the barrel nut portion of the wrench and commonly use a large breaker pipe slipped over the wrench. I have yet to bend any of them. FWIW I have no particular love for DPMS but I have used the tool for many years on dozens and dozens of barrels and the "Teeth" end of the wrench is still normal.

So which are the ones that you bent? Are you using the teeth?

cfec2008
06-22-2011, 02:27
You said your cousin drilled out the "pin" and replaced "it" with a new "one". Shearing off the single "pin" on the castle nut portion of the wrench is indeed common when people replace the USGI barrel nut with an aftermarket barrel nut such as the one provided by Daniel Defense which uses a tool similar to a castle nut wrench. Many people use the DPMS too for this and shear off the pin. Your post does indeed read to me that you sheared off this singular pin as do many people.

I have almost stood on the DPMS tool using the "TEETH" end of the barrel nut portion of the wrench and commonly use a large breaker pipe slipped over the wrench. I have yet to bend any of them. FWIW I have no particular love for DPMS but I have used the tool for many years on dozens and dozens of barrels and the "Teeth" end of the wrench is still normal.

So which are the ones that you bent? Are you using the teeth?

No one else had any problems understanding. I only broke one of the pins. Didnt break both of them. And it doesnt matter to me how tough you think those tools are. I put 65 pounds on them with a torque wrench and the PINS still bent like crazy on the new tool. If you want to keep buying the dpms tool thats fine with me. I could care less.

vafish
06-22-2011, 04:22
Get one of the mil spec style wrenched.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=762854

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/762/762854.jpg

The multi tools like this suck:

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/885/885858.jpg

surf
06-22-2011, 10:58
No one else had any problems understanding. I only broke one of the pins. Didnt break both of them. And it doesnt matter to me how tough you think those tools are. I put 65 pounds on them with a torque wrench and the PINS still bent like crazy on the new tool. If you want to keep buying the dpms tool thats fine with me. I could care less.If you don't have a USGI type of barrel nut tool like above use the Teeth portion of the DPMS tool to engage USGI type barrel nuts. I guessed that using the teeth would be self explanatory. Being a smith / armorer I see tons of DIY'ers who shear off the castle nut pin especially when installing proprietary barrel nuts when doing free floats. So when you said free float and "pin" it wasn't clear to me what you were talking about.

Again easy enough as your cousin upgraded your tool. I don't normally use a DPMS style all in one armorers wrench except that it is more convenient to keep in a tool kit that travels with me, but the Smith all in one is better.

faawrenchbndr
06-22-2011, 11:04
Give it a rest,........you were the only one who misunderstood the OP.
Go back and read his post,......easily understood.

cfec2008
06-22-2011, 17:09
Give it a rest,........you were the only one who misunderstood the OP.
Go back and read his post,......easily understood.

lmao :rofl: ok ok i gota get some a pic up..il work on that now

cfec2008
06-22-2011, 17:10
Get one of the mil spec style wrenched.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=762854

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/762/762854.jpg

The multi tools like this suck:

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/885/885858.jpg

Thank you. Maybe the guy having trouble understanding what i was talking about will see your pic. looks like a better tool. Ill check it out!