Switching out my BC. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Switching out my BC.

Foxtrotx1
06-21-2011, 08:18
I want to change out my DPMS bolt carrier for a M16 carrier. Considering the R Guns NiB carrier for 70 bucks.

Any thoughts on this carrier and finish?

Can I use my existing bolt and swap out the carrier with no problems?

Thanks
Foxtrot

M&P15T
06-21-2011, 08:26
What causes you to consider this change? Is your rifle not functioning properly?

STI
06-21-2011, 08:43
Why do you wish to change? If it broke is it under warranty? thats $70 worth of ammo. I have 4-5 16 carriers and bolts and dont use them, no need to as mine works fine.
Just curious as to why so many want to change theirs when they seem to work fine.
Not to bash or flame just wordering, would it benefit me to change mine to?

AK_Stick
06-21-2011, 08:49
Alot of people are sold on the MP inspection done on M-16 bolts, and the "proper" staking job done to the gas key.

I think MP is pretty much useless, but I've seen improperly installed gas keys cause issue.

M&P15T
06-21-2011, 08:54
Alot of people are sold on the MP inspection done on M-16 bolts, and the "proper" staking job done to the gas key.

I think MP is pretty much useless, but I've seen improperly installed gas keys cause issue.

While cleaning my M&P15T after an afternoon of shooting recently, I noticed the staking looked as if Thor had used his mighty hammer to do it. I'd say "over-do-it", but whatever.:rofl:

STI
06-21-2011, 08:56
I asked Sgt Chaney 1 time about that, he saw 1 crack into and that was all, but I am referring to the past not the present. Would it not be much cheaper to properly stake it rather than spend $70 for another, I looked at my RR carrier and its the same staking as my Colt, I have 4-5 others and they all look the same as the RR.
I am not pushing RR or another brand but mine works. Sometimes the new things are tempting yes, but not really necessary if the original works fine, honestly I bet there are not many actual problems there as there are with other issued like mags and ammo.

zhix
06-21-2011, 09:27
There should not be a problem if you keep the original bolt assembly with the barrel.
If you were going to get a whole new BCG then technically, headspace should be checked with a field/no-go gauge.
However, I agree with the others that you probably don't need to change it unless you're having problems.
Is it an off the shelf DPMS gun or a parts build?

STI
06-21-2011, 09:33
zhix I totally agree with you

fuzzy03cls
06-21-2011, 11:24
Some want the heaver carrier. Some want the better material a colt or bcm unit is made from. Some want reliable gas keys. Some don't want to deal with a manufacturer.
OP if you replacing the carrier I'd pony up the few $ more & get a complete BCG. With a tested & spec'd bolt with the proper extractor.

BlackPaladin
06-21-2011, 15:35
OP, if your BCG is operating correctly, just continue to use it as commented above. If you are buying one as a spare, good times, but don't waste your time buying into the whole MP/M16 carrier debate. As Ak_stick said, check for proper staking of the gas key, and run it.

Foxtrotx1
06-21-2011, 15:42
I just purchased the ST-T2 buffer and was looking to get a carrier that is a bit heavier in order to decrease dwell time and decrease parts wear/smooth out the action.

I clean after shooting every time, (about 200 rounds a week) so I figured the NiB carrier would make the cleaning process a bit easier.

I however, am very open to ideas, including saving the money for ammo.

ADD: It's a DPMS upper, M4 Extension, chrome barrel, ar15 carrier. The lower is most likely a DPMS parts kit. I bought it as a Frankenstein from the LGS. The smith was using up some extra uppers.

I just switched out the charging handle for the Gunfighter mod 3, the grip for a houge rubber one. Added an XPS sight. Final plan is to add a YHM low profile gas block and the Troy TRX 13'' free float.

zhix
06-21-2011, 17:24
IMO leave the gun plain unless it is giving you problems and save up to buy a Colt or build your own(assuming you don't already have any other ARs) and keep it for plinking or whatever.

White Buffalo
06-21-2011, 17:41
I have never, not ever, seen a bolt carrier break in person. Never. I've broken bolts (to always be expected at some point), I've had gas keys back off (years back when I was green to this) but I have never seen a broken bolt carrier. Get a spare bolt and keep rolling, assuming your carbine is running right as is.

ETA: running heavier buffers just to be running heavier buffers isn't always the best bet. Far as cleaning your gun goes, don't ever buy a can. You'll go mad. lol

boomhower
06-21-2011, 18:46
First, the difference in weight between a semi and full auto carrier is tiny. If you have the option, sure get the FA. There is absolutely no reason to spend money just for the sake of getting the FA carrier if you have a semi that is working fine. Second, skip R Guns. Your replacing a mediocre carrier with one that is equal or worse. I am completely sold on NiB, all of mine will be. If you want it your going to have to pay for it. Either order one from FailZero or buy a name brand(BCM, Colt, DD, etc) and send it to WMD guns and have them coat. It isn't the cheapest way but trust me, when it comes to may things in life(it pays off particularly with AR's) buy once cry once. Do it right the first time or you'll just spend the money later when you have to buy what you should have bought in the first place to replace the crap piece you bought that broke.

Foxtrotx1
06-21-2011, 22:02
IMO leave the gun plain unless it is giving you problems and save up to buy a Colt or build your own(assuming you don't already have any other ARs) and keep it for plinking or whatever.

It's been flawless, so I use it for my go to rifle. It's up to about 7 thousand rounds now. 80 percentish steel case.

The M1A just isn't as handy.

Thanks for all the imput. Ill keep the carrier the same and get an extra bolt from BC or Spikes. Saves some money for the TRX rail. (no i'm not putting a grip or flashlight on it.)

humanguerrilla
06-22-2011, 02:13
Lotsa argument as to if the slightly heavier m16 carrier is a benefit. I think it is but I'm also convinced that clean cars run better than dirty cars.

Pretty sure Rguns nickle boron is done by Failzero/Exo and I'm sold on it as far as next gen firearms coatings go. Failzero/Exo is doing a lot of OEM work and each company uses similar language. I love my Failzeroed Spike's carrier. Good self lubricating and much easier to clean.

M&P15T
06-22-2011, 13:32
I can completely understand getting something that is easier to clean. That alone would justify the money in my mind.