I have to carry everywhere now [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I have to carry everywhere now

Triple7
06-21-2011, 22:58
I find out tonight that there was a murder at the Walmart I was at just 30 mins prior. Really nice area Frisco Tx.

Maine1
06-21-2011, 23:15
so? you were not already?

John Rambo
06-21-2011, 23:23
I missed a bank robbery by about 15 minutes once. Sucks, too. I had my tactical pen on me and totally could've saved the day.

Actually, I was on the job and had a Keltec in my pocket, so I would've hid in the server room and climbed my happy ass up the rack into the ceiling. Might've even been able to GTFO through a vent or something, the bank was only one story.

Shinesintx
06-21-2011, 23:40
I find out tonight that there was a murder at the Walmart I was at just 30 mins prior. Really nice area Frisco Tx.

Welcome to 2 weeks ago.:rofl:

Sorry, could not resist. When I found out about the shooting, I discovered we had a new Wal Mart in town...dang this town is growing fast.

John43
06-22-2011, 04:35
I think that is a new store. It is the second shooting there.

Defender77
06-22-2011, 04:44
I just saw a "House Hunters" episode in Frisco, TX and they had some gorgeous houses at very affordable prices.

Did a search on Wikipedia and it said that is an affluent suburb of Dallas.

Judge Roy Bean
06-22-2011, 04:59
Any news on what happened at the store? I work directly next to a walmart and frequent it several times a day.

Triple7
06-22-2011, 06:24
Welcome to 2 weeks ago.:rofl:

Sorry, could not resist. When I found out about the shooting, I discovered we had a new Wal Mart in town...dang this town is growing fast.

Second shooting.

And no I currently don't have my CCL I'll be getting that asap

Unistat
06-22-2011, 06:36
I just saw a "House Hunters" episode in Frisco, TX and they had some gorgeous houses at very affordable prices.

Did a search on Wikipedia and it said that is an affluent suburb of Dallas.

What I tell people who ask me why I carry to "nice" areas: Bad guys have cars too.

Sam Spade
06-22-2011, 07:35

First reply nails it.

dregotglock
06-22-2011, 08:51

Shopping anywhere these days can expose you to harms way - this is the case when the economy is down and people are facing hard times - even in frisco.

Its is reports like this that make me ask people - where are you concerned about your safety? We have had school shootings, church shootings (and if you are going to commit a crime why would you do it where God is sure to be watching... tounge in cheek on this one), bank robberies in grocery stores and department stores. there is really no safe place anymore.

I will be holding a chl class on July 2nd 2011 if interested

tango44
06-22-2011, 08:56

+1000 :wow:

Caver 60
06-22-2011, 09:06
I have at least one (condition one) on me or within hands reach 24/7 every place it's legal to do so. And I live in a low crime area. But we've still got meth labs and stuff like that around here. There's no place you're 100% safe, even in your bedroom.

A few years ago around here a man had been stalking another mans wife. The stalker broke into the other mans house armed with a rifle and a pistol. He came into the bedroom shooting. Fortunately the husband had a pistol handy and terminated the stalker. The husband only got a slight wound.

ETA The event made the American Rifleman's self defense page.

Triple7
06-22-2011, 10:31
I wok at a stadium, so I'm not suppose to have a gun in my car. I'm gonna have to start breaking that rule.

eb31
06-22-2011, 10:40
I carry everywhere to begin with. Came in handy the other night when some geeked out ****** approached my vehicle, asking for money, while we were getting gas. Wife and kids were in car. He ignored first loud warning to "back the F up". He left with a quickness once I pulled my concealed EDC.

Called police, explained what happened, gave them my info yada yada. Just to he safe and in the clear.

Advice. Get your permit. Carry all the time. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Good luck.

GlocknTexas
06-22-2011, 10:49
I wok at a stadium, so I'm not suppose to have a gun in my car. I'm gonna have to start breaking that rule.

You should be okay now that Perry signed new law prohibiting employers from not allowing handguns in a parked vehicle. Haven't read the law in its entirety, but I would think that applies to stadiums as well. Just don't carry it into stadium when you get CHL.

bithabus
06-22-2011, 10:50
Why can't you have a gun in your car?

Shinesintx
06-22-2011, 11:37
Second shooting.

Seriously?!?!? A second shooting at a WalMart in Frisco...thats been open two months.(If even that long)

I googled it...DAYUM, the store has only been open a month and 2 separate shootings have occurred there. Scary, WTF is going on here?

Sheepdog Scout
06-22-2011, 14:56
Second shooting.

Good for you. And then carry it as much as you can. I carry everywhere I legally can.

SPIN2010
06-22-2011, 15:04
Here at the WallMart in Fairfax/Redbank/Cincinnati they had to build a police substation in the parking lot to keep the violence at bay. :shocked:

kensteele
06-22-2011, 15:28
You should be okay now that Perry signed new law prohibiting employers from not allowing handguns in a parked vehicle. Haven't read the law in its entirety, but I would think that applies to stadiums as well. Just don't carry it into stadium when you get CHL.

I haven't read that law either but if it like many other similar laws or even the law here in KS, the employer probably can still terminate your employment for breaking the "no guns on the property company policy", just can't seek criminal prosecution. However, most good companies comply with state law and don't intend to usurp state law.

Edit: After briefly reading up on this, it appears the new law might prohibit employers from implementing policies that prevent some folks from keeping firearms in their car on company property. Still, that may not stop the employer from firing you but you may have legal recourse available to you under the new law. Good for TX.

ItsOnlyMoney
06-22-2011, 17:40
Seriously?!?!? A second shooting at a WalMart in Frisco...thats been open two months.(If even that long)

I googled it...DAYUM, the store has only been open a month and 2 separate shootings have occurred there. Scary, WTF is going on here?

Not the same Walmart. This second shooting happened at 423 and Eldorado, on the west side of Frisco.

russelldehart
06-22-2011, 18:56
Barely missed two robberies in a two week period about six years ago. One was a Taco Bell and the other was an oriental grocery (great place to buy bulk rice). Hardly leave the house w/o something that goes boom since.

Ruggles
06-22-2011, 19:27
All those Wal-Mart shooting are domestic dispute in nature it seems :dunno:

Anyways what ever happened to getting your CCW and getting nachos at Wal-Mart the first day you carried. Of course you should carry at Wal-Mart :supergrin:

VaporLock24
06-22-2011, 19:33
man you got lucky also, i see people have some terrific timing on this forum!

Fedor
06-22-2011, 19:35
Advice. Get your permit. Carry all the time. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Words to live by.

jdavionic
06-22-2011, 19:41
I've heard the comment many times - 'you carry to the [fill in the blank]? why?' If I knew where and when crap would happen, I'd obviously avoid going there. You can have a bad situation at Publix in a nice neighborhood, and you can have one pumping gas at 1am. Just because it's daylight in a nice area is not guarantee that you won't have an incident.

GlockPride
06-22-2011, 19:49
If Wal-Mart parking lots were a 'city' they'd collectively be the most dangerous city.

Think about all the wrecks, assaults, robberies, murders, etc.

heliguy
06-23-2011, 07:40

There have been several articles in the DMNews recently about increasing crime in Frisco. Several daylight armed robberies, breakins and domestic violence increasing....Bad guys moving north into the cushy burbs...

schaibaa
06-23-2011, 09:14
I carry everywhere to begin with. Came in handy the other night when some geeked out ****** approached my vehicle, asking for money, while we were getting gas. Wife and kids were in car. He ignored first loud warning to "back the F up". He left with a quickness once I pulled my concealed EDC.

Called police, explained what happened, gave them my info yada yada. Just to he safe and in the clear.

Good luck.

One of the more informed should chime in here - but I'm pretty sure you violated the law here. You can't just brandish your weapon/draw on someone because they are close to you and/or asking for money.

And just because the cops didn't arrest you doesn't mean it's not a crime. I'm not saying you're some crazy felon that needs locked up - and I don't know the laws in Tennessee, but I'm guessing if the guy you drew on didn't run away, but instead called the cops himself you'd be losing your concealed carry permit and talking to lawyers.

Louisville Glocker
06-23-2011, 10:12
Walmart is a natural place to carry. You've got a high volume of people. And those people tend to be crazier than average. In short, I think the likelihood of running into a crazy there is pretty high. At least compared to other places I frequent.

I also carry whenever legally possible. I've even played a one on one basketball game with my G26 IWB (short sleeve shirt, untucked). I won the game by the way.

Mark9Fogger
06-24-2011, 21:59
I had a few close calls. One that stands out in my mind was a robbery at a gas station I always go to on my way to work. One early morning it took me about 15 minutes to find my car keys at home. That short delay caused me to miss a guy robbing the gas station with a shotgun. When I arrived there, the cops were just beginning to show up at the scene. Yes, I was carrying my off-duty weapon.

aeroengr
06-25-2011, 01:57
Walmart is arguably the most important place to carry, as others have pointed out. Why wouldn't you?

In regards to the Frisco area, guarantee you one or both of the shootings are drug related (in fact I think I remember hearing the first one was). This may be a "nice" area in DFW, but often times nicer areas have large amounts of drug related crimes... probably due to the combination of boredom and having some extra cash in their wallet.

eb31
06-25-2011, 02:24
One of the more informed should chime in here - but I'm pretty sure you violated the law here. You can't just brandish your weapon/draw on someone because they are close to you and/or asking for money.

And just because the cops didn't arrest you doesn't mean it's not a crime. I'm not saying you're some crazy felon that needs locked up - and I don't know the laws in Tennessee, but I'm guessing if the guy you drew on didn't run away, but instead called the cops himself you'd be losing your concealed carry permit and talking to lawyers.

You are partially correct. If some "average joe" is politely asking for a few bucks...any dildo would know a weapon doesn't need to be pulled.

I'm guessing you either missed the words " geeked out" or don't understand the meaning.

The person in question geeking on meth. He was itching, picking at scabs on his arm, barefoot, filthy and smelled like a combo of crap and drugs. Sometimes I forget that those that don't deal with drugs/drug addicts daily or live in a high crime area don't understand...unless it's explained.

Meth is rampant in my area and the surrounding counties. It's not even funny.

You don't take ANY chances with a meth head. None. Especially when your wife and two small children are involved.

So no, I commited no crime. And yes, you may draw and use your weapon if you feel your life or loved ones lives are in direct, iminent danger.

When standing face to face with a meth head (with 3 buddies in the background), looking to score money for his next fix, you had better KNOW you are in danger.

LApm9
06-25-2011, 14:07
I have stopped going to the Walmart gas station because of the "irritable" people that go there. That is doubly true at just after "quitting time".

After observing and analyzing some of the behavior there, it occurred to me that this is a natural gathering spot for persons whose interpersonal interactions and unresolved hostilities have placed them on the bottom of the economic ladder. Sure, there are a lot of nice and successful people there too, but the nuts concentrate there. Add that to the jockeying for position at the pumps and you have a bad mix.

Even though Walmart is super convenient for me, I go a mile further and pay a mere dollar more for a tank of gas in a better environment.

Avoiding trouble is priceless. My new fuel stop is not perfectly safe (no place is), but the odds of trouble are lower.

cowboy1964
06-25-2011, 14:16
Wow, if Walmarts are such pitholes of crime and insanity, why are you some of you still going there?

Toorop
06-26-2011, 03:24
I wok at a stadium, so I'm not suppose to have a gun in my car. I'm gonna have to start breaking that rule. Is this legal?

Why not just get a new job rather then do something that goes against the agreement you made with your boss? It would be much safer to start a new career as the stadium must be dangerous.

Tranquillity
06-26-2011, 07:47
You are partially correct. If some "average joe" is politely asking for a few bucks...any dildo would know a weapon doesn't need to be pulled.

I'm guessing you either missed the words " geeked out" or don't understand the meaning.

The person in question geeking on meth. He was itching, picking at scabs on his arm, barefoot, filthy and smelled like a combo of crap and drugs. Sometimes I forget that those that don't deal with drugs/drug addicts daily or live in a high crime area don't understand...unless it's explained.

Meth is rampant in my area and the surrounding counties. It's not even funny.

You don't take ANY chances with a meth head. None. Especially when your wife and two small children are involved.

So no, I commited no crime. And yes, you may draw and use your weapon if you feel your life or loved ones lives are in direct, iminent danger.

When standing face to face with a meth head (with 3 buddies in the background), looking to score money for his next fix, you had better KNOW you are in danger.

That had to be pretty scary. Fortunately, I've never had to come across a meth head, at least as far as I could tell.

I just finished re-reading Ayoob's "In the Gravest Extreme," and just wanted to add something to your definition of lives being in direct, imminent danger. Not sure if you're familiar with the book, or the term "Disparity of Force," but it goes into good detail explaining it. Basically, if you're up against a few unarmed men, and they haven't actually thrown a punch or done anything to convince you of immediate serious bodily harm or death, you may get yourself into some trouble if you pull a firearm. You're supposed to meet the opposition's attack with something similar, maybe slightly more. Of course, there's a lot open for interpretation, and your situation is probably a gray area, but I just wanted to mention that. If it were one man, you definitely couldn't draw your gun unless he was built like Schwarzenegger or something. A meth head and 3 buddies is a tough call though. I don't know all that much about this stuff, but I think it'd be more clear cut if one of them pulled a knife or something. Yet again, it wasn't my family in the car.