Heading to Alaskan bush, cc laws when I reside in Illinois? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Alaskan bush, cc laws when I reside in Illinois?

griz7674
06-22-2011, 07:10
I live in Illinois so we obviously don't have any cc rules that I can take advantage of the reciprocity rules. I am going to spend a week in Alaska fishing in Gods country but this also means bear country. Any advice on how best to accomplish carrying a pistol while up there? I leave in 6 weeks so my timing is less than ideal. Thanks!

B.Reid
06-22-2011, 08:06
No permit needed in Alaska. You can carry open or concealed just like a free man.

griz7674
06-22-2011, 09:11
No permit needed in Alaska. You can carry open or concealed just like a free man.

Even though I'm a non-resident?

John Rambo
06-22-2011, 09:13

Breathe the fresh air of freedom, my friend. It can be confusing and unnerving at first, but it smells good. :wavey:

griz7674
06-22-2011, 09:42
Breathe the fresh air of freedom, my friend. It can be confusing and unnerving at first, but it smells good. :wavey:

Unflipping believable! I don't think I could dislike Illinois anymore than I do right now!

smokeross
06-22-2011, 10:13
Just wear it like Poncho and Lefty. Outside your pants for all the honest world to feel. Nobody will give you so much as a second look. Well, except for some of the tourorists that might not be used to seeing a gun out in the open. Just give them your best Clint Eastwood sneer. Perhaps work on making your face twitch a little before you get here.:freak:

ICARRY2
06-22-2011, 11:12
I live in Illinois so we obviously don't have any cc rules that I can take advantage of the reciprocity rules. I am going to spend a week in Alaska fishing in Gods country but this also means bear country. Any advice on how best to accomplish carrying a pistol while up there? I leave in 6 weeks so my timing is less than ideal. Thanks!

http://handgunlaw.us/states/alaska.pdf

Gunnut 45/454
06-22-2011, 11:16
Yep true freedom is a great thing strap that pistol on your hip and be a free man!:supergrin:

off road
06-22-2011, 11:19
Lived in Alaska in the 70's. Was just a kid, and we open carried everywhere including in town, and nobody batted an eye.

B.Reid
06-22-2011, 12:06

Even non residents are considered free men in Alaska.

Sheepdog Scout
06-22-2011, 14:51
Have fun in Alaska. It's very, very beautiful.

Any chance of taking something like a shotgun up there griz? With Grizzly bears running around and you near/at a food source, I'd want more than a pistol. Maybe some bear spray?

kensteele
06-22-2011, 15:36
Last time I was in AK (before the internet became popular), I had no idea AK gun laws were so liberal, the whole time my handguns were unloaded and rifles were in the trunk when I was driving as if I were in the lower 48. In the wood, I think people take for granted OC is OK. Oh well, next time I know.

Also don't forget, AK is a must-inform state.

I was naive and stupid (but lived to tell) and traveled thru DEEP bear country with an AR15 and a G17. If you are going to CCW, please have something that will work plus maybe a 12ga shotgun somewhere in the group.

IndyGunFreak
06-22-2011, 16:14
Alaska has only had constitutional carry the last few years. Before, 1994 I believe.. they didn't have a conceal carry provision either.

IGF

Deaf Smith
06-22-2011, 17:26
Unflipping believable! I don't think I could dislike Illinois anymore than I do right now!

I went to Vermont a few years ago and packed day and night. Even in bars.

Blood on the street? Nah. 'Dodge City'? Nah.

Everyone was polite and not a bit of trouble (nor did I give any.)

Alaska is just like that.

Yea, a breath of freedom!

Deaf

Soothsayr
06-22-2011, 20:24
Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan. We don' need no stinkeen shotguns!

Edmo01
06-22-2011, 23:11
I was stationed there from '98-'02 and loved every minute! I miss it often.

They still had CCW permits at that time, but none are required now.

Edmo

griz7674
06-23-2011, 07:33
Have fun in Alaska. It's very, very beautiful.

Any chance of taking something like a shotgun up there griz? With Grizzly bears running around and you near/at a food source, I'd want more than a pistol. Maybe some bear spray?

I'm bringing my 9mm so I should have plenty of gun power to take down a Grizzly with one shot. :rofl:

Actually, I am bringing my .45 I'm hoping the loud bang might be enough to distract the people I'm with so I can get a head start!

Bob

smokeross
06-23-2011, 09:36
I'm hoping the loud bang might be enough to distract the people I'm with so I can get a head start!

Bob
You don't even need the 'loud bang'. Just shoot the nearest pilgrim in the knee with your .22 Pretty sure "Gimpy" will be the one overtaken while you sprint to safety.

redbaron007
06-23-2011, 10:27
You don't even need the 'loud bang'. Just shoot the nearest pilgrim in the knee with your .22 Pretty sure "Gimpy" will be the one overtaken while you sprint to safety.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:wavey:

red

eracer
06-23-2011, 10:38
Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan. We don' need no stinkeen shotguns!I'm just replenishing my drool supply after seeing that gun at a shop last week.

You had to mention it again...:supergrin:

Fonzie
06-23-2011, 11:54
I'd take a 12ga. with slugs for bear protection in AK.
Alaska is a bit different than Illinois

Deye76
06-23-2011, 12:12
One thing to consider, when driving, for example, going to Haines, from Tok, you have to go through the Yukon. No handguns allowed. Have fun, best fishing on earth, and sights you'll never forget.

Gunnut 45/454
06-23-2011, 12:23
Edmo01
Feel the same way -always wanted to be stationed there, near as I got was a TDY, dam near went AWOL!! A hunting /fishing paradise!:supergrin:

RyanBDawg
06-23-2011, 20:42
I was watching that Alaskan troopers show on Nat Geo once and a cop pulled over this guy for speeding, when he got to the window of the guys car he could smell marijuana. So he asked the guy if he had any weapons and they guy said yea and handed over his 10mm Glock that he had.

The cop confiscated the guys weed, gave him a ticket and his gun back, and said "thanks for being honest and cooperative, have a nice day"

I was like damn, in Chicago they guy would be doing 2-5 for that.. In Alaska he gets a ticket and his gun promptly returned to him..

kensteele
06-23-2011, 20:53
I was watching that Alaskan troopers show on Nat Geo once and a cop pulled over this guy for speeding, when he got to the window of the guys car he could smell marijuana. So he asked the guy if he had any weapons and they guy said yea and handed over his 10mm Glock that he had.

The cop confiscated the guys weed, gave him a ticket and his gun back, and said "thanks for being honest and cooperative, have a nice day"

I was like damn, in Chicago they guy would be doing 2-5 for that.. In Alaska he gets a ticket and his gun promptly returned to him..

IIRC that episode, the cops was pretty pissed at him for not immediately disclosing the weaon. I know the show is not exactly "real" but from what I saw, the trooper sized him up and determined he wasn't really a bg. The trooper could have easily jammed him up.

De_Santi
06-23-2011, 21:01
yes yes I just left alaska and moved back to Florida enjoy yourself and dont worry about carry problems...unless your combat fishing and your line crosses some rude man...ive seen guns pulled for dumb things..be careful and enjoy yourself

knightgator
06-23-2011, 21:08

Nah I would take my 9mm and a balloon full of honey to toss at one of my "buddies"....

smokeross
06-23-2011, 23:02
Most likely any place you'll be fishing, you won't have to worry about bears. It's not that they won't be there, but the bears will know the routine. 'See tourist, growl at tourist, tourist drops fish, craps pants, screams like girl, runs like track star, bear eats fish'.

ICARRY2
06-26-2011, 09:35
Since you have 6 weeks, you should have enough time to get a Florida ccw. A non-resident ccw is good in 32 states even though you don't need it in AK.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf