MGW Sight Tool #309 for Glocks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : MGW Sight Tool #309 for Glocks

GaryC
06-22-2011, 07:44
It came yesterday and I used it to remove the polymer sights from my G17 & G19 and replace them with Glock steel sights.

It worked well - tore up the polymer sights (as expected) when removing them and installed the steel sights with no problems.

emore
06-22-2011, 08:30
My MGW had no ill effect on the plastic sights and managed to install a steel set of Warrens without much drama. I have some Dawson adjustables coming that I will definitely use the punch-hammer method as the edges are sharp squares. Did you replace with night sights or the same sights in steel or what?

sgt-spam
06-22-2011, 08:33
My MGW has also destroyed some stock sights, but not all of them I've removed. In one case the plastic came out of the dovetail, but the metal insert remained. After that I decided to just tap them out with a dowel rod and use the pusher to install / adjust only.

GaryC
06-22-2011, 08:41
My MGW had no ill effect on the plastic sights and managed to install a steel set of Warrens without much drama. I have some Dawson adjustables coming that I will definitely use the punch-hammer method as the edges are sharp squares. Did you replace with night sights or the same sights in steel or what?

Yes, I replaced the plastic with the same sights (Glock brand) in steel.

GaryC
06-22-2011, 08:48
My MGW has also destroyed some stock sights, but not all of them I've removed. In one case the plastic came out of the dovetail, but the metal insert remained. After that I decided to just tap them out with a dowel rod and use the pusher to install / adjust only.

In both cases with mine the plastic came out of the dovetail, but the metal insert remained. I just knocked them out with a brass punch. Seeing this, I would think that this tool would not be a good one to use for replacing plastic sights with plastic sights or adjusting plastic sights - at least not in my hands :embarassed:

byf43
06-22-2011, 10:34
I've never done it, but, I've seen the stock 'plastic' rear sights being removed, several times.

Each time, the armorer did not use any tools. None.

Wooden table. Lay rear sight along edge of table, with pistol in your hand.
Sharply smack slide with the heel of your other hand.
Sight slides right out.

sjd78
06-26-2011, 14:40
Where is the cheapest Place to get the MGW tool?

ksfiremarshal
06-26-2011, 19:21
I bought both of my Glock sight MGW tools from TopGunSupply.com. Good service from this company.

I bought the sight tool for angle sided sights and one for and the tall/straight sights.

Yes the polymer sights do not do well when being removed, for the most part. Some strip out of the metal base, and some completely remove. They always get buggered up.

I did attempt to install new Glock polymer rear sights into a G22 the other day with the angled sight pusher. Well, that ruined two sets of polymer rear sights. They just will not go with the angled sided pusher. I will not attempt to install anything but steel sights from now on. I think it was the small metal base of the polymer sights got going in well and pushed the plastic off of the base. I even used some TriFlow for a lubricant each time and ruined the sight.

The tool is great. Works like a charm.

If you get one I recommend using a shim to raise the slide up closer to the pusher. I went to the hardware store and got a small sheet of .032 brass material, cut out a square of it and a square hole in the middle to fit the locking clamp of the pusher.

I have installed two sets of TruGlo Fiber optic sights with the tall/straight tool and it worked perfect.

These are good tools.

clarkstoncz
11-27-2011, 09:00
A person would have to buy the angle sided MGW tool for installing the Warren Tacticals?