Night Sights for G26 - what kind ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Night Sights for G26 - what kind ?

Calico Hunter
06-22-2011, 11:06
I've never had Night Sights before, so I'm not sure what to purchase.

The Night Sights are for my G26, which I do use for concealed carry using a Sidearmor IWB holster.

I want sights that will give me years of service, without breaking-the-bank.

Thanks

Alcoy
06-22-2011, 11:09
i have ameriglo on mine. put GSSF on the discount section when you check out (10%~20%) discount. I ordered the I-dot model.

phil evans
06-22-2011, 11:26
on my g26gen 4, i have xs big dot.
fastest target acquisition of any sight.
big dot ok as battle sights for 0-15 yards.
>15 yards get something else.

tango44
06-22-2011, 11:33
Truglo TFO's
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTTn4LXjzj-MxviBuKxUY2sh8HKfdhaKRqWHX74mttjLzDNvsR&t=1
http://cdn.armslist.com/images/posts/6343975181083691543r2ajtfj.jpg

Calico Hunter
06-22-2011, 11:33
Thank You for the information above . . .

I should have also asked what did it cost to have your Sights installed ?

tango44
06-22-2011, 11:34
$100 installed at my local range.

amazon
06-22-2011, 11:44
I have trijicon's on mine. ~$90 installed at my local shop. Low profile. Nice & bright at night. The white rings work fine for me (it's my carry gun).

rnpollard
06-22-2011, 14:46
I had some on my G36 and took them off to add Tru Glo TFOs. Big mistake! I am in my 50s and the TFOs are too busy, the rear sights are the same size as the front sight and since they are closer they appear bigger.

I've gone from the 36 to a 26 and will add the XS Big Dot Sights as soon as I can. They can be found for about $100 (I bought mine second hand for $80) and I'm a Glock Armorer so it is no problem to put them on. My local gun shop has a rear sight pusher.

A normal self defense ranges these sights are dead on and fast. At longer ranges you just take your time and you can get hits out to 50 yards.

I have Big Dots on my Kahr PM9 w/ Crimson Trace and my Colt C.C.O. .45. They will be standard on all my carry guns from now on.

dregotglock
06-22-2011, 15:00
Trijicon on my G30 - came with the gun and have been great. Zero complaints.

XS BigDot on my American Classic Commander - I really like these and will be using these going forward. I find the BD sight great for quick target acquisition during rapid fire drills.

Bruce M
06-22-2011, 15:27
I also really like the TFO sights as being past the half century mark my eyes are not what they used to be. I also have a set of Big Dots that are good too, but in daylight the TFOs work better for me.

stevo1001
06-22-2011, 16:13
I love my trijicons

K1tt3n5
06-22-2011, 16:14
I love my mepros

hwill
06-22-2011, 16:29
I have the TFO's on my Gen3 G26, they are good sights. I have XS Big Dot on my Gen4 G26 and they are also good for shorter ranges as stated.
My favorite sights are Trijicon HD's that will replace the TFO's on the Gen3 G26.

firefighter4215
06-22-2011, 16:35
I love my green/yellow Mepros. Have 'em on the 27 and 22.

mikekjg
06-22-2011, 17:01
Warren Tactical Sevigny Carry 2-dot tritium. They're like $130. I installed them myself.

I do have a set of 3-dot mepros if anyone is interested. $55 shipped.

Glock40man
06-22-2011, 17:11
I have Trijicons or GNS installed on my Glocks.

up1911fan
06-22-2011, 17:33
Big Dot's on mine.

Calico Hunter
06-26-2011, 07:22
Thank You for all the valuable information, and suggestions.

I wish there were a way to test the various sights before purchase. It seems like my local dealers only carry 1 or 2 different sights. And, none mounted on Range Guns. Bummer.

I bought a set of Mepro 3 green dot sights for my G19. I would really like to try the XS Big Dot on my G26. Does anyone have a recommended internet purchase sight for the Big Dot at a "good" price ?

Thanks

RMD
06-26-2011, 08:05
Thank You for all the valuable information, and suggestions.

I wish there were a way to test the various sights before purchase. It seems like my local dealers only carry 1 or 2 different sights. And, none mounted on Range Guns. Bummer.

I bought a set of Mepro 3 green dot sights for my G19. I would really like to try the XS Big Dot on my G26. Does anyone have a recommended internet purchase sight for the Big Dot at a "good" price ?

Thanks

I got mine from Glockparts (https://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=6978&CAT=765), but it looks like they're back-ordered right now.

RWBlue
06-26-2011, 09:59

I had a good email conversation about sights with LoneWolf's armorer.

Then again, I had a very specific question.

wrenrj1
06-26-2011, 10:26
Glock night sites are on both my 19/26. Less than $70.00 IIRC. Sent my slide to Glock and it came back in about 11-days. Call them for instructions.

HexHead
06-26-2011, 10:53
I had a set of Glock night sights installed on my 26 at the GSSF match for $65 total.

RayB
06-26-2011, 18:11
Here's my previously well-received night sight review...

--Ray

My Take On Night Sights...

Self-Luminous Tritium Night Sights incorporate small tritium-charged lamps as sight markers. The hermetically sealed lamps consist of glass ampoules coated internally with phosphor and charged with tritium gas (Hydrogen 3). Free electrons in the decaying tritium gas strike and excite the phosphor coating, emitting light, much the way a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitor or older television does. Tritium gas is a byproduct of nuclear fission. Tritium poses no health hazard unless it is ingested or inhaled. On average, you can expect 12+ years of useful light from tritium sights.

Glock OEM Night Sights utilize Meprolight lamps, and when purchased with the gun, are about the best deal going! The OEM models are combat-type sights, which typically had a staked-on front sight that dedicated that sight to one gun; but recently, we’ve been getting reports of a threaded-on front sight being the new standard for this set up. They are excellent bull's-eye sights out to 30-feet or so.
We’ve also been hearing that Glock now offers Trijicon night sights, installed by the factory.

Meprolight Night Sights are rugged, well-made, low profile, combat-type sights, with a wide front blade to rear sight notch aspect. Israeli-made Meprolights were the first tritium night sights marketed for use on popular pistols and rifles. Their large lamps appear brighter than other night sights, partly because the interior of the lamp housings has a bright-white coating to increase internal reflection. The lamps and white plastic o-ring markers appear to be embedded in polished epoxy, which resists solvents and makes for easy cleaning. By design, the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight.

Trijicon Night Sights offer tritium lamps surrounded by an aluminum sleeve, pressed into the sight housing, and covered by a sapphire lens. This lens makes the sight markers appear very sharp in the dark, Vs. Meprolight's glowing orbs, and protects the lamps from external damage. The narrower front blade to rear sight notch aspect will be appreciated by sharper eyed shooters at the range. The quality is excellent, but care should be taken when cleaning to avoid harsh solvents and aggressive scrubbing, as the white o-rings are painted on. The new Trijicon HD sights rival AmeriGlo's Operator-style Sights, and have an additional protective coating over the front sight marker.

AmeriGlo offers the best selection of night sights available. Quality is first-rate, as the sights combine Trijicon lamps with white PVC O-rings for markers. A combination of sight profiles, blade and notch widths, marker configurations, sizes and lamp colors, offers something for everyone. I really like their Operator sights with a green front and yellow rear lamps!

XS Big Dot sights are high quality combat sights, designed for SHTF situations. Place that big white dot on center mass, and if your trigger control is good, you will hit your target, out to 30-feet or better. The night sight picture is pleasing and easily picked up. These are a specialty sight, and many will find them wanting for range use; conversely, others will master them for target use too. More than any sight I know of, people like them or they don't.

Note: Lamp colors are often mixed today, combining the familiar green with yellow or orange, even red or blue tritium lamps. The brighter appearing green, always goes to the front... I personally like the two color set up, using yellow or orange rear lamps, with the green front. Note that green and yellow have a similar lamp-life, while other colors such as orange or red, may have half the lamp-life.

Summary: These are just a few night sights we've had first-hand experience with. There are other quality products, and some not-so-quality products out there to try. Some are innovative and novel--like TrueGlo TFOs. Some have been known to be problematic--like TruGlo TFOs. Any of the premium brands--i.e., Novak, Heinie, Dawson Precision, Bomar, etc.---should be excellent. The warranty is a good indicator of the manufacturer's confidence in their product.

RayB

Sgt01
06-29-2011, 23:44
I like Mepros. Particularly the green/yellow ones I have on my G26. I find them easier to pick up quickly compared to my green/green sights.

wrenrj1
06-30-2011, 18:46
Here's my previously well-received night sight review...

--Ray

My Take On Night Sights...

Self-Luminous Tritium Night Sights incorporate small tritium-charged lamps as sight markers. The hermetically sealed lamps consist of glass ampoules coated internally with phosphor and charged with tritium gas (Hydrogen 3). Free electrons in the decaying tritium gas strike and excite the phosphor coating, emitting light, much the way a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitor or older television does. Tritium gas is a byproduct of nuclear fission. Tritium poses no health hazard unless it is ingested or inhaled. On average, you can expect 12+ years of useful light from tritium sights.

Glock OEM Night Sights utilize Meprolight lamps, and when purchased with the gun, are about the best deal going! The OEM models are combat-type sights, which typically had a staked-on front sight that dedicated that sight to one gun; but recently, we’ve been getting reports of a threaded-on front sight being the new standard for this set up. They are excellent bull's-eye sights out to 30-feet or so.
We’ve also been hearing that Glock now offers Trijicon night sights, installed by the factory.

Meprolight Night Sights are rugged, well-made, low profile, combat-type sights, with a wide front blade to rear sight notch aspect. Israeli-made Meprolights were the first tritium night sights marketed for use on popular pistols and rifles. Their large lamps appear brighter than other night sights, partly because the interior of the lamp housings has a bright-white coating to increase internal reflection. The lamps and white plastic o-ring markers appear to be embedded in polished epoxy, which resists solvents and makes for easy cleaning. By design, the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight.

Trijicon Night Sights offer tritium lamps surrounded by an aluminum sleeve, pressed into the sight housing, and covered by a sapphire lens. This lens makes the sight markers appear very sharp in the dark, Vs. Meprolight's glowing orbs, and protects the lamps from external damage. The narrower front blade to rear sight notch aspect will be appreciated by sharper eyed shooters at the range. The quality is excellent, but care should be taken when cleaning to avoid harsh solvents and aggressive scrubbing, as the white o-rings are painted on. The new Trijicon HD sights rival AmeriGlo's Operator-style Sights, and have an additional protective coating over the front sight marker.

AmeriGlo offers the best selection of night sights available. Quality is first-rate, as the sights combine Trijicon lamps with white PVC O-rings for markers. A combination of sight profiles, blade and notch widths, marker configurations, sizes and lamp colors, offers something for everyone. I really like their Operator sights with a green front and yellow rear lamps!

XS Big Dot sights are high quality combat sights, designed for SHTF situations. Place that big white dot on center mass, and if your trigger control is good, you will hit your target, out to 30-feet or better. The night sight picture is pleasing and easily picked up. These are a specialty sight, and many will find them wanting for range use; conversely, others will master them for target use too. More than any sight I know of, people like them or they don't.

Note: Lamp colors are often mixed today, combining the familiar green with yellow or orange, even red or blue tritium lamps. The brighter appearing green, always goes to the front... I personally like the two color set up, using yellow or orange rear lamps, with the green front. Note that green and yellow have a similar lamp-life, while other colors such as orange or red, may have half the lamp-life.

Summary: These are just a few night sights we've had first-hand experience with. There are other quality products, and some not-so-quality products out there to try. Some are innovative and novel--like TrueGlo TFOs. Some have been known to be problematic--like TruGlo TFOs. Any of the premium brands--i.e., Novak, Heinie, Dawson Precision, Bomar, etc.---should be excellent. The warranty is a good indicator of the manufacturer's confidence in their product.

RayB

Great review RayB, it should be a sticky somewhere...

Singlestack Wonder
07-01-2011, 20:00
You've seen the rest now try the best....Heinie.

www.heinie.com

tango44
07-01-2011, 20:35
You've seen the rest now try the best....Heinie.

www.heinie.com

Which one?

Calico Hunter
07-02-2011, 16:52
I'm going crazy. So many Night Sights, so little time . . .

OK - I put Mepro's on G26, and XS Big Dot's on my G30

I have a lead on shooting a G22 with Ameriglo's ....

After some range-time with the "above" weapons, maybe I'll have a better idea for NS's on my G19 and G23.

And, I thought this was gonna be easy !

stopatrain
07-02-2011, 17:02
Trijicon for me.

mdalle01
07-02-2011, 17:10
I just had Trijicons put on my G26 today at my local gun shop for $95.00. They are very nice!

Singlestack Wonder
07-02-2011, 20:06
Which one?

I recommend the Slant Pro Straight Eight Night Sights. Have them on all Glocks and 1911's.

JBarbaresi
07-02-2011, 21:16
ameriglo I-Dot Pro

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/jbarbaresi/Guns/IMG_0003r.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/jbarbaresi/Guns/IMG_0006.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/jbarbaresi/Guns/IMG_0011.jpg

denn1911
07-02-2011, 22:43
I'd recommend AmeriGlo.

Calico Hunter
07-03-2011, 09:17
Thanks agasin for the info.

The Ameriglo's do look nice ... but, I must ask, where did you get the little American Flag ?

I think I'd ike to put them on my Glock's also

JBarbaresi
07-03-2011, 09:46
Thanks agasin for the info.

The Ameriglo's do look nice ... but, I must ask, where did you get the little American Flag ?

I think I'd ike to put them on my Glock's also

ameriglo (http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock) has a ton of different sights to choose from, the ones i posted are called the I-dot Pro. the operators and pro/pro operators are also very popular for night sights, and the hackathorn sights for target/competition (basically the same as the i-dots but a simple black rear).

i got the slide cover plate from glockmeister (http://www.glockmeister.com/Slide-Cover-Plates/products/81/) but you can find different ones all over, including lonewolfdist.com and ebay. i think its a nice touch, but $20 is kind of steep if you have other stuff you'd rather spend it on.

SDGlock23
07-05-2011, 18:06
My favorite is the Ameriglo Operator, green/green of course!