Need opinions on M&P AR15 Tatical [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on M&P AR15 Tatical

TexasVine
06-22-2011, 13:22
Need opinion on the M&P AR15 Tatical. I'm possibly working on a trade and would like to get some opinions on this rifle prior to a commitment?
Thanks,

M&P15T
06-22-2011, 13:29
If you described how it would be used, you would get better observations.

Plinker?

Heavy use?

Also, could you run a few mags through it before buying it to test it's basic functioning?

TexasVine
06-22-2011, 13:39
If you described how it would be used, you would get better observations.

Plinker?

Heavy use?

Also, could you run a few mags through it before buying it to test it's basic functioning?

It would be used for plinking and hogs mostly. I have an R15 set up for predators already. My trade value on a Dan Wesson Valor is approx. $1350.00 so I was wanting to determine if a M&P AR Tactical with 100 rounds down the barrel was going to be a decent trade and a quality AR for that price range as opposed to just selling out right and moving up to a LaRue. Obviously LaRue is an upgrade but not sure if it would make much of a difference for a play gun.

Thanks

boomhower
06-22-2011, 13:58
Depends on which one it is, there are two versions. The older on has Troy BUIS and a Troy free float rail. The newer one has plastic MBUS and a rail of unknown manufacturer. New or used I wouldn't consider them worth $1350. More like $1100 and being used that is pushing it. There's one of the better Troy models on gunbroker now for $1200. The Larue is vastly superior to the S&W. With the S&W your getting a midtier rifle with nice add-ons. The Larue is a top notch rifle through and through. At $1500 the Predatar is a bargain, I don't see it staying at that price for very long.

AK_Stick
06-22-2011, 14:48
Its really up to you, you'll be taking a slight loss either way.

M&P is worth about 1K at best. Maybe slightly more, if its got some extras like mags, lights or optics.

M&P15T
06-22-2011, 16:52
Its really up to you, you'll be taking a slight loss either way.

M&P is worth about 1K at best. Maybe slightly more, if its got some extras like mags, lights or optics.

The best price I have seen on an original style M&P15T (Troy FF rail & sights) is about $1200.00. The newer, cheaper version might be around 1k, but I haven't found an original at that price. If you know where the OP can get an original 15T for 1k, let him know, that would be a great deal.

Aries4570
06-22-2011, 17:20
My M&P 15 T has the Troy TRX rail, Magpul back up sights, Magpul MIAD Grip, Magpul MOE stock and a 1/7 14.5 chrome lined barrel w/ permanent attached Vortex flash hider.

The rail and sights are not from a "Unknown" manufacturer.

It came with a Magpul P-mag as well.

I agree it is a mid tier rifle but I am happy with it and Smith and Wesson is really stepping it up in terms of quality. It is a much better duty rifle than my Rock River ever was.

carloglock19
06-22-2011, 18:35
I'm also looking at the M&P 15T. I have an M&P15 Standard on layaway at Buds Police Supply but was also looking at the tactical version for a possible upgrade. The advertisement on the Smith and Wesson website and on Buds states that they come with the Troy sights and rail, are we sure that they come with unkown brand? There is also a review on Buds from this month stating that it came with the Troy equipment. :dunno:

cfec2008
06-22-2011, 18:46
I dont know the answer about the trading part, but I love LaRue Tactical!! So if you do end up going that route you will not be dissapointed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AK_Stick
06-23-2011, 00:21
The best price I have seen on an original style M&P15T (Troy FF rail & sights) is about $1200.00. The newer, cheaper version might be around 1k, but I haven't found an original at that price. If you know where the OP can get an original 15T for 1k, let him know, that would be a great deal.

Yes, a new one will go for about 1,200. The one he's looking at in trade, is used.

That means, short of having some aftermarket accessories, mags or ammo ect. Its worth about 1K.

boomhower
06-23-2011, 00:50
I'm also looking at the M&P 15T. I have an M&P15 Standard on layaway at Buds Police Supply but was also looking at the tactical version for a possible upgrade. The advertisement on the Smith and Wesson website and on Buds states that they come with the Troy sights and rail, are we sure that they come with unkown brand? There is also a review on Buds from this month stating that it came with the Troy equipment. :dunno:

Link to new model. (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786010_-1_757785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y)

Link to old model. (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765653_-1____ProductDisplayErrorView_Y)

What Buds has listed is the older model and the better bargain. I would say the new model has a better barrel. Considering you are buying from Bud's Police, what round do you guys shoot? If your lucky and shooting some new tech rounds like 75gr TAP then the newer model will be better with the 1/8 barrel. 1/9 may give you issues with the heavier rounds. But if your like us and still shooting 55gr SP's then either would work fine.

Another option would be the M&P15TS (http://www.budspolicesupply.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3172), it would be my pick of the litter of S&W rifles. A 13" Troy Extreme handguard and a 1/7 barrel sells me. Be aware it's a 14.5" barrel with a fixed Vortex flash hider. For $1097 it's a steal.

Judge Roy Bean
06-23-2011, 07:30
[QUOTE=Another option would be the M&P15TS (http://www.budspolicesupply.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3172), it would be my pick of the litter of S&W rifles. A 13" Troy Extreme handguard and a 1/7 barrel sells me. Be aware it's a 14.5" barrel with a fixed Vortex flash hider. For $1097 it's a steal.[/QUOTE]

Didn't know about this gun. That makes the cheese more binding. Thanks for the heads up.

TexasVine
06-23-2011, 07:50
The rifle I am considering is the tactical model that has the Troy sights and it retailed for $1,928.00. The newer model retails for $1,159.00. And has Magpul sights. Any idea why there was a $700.00 difference (sights?). is the rifle I'm looking at worth that much more at this time.
Thanks.

boomhower
06-23-2011, 09:28
The rifle I am considering is the tactical model that has the Troy sights and it retailed for $1,928.00. The newer model retails for $1,159.00. And has Magpul sights. Any idea why there was a $700.00 difference (sights?). is the rifle I'm looking at worth that much more at this time.
Thanks.

That's just the retail price, the M&P rifles never sell for that much. (at least by anyone who does any amount of shopping) Bud's sells it for $1367 non-police price. The new one they sell for $923. I would buy the new one at that price. It's just a matter of what you can get it for. The differences are the old one has the Troy rails and sights. The new one has plastic magpul sights and an mystery rail. The new one does have a better barrel than the old one. The M&P15TS has a non-police price at buds of $1272, it's a very nice and lightweight Troy rail with magpul sights and the better barrel.

With complete guns the better the accessories the more the cost goes up than what you would pay separately. Best for your money would be to get an M&P OR from CDNN for $700 and add your own accessories. You pay a premium to get the factroy to install the accessories. It's that the police discount at Bud's makes the M&P prices easier to swallow.

93GT
06-23-2011, 11:07
I have the older 15T with the 1/9 16 inch barrel. The thing shoots very well with 55 and 62 grain. 69 grain PP stuff shot out of it nearly as well at my 1 in 8 24" AR-15. If it was me I would go build one from BCM or step up if I wanted to drop more coin. If you are trading your DW Valor, I would make him sweeten the deal or walk away.

carloglock19
06-23-2011, 11:16
Link to new model. (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786010_-1_757785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y)

Link to old model. (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765653_-1____ProductDisplayErrorView_Y)

What Buds has listed is the older model and the better bargain. I would say the new model has a better barrel. Considering you are buying from Bud's Police, what round do you guys shoot? If your lucky and shooting some new tech rounds like 75gr TAP then the newer model will be better with the 1/8 barrel. 1/9 may give you issues with the heavier rounds. But if your like us and still shooting 55gr SP's then either would work fine.

Another option would be the M&P15TS (http://www.budspolicesupply.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3172), it would be my pick of the litter of S&W rifles. A 13" Troy Extreme handguard and a 1/7 barrel sells me. Be aware it's a 14.5" barrel with a fixed Vortex flash hider. For $1097 it's a steal.

Yeah I have that one on my wish/reminder list in case it comes in stock prior to my 90 day layaway. Also don't forget Smith and Wesson has a $100 Nations Finest rebate going on this year so it will bring the price down even more. I'm still undecided, I like the standard look but the tactical would be ready for optics and has the quad rail already installed.....:dunno:

boomhower
06-23-2011, 13:18
Yeah I have that one on my wish/reminder list in case it comes in stock prior to my 90 day layaway. Also don't forget Smith and Wesson has a $100 Nations Finest rebate going on this year so it will bring the price down even more. I'm still undecided, I like the standard look but the tactical would be ready for optics and has the quad rail already installed.....:dunno:

If you want to rail get the T, otherwise the standard is fine. With the Standard just take off the carry handle and add a Troy BUIS for $110 and your still $300 to the good. If you want to add a light/VFG/sling adapter etc. those can all be added to a set of $30 MOE handguards. The biggest difference is if you go with the standard you are going to have the FSP there, which I prefer.