Educate me on 6.8 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on 6.8

JTLIII
06-22-2011, 16:12
I find myself draw back to this caliber time and time again. I don't want the Barrett Rec7, mainly due to the price, but tell me what I need to know. I've recently set up for reloading, so that's an option. Is it a good caliber? What's its effective range? Who (besides noveske) makes a good barrel if I were to build my own?

Kegs
06-22-2011, 16:25
It's like a short .270.

Nice short range alternative for deer hunting with an AR

It will not shoot as flat as the 6.5 Grendel.

It is pimped by Remington (not by small Alexander arms) so it has been marketed much more heavily than the superior cartridge I mentioned above.

JTLIII
06-22-2011, 16:26
Is there an ACR barrel out for this caliber?

JBaird22
06-22-2011, 18:56
Daniel Defense has started making barrels for 6.8. The thing to keep in mind and keep an eye out for is the specs changed on chamber size, barrel twist and rifling grooves (I'm not 100% sure on the rifling grooves part) to decrease chamber pressure. There are now spec I and spec II chambers. You'll want the spec II if you set out on building your own gun.

Personally, I had set out to build one starting in January. I was going to build an upper I could slap on my AR lower and use it for deer hunting. Its now the middle/end of June and I still have a stripped BCM upper, a rifle length gas tube, charging handle and that's it. I have considered buying a 18" 5.56 barrel and building that instead. Too many choices.

faawrenchbndr
06-22-2011, 19:30
I have a Bison Armory barrel. There are more than a few manufacturers making barrels.
You will WANT a 6.8 SPC II chambered barrel, 16", mid-length gas, stainless, 1 in 11 twist.
It's very good to 300m or so. I wanted a deer and hog cartridge in the AR platform.
This one works for me! Here's an old pic with a POS scope. Have since upgraded to a Leupold 3.5-10

Also,......the barrel, bolt & mag are the only parts that need changed to convert.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/Chatterbox68SPCpicII.jpg

JTLIII
06-23-2011, 09:14
I'm definitely going with the newer chamber specs. Need to decide what platform and is this really going to be worth it.

AK_Stick
06-23-2011, 09:18
If you're only ever going to shoot it at paper, I wouldn't go to it. Because in that venue, other than costing more, it doesn't really do anything the 5.56 wont.

If you want to hunt or carry a AR at work, and could swing the 6.8, they're a much more impressive cartridge than the 5.56.

I have a MK 12 Mod 0 SPR in 6.8 that will hopefully take a deer or three this year. Great round, for hunting or shooting people. I would feel comfortable taking up to caribou sized animals with a 6.8.

GearGuru
06-23-2011, 11:37
I have a 16" 6.8 build with a Lothar Walther LW50 stainless with polygonal rifling that is absoulutely accurate to 300M. Had a 6.5 but ammo, mags etc. were too iffy at times. My 6.8 mags have been 100% through about 600 rounds

faawrenchbndr
06-23-2011, 12:29
I'm definitely going with the newer chamber specs. Need to decide what platform and is this really going to be worth it.

Having the 6.8 and a dedicated .22lr,.......I got completely away from .223/5.56

Constructor
06-23-2011, 19:58
I find myself draw back to this caliber time and time again. I don't want the Barrett Rec7, mainly due to the price, but tell me what I need to know. I've recently set up for reloading, so that's an option. Is it a good caliber? What's its effective range? Who (besides noveske) makes a good barrel if I were to build my own?
Go check out www.68forums.com (http://www.68forums.com) it's a bit more tech than here and the guys are happy to help. More reloading data than you will believe.
There are $200 barrels that shoot well under an inch so no need to spend $350 for a barrel.

Durden
06-24-2011, 00:36
Having the 6.8 and a dedicated .22lr,.......I got completely away from .223/5.56

I am soon to make the same transition.