XS front sight won't go in [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : XS front sight won't go in

slickt0mmy
06-22-2011, 16:39
I just bought a set of Big Dot sights for my G19 and the post on the front sight (that goes into the oval shaped hole on the slide) seems to be too big. It just won't go in. I've tried tapping on the sight with a rubber mallet but I'm afraid to hit too hard for fear of damaging the tritium capsule inside. All the installation videos I've watched, the people seem to just drop the sight right in there but that just isn't going to happen with these.
I've thought about taking a small file and running it around the post to slim it down, but I'm not sure if that would void my warranty or not. :dunno:
Anyone have any suggestions?
I've already emailed XS and am waiting on a reply but I thought I'd see if any of you had a similar experience.

RayB
06-22-2011, 16:53
I just bought a set of Big Dot sights for my G19 and the post on the front sight (that goes into the oval shaped hole on the slide) seems to be too big. It just won't go in. I've tried tapping on the sight with a rubber mallet but I'm afraid to hit too hard for fear of damaging the tritium capsule inside. All the installation videos I've watched, the people seem to just drop the sight right in there but that just isn't going to happen with these.
I've thought about taking a small file and running it around the post to slim it down, but I'm not sure if that would void my warranty or not. :dunno:
Anyone have any suggestions?
I've already emailed XS and am waiting on a reply but I thought I'd see if any of you had a similar experience.

Have you confirmed that you have the right XS sight for your Glock 19? :eyebrow:

We had no such install problem with the XS front sight on Judy's G19... :dunno:

Good luck! :wavey:

--Ray

slickt0mmy
06-22-2011, 16:58
Have you confirmed that you have the right XS sight for your Glock 19? :eyebrow:

We had no such install problem with the XS front sight on Judy's G19... :dunno:

Good luck! :wavey:

--Ray

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the packaging says it's for 17, 19, 22-24, 26, etc... so unless they snuck the wrong sight into this packaging I'm not sure what the problem would be.

slickt0mmy
06-22-2011, 19:05
Well, after much frustration, I gave up and decided to take my weekly trip over to my parents'. I brought the sights with me to see if my dad could figure something out and right away he whisked out to his workshop and came back in 45 minutes later with the front sight sitting on the slide. :supergrin: Apparently he had a set of machinist files that were small enough to grind the thing down to size.

Moral of the story: Never underestimate the power of a bored father and his toolbox. :tongueout:

up1911fan
06-22-2011, 19:44
Fitting sight's it one of those "some assembly required" kind of jobs.

slickt0mmy
06-22-2011, 19:56
Fitting sight's it one of those "some assembly required" kind of jobs.

Can you tell this is my first set of aftermarket sights? :whistling: :supergrin:

Snowman92D
06-22-2011, 21:14
Glad it worked out okay. You obviously have the right "contacts" to get things done. :thumbsup:

XDfense
06-23-2011, 07:18
It's not likely but sometimes they do put the wrong sight in the package. I just had a smith install a set of Big Dots on my XD9 Service. When he tried to install the rear sight, something was off. He called XS and the rear sight was actually for a Para 1911. They fed-ex'd one to him and got it installed asap. They've got great customer service.

RayB
06-23-2011, 14:48
Moral of the story: Never underestimate the power of a bored father and his toolbox. :tongueout:

:agree: This! :thumbsup:

As a determined old fart with a tool room, I can promise--I am lethal! :fred:

--Ray

RayB
06-23-2011, 14:51
It's not likely but sometimes they do put the wrong sight in the package. I just had a smith install a set of Big Dots on my XD9 Service. When he tried to install the rear sight, something was off. He called XS and the rear sight was actually for a Para 1911. They fed-ex'd one to him and got it installed asap. They've got great customer service.

My wife, Judy, tried the XD sights on her G19, and they weren't for her, but the quality of the sights was first-rate, and I've consistently heard good things about their customer service! :thumbsup:

--Ray

P.S. I still consider XS Sights to be a viable alternative for a CCW or BUG! ;)

slickt0mmy
06-23-2011, 16:39
I got a reply from XS today and Bo confirmed for me that the best thing to do was to file the post down. He said:
"This happens every now and then. The slot is designed around the
factory squishy plastic front sight so it has a fairly large tolerance
to it. If we made the tab under our sight small enough to fit all the
sizes the slot could be, then in a majority of them it would be very
loose since often as not the slots are on the big end of the tolerance
range."
He also said that filing the sights would not void the warranty unless I filed so hard I ended up breaking the front sight post off.....He gives my strength more credit than it deserves :rofl: But it's still good to know.
So if nothing else, this thread should help anyone else who encounters this and isn't sure what to do. :thumbsup:

wtf0ver
06-24-2011, 09:26
I had to take a dremel to mine just a little to get the front sight to fit