Which model is it that dislikes lights? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which model is it that dislikes lights?

emore
06-22-2011, 19:05
It seems as though I've read something on here about one or more models of Glocks that have trouble operating smoothly with a light on the rails. Can't find it and I certainly can't remember which gun it was. Something about the frame not being able to flex properly under recoil? I'm shooting a local "low-light" match tomorrow night (Thursday) and I don't want to take the wrong Glock with my cheap little light. Anyone have any ideas?

Quentin
06-22-2011, 19:09
You usually hear it's the 22Gen3

elde
06-22-2011, 19:10
Correct.

Dexter
06-22-2011, 19:26
I have fired at least 200 rds through my gen3 23 with my insight SSL-1 attached with out a single problem.

catalyst686
06-22-2011, 19:31
I saw a video where an early model gen 4 Glock 19 would disassemble without pulling the tabs down when dry fired with a tlr-1 attached to it. The video was made by a poster here on glock talk and I believe the issue was resolved with a new recoil spring.

H&K 4 LIFE
06-22-2011, 19:40
The G22 was known to having feeding issues with some tactical lights mounted.

Glock corrected the issue by going from a ten coil magazine spring to a stronger eleven coil magazine spring.

If you look at page 11 of your Glock Armorers Manual Addendum, you will notice this is mentioned in the parts list. :)

Chowser
06-22-2011, 19:51
We had issues with our gen3 22s. EPK serial.

New mag springs fixed our problem, then we switched to Glock 31s and had no issues with those.

to catalyst: wow, only way i know for the slide to come off from pulling the trigger is if the slide lock is put in backwards. i'll have to look for that video.

buellxb9rider
06-23-2011, 19:34
we use lights on our work 22c's.never had any trouble and we use range mags definetly nothing special.

fuzzy03cls
06-24-2011, 08:30
Gen 3 40's. G22 & G23. Gen 4's are fine, 9mm's are fine.

emore
06-24-2011, 10:37
I used my Gen 4 G19 with a cheap little light on it last night at a "Low light" match and it worked perfectly. The only problem was that it kept running out of ammo! Time AND bullets fly when you're having fun.

voyager4520
06-24-2011, 15:34
The Gen3 G22 and Gen3 G23. Most don't have any problem operating with a light attached, some do.

Glock believed the added weight of the light, or the lack of flex in the frame because of the light, increased the slide speed so that the top round in the magazine couldn't rise fast enough. Glock's fix was to switch the 10-coil G22 magazine springs with 11-coil springs. They did not similarly "upgrade" G23 magazine springs, G23 magazines still use the same 9-coil springs they always did. If you have a problem with your G23 with a light attached, I'd suggest trying a 10-coil G17 magazine spring in one of your G23 magazines. If it works perfectly with that magazine, upgrade the rest of your springs.

I personally believe it's awfully suspicious that this problem never presented itself earlier. The problem popped up at about the same time Glock released the ambi-cut magazine tubes. Myself and a few other users here had problems with the new G23 magazine tubes, and quite a few .357SIG owners particularly G32 owners were having similar problems with the new magazines. I fixed my magazine by cutting the excess plastic away from in front of the feed lips and rounding off the plastic nubs under the feed lips, other G23 owners fixed theirs by using 10-coil magazine springs in place of the 9-coil. Some G32 owners removed those nubs under the feed lips entirely and that fixed their failure to feed problems.

The problem with those magazines was basically that the excess plastic at the front of the feed lips had not been removed by Glock like it had on previous magazine tube designs. Also that the plastic "nubs" under the front of the feed lips were repositioned, made bigger, reached more shallow into the tube, and had much more abrupt angle changes on them. The result was that the top round and therefore the entire stack of rounds rose more slowly than it had in previous magazine tube designs.

furioso2112
06-24-2011, 15:57
All the models I date LOVE lights - I sometimes blink a flashlight just to see them pose. It works especially well during arguments, something like this:

me: hey sweetheart, you're so skinny you're spine is deforming to hold up your mresat implants
her: (in a starved, near-shock scream) You're so cruel! I'm trying to get down to my birth weight! You never...

*flash*

her: (swiftly turning her head, craning her neck, and smiling widely) oooh, was that a camera? where is it? I hope they get my good side...did I sign a release yet?

FyreCalG17
06-24-2011, 16:02
we use lights on our work 22c's.never had any trouble and we use range mags definetly nothing special.
EPK serials?

Gallium
06-24-2011, 17:22
Glock 7.

G19ftw
06-24-2011, 17:26
My G23 didn't like the light with the 9mm conversion, but I know it was the conversion barrel's fault. Other than that I never had problems with any Glocks with lights.

hump
06-24-2011, 17:57
How did you like the low light match? I ran a +5 extension on my 19 mags and had plenty of rounds.

cole
06-24-2011, 17:59
Gen3 G22 and G23. Most ran. Many would not regardless of "fixes" tried AND it was even dependent on the light used. My G23 was the latter. It would run the Glock light (but would throw it off the rail) and the M3. Would NOT run a TLR1 or TLR2. A 9mm Glock fixed my G23 issues. Glock fixed the.40sw intermittent light issue via the Gen4.

fastbolt
06-24-2011, 18:04
It's been reported by some users of the G22/23 series guns for some time.

I heard a Glock rep first mention it back in 2004. (It was in connection with the issues reported by the FBI when lights were attached to their guns, and which resulted in the 11-coil mag spring being adopted in the G22 mags.) I don't know how much earlier it may have been occurring (if it was), though, as I was only paying occasional attention to Glocks chambered in .40 S&W before that time.

I listened to another Glock armorer express his frustration in not being able to resolve the issue with his issued G23 in 2007.

I spoke with a Glock armorer who was trying to resolve the problem for his agency's G22's back in 2009.

I'd think the new recoil spring assembly in the Gen4 would go a long way toward resolving this issue (and probably not as a coincidence) from the equipment perspective.

In my last armorer recert we were told the locking block has been changed in the compact Gen4's, and the new parts list reflects a Gen4 specific locking block for the G19/23's. (Bear in mind that there was a locking block change back mid-2002, too.) Dunno the reason. Didn't ask.

Then, there's been the various magazine & follower revisions in the .40's in recent years.

Glock can only do so much from the equipment design perspective, though. They can't control everything once the guns leave the factory and are in the hands of folks shooting them. The shooter, maintenance practices, ammunition and conditions in which they're used ... as well as whatever influence may exist when non-Glock/aftermarket equipment is used on the gun ... are still going to remain significant factors when any gun is being used in someone's hands.

Any combination of particular gun, user, light and ammunition should be checked during live-fire conditions to confirm proper functioning and operation prior to being used in actual service, if only to confirm everything is in good condition and working as intended and desired.

emore
06-24-2011, 18:58
How did you like the low light match? I ran a +5 extension on my 19 mags and had plenty of rounds.

It was fun while it lasted, all one minute and six seconds worth. I emptied two regular magazines and loaded a third but only shot a few rounds out of number three. Where do you shoot? And how do you come out? I knew I'd done pretty p-poor after shooting the "no shoot" but I had to get home before the scores came out.

DOrth
06-24-2011, 20:59
I've heard it was some Gen 3 22's and 23's too. Haven't had any issues at my agency or heard of any at any neighboring agencies. I don't doubt that there have been though.