Forward grip positioning [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Forward grip positioning

catalyst686
06-22-2011, 20:16
I've noticed in the AR pic thread that people have their grips either mounted towards the business end of the barrel or around the middle position of the barrel. What I would like to know is what position works for you and why it does. Is a grip that is further forward allow for a "thumbs forward" grip? Does that help you with accuracy? Does a closer grip allow for faster manipulations? I feel like I can maintain a more stable hold on my rifle with the grip being further forward as it seems to add a tighter hold, at the same time, I notice my arm that is holding the grip in the further out position becoming fatigued quickly which i don't like. Thanks for all the responses!

boomhower
06-22-2011, 21:13
I mount mine as far out as I can bout keep the upper fingers Fromm getting burnned. I'm planning on moving toa handstop to drop them completely

ColdBlooded
06-22-2011, 21:41
Here is a breakdown by ssdsurf. Pretty informative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77p7kukuxVs&feature=channel_video_title

I would rather link it than embed it.

lawman800
06-22-2011, 22:40
I have mine mounted pretty rearward as I find that works best for me. I see Magpul styles where it is way forward so they can use their grip stance to thrust the gun out more.

It doesn't matter what anyone else likes, it's what works for you.

MrMurphy
06-22-2011, 23:59
I run a 7" rail because it's what I used when I was in, and go for the 'mid' grip.

If I had an 11 or 12" i'd run it a little further out.

lawman800
06-23-2011, 00:06
One other thought, modifying a weapon because of a trend when it doesn't work for you is the worst thing you can do. Run whatever works for you even if people think it is outdated or not in style because the latest MagPul fanboy video doesn't show it that way.

AK_Stick
06-23-2011, 00:15
I run a mid grip, so I can activate my surefire with my thumb.

Once I get the tape switch port replaced so I can run a tape switch, I'll convert back to a as far out as I can get it shooter.

K. Foster
06-23-2011, 06:51
The farther out your hand is, the more control you have over recoil. Also, you’ll be faster swinging the rifle from target to target during multiple threat drills. But I agree with what others have said, do what works for you.

shadow65
06-23-2011, 11:45
I use a stubby grip mid way. I basically use it as a hand stop.
The "forward most grip" may be better for follow up shots, and it is the Magpul flavor of the day, but it will fatigue you quickly.
Dave

JASV.17
06-23-2011, 12:10
I started out mid-rail (7"). I discovered that putting it further out, was a great improvement. I can better control recoil and transition targets faster and more accurate. I use a thumb-forward hold, my pointer finger rests right under the bottom of the rail.

Pic for reference:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm13/postanon/IMG00280-20110510-1937.jpg

I understand the further-out grip. It's nothing new, just getting popular, I think in part to Magpul. It's even been popular in the comp world for a long time. I read and saw pictures somewhere, of guys in Nam holding further out as well. Just not for me.

bullittmcqueen
06-23-2011, 14:06
As far forward as possible. In my case, after shooting competitive sporting clays/skeet my whole life, it's where my hand naturally falls on the rifle. It also makes driving the rifle much easier (feels the same as driving my shotgun on clays)

fuzzy03cls
06-24-2011, 08:43
I use carbine KAC rails & grips. I keep it more rear mounted. This way I can use the grip or wrap my hand around the top & use the grip as a hand stop. And It's easier to activate my light.