opinions on best AR for around a grand? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : opinions on best AR for around a grand?

Shasta McNasty
06-22-2011, 23:06
here's the ones i'm thinking of:

Daniel Defense
Rock River Arms
Stag Arms

i don't want to build one, just buy one.

thanks for any input/experiences with these or other models :wavey:

pleaforwar
06-22-2011, 23:41
First question, what usage are you expecting out of this rifle?

JBnTX
06-22-2011, 23:57
Colt 6920!:thumbsup:

MrMurphy
06-22-2011, 23:58
Of the three, for that price, the DD is the only one i'd consider.

A BCM, Colt, DD around the same price would all get my interest. But again, what are you using it for.

boomhower
06-22-2011, 23:59
Colt LE6920 (http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=COLT-LE6920) for carbine length, end of story for carbine length. For a first rifle you can't really go wrong here. No frills but top notch quality through and through. They literally wrote the book.

Daniel Defense XVM (http://www.smartgunner.com/Daniel-Defense-M4-Mid-XVM.aspx) for midlength if you can find one, they evidently quite producing their lower end guns since they have gotten more popular and can't hardly get enough of their high end stuff out the door.

Spikes Tactical is also another option for midlength but I have reservations about their business practices, guns are good to go and you will get what you order.

RRA and Stag are both a step below anything else listed.

Shasta McNasty
06-23-2011, 00:05
First question, what usage are you expecting out of this rifle?

hey watsup, plea. it's hal-9000 from the ar15 armory lol

A BCM, Colt, DD around the same price would all get my interest. But again, what are you using it for.

just target shooting/defense. not planning on shooting matches, so i don't need hair spitting accuracy at 1,000 yards lol

just something reliable, durable, and accurate enough for these purposes. good cust serv is a big consideration for me as well. i want a company that pays shipping if there's a prob.

what do you guys think of carbine vs. mid length gas systems?

like i said, not looking to build, just buy. thanks :)

boomhower
06-23-2011, 00:14
hey watsup, plea. it's hal-9000 from the ar15 armory lol

just target shooting/defense. not planning on shooting matches, so i don't need hair spitting accuracy at 1,000 yards lol

just something reliable, durable, and accurate enough for these purposes. good cust serv is a big consideration for me as well. i want a company that pays shipping if there's a prob.

like i said, not looking to build, just buy. thanks :)

Colt is the best gun for the money but their CS flat out sucks right now. Get a Daniel Defense then. Their customer service is top notch and the gun is every bit as good as Colts. I would go with the XVM if you can find one. If not, the EZ (http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1DD20017&groupid=11)will fit the bill just fine. I've got two DD's and if I ever SBR there will be a third. I've got two DD rifles and if I ever SBR there will be a third.

Do a search on carbine vs midlength and you will get a ton of threads. For a 16" rifle here a little primer:
-slightly softer recoil, debatable
-less wear on internal parts, debatable and most people will never shoot enough rounds to know anyways
-longer site radius for better accuracy
-longer rail/handguard is a boon for longer armed folks.

It's nothing earth shattering. But for a 16" rifle there really is not good reason not go middy all other things being equal. 14.5" is debatable but I vote middy. Shorter than that and carbine is the way to go. Like I said, just do a search and you'll have enough reading to keep you busy for hours. Also hit up m4carbine.net, lots of good info over there.

Shasta McNasty
06-23-2011, 00:39
Colt is the best gun for the money but their CS flat out sucks right now. Get a Daniel Defense then. Their customer service is top notch and the gun is every bit as good as Colts. I would go with the XVM if you can find one. If not, the EZ (http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1DD20017&groupid=11)will fit the bill just fine. I've got two DD's and if I ever SBR there will be a third. I've got two DD rifles and if I ever SBR there will be a third.

Do a search on carbine vs midlength and you will get a ton of threads. For a 16" rifle here a little primer:
-slightly softer recoil, debatable
-less wear on internal parts, debatable and most people will never shoot enough rounds to know anyways
-longer site radius for better accuracy
-longer rail/handguard is a boon for longer armed folks.

It's nothing earth shattering. But for a 16" rifle there really is not good reason not go middy all other things being equal. 14.5" is debatable but I vote middy. Shorter than that and carbine is the way to go. Like I said, just do a search and you'll have enough reading to keep you busy for hours. Also hit up m4carbine.net, lots of good info over there.

is the carbine length more reliable with a variety of loads? i hear the mid length may have short stroking. thanx

Shasta McNasty
06-23-2011, 00:40
Colt LE6920 (http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=COLT-LE6920) for carbine length, end of story for carbine length. For a first rifle you can't really go wrong here. No frills but top notch quality through and through. They literally wrote the book.

Daniel Defense XVM (http://www.smartgunner.com/Daniel-Defense-M4-Mid-XVM.aspx) for midlength if you can find one, they evidently quite producing their lower end guns since they have gotten more popular and can't hardly get enough of their high end stuff out the door.

Spikes Tactical is also another option for midlength but I have reservations about their business practices, guns are good to go and you will get what you order.

RRA and Stag are both a step below anything else listed.

why do you consider RRA and STAG a step below? thanks

also, i forgot to mention i want a quad rail to attached a vertical grip and trl-1, and also m4 feed ramps, properly staked gas key/castle nut.

MrMurphy
06-23-2011, 06:26
Quality control. In this biz you DO get what you pay for. (Used to work for a manufacturer).

Stags and RRAs aren't bad plinkers but odds are higher on needing to do more 'after' work to get the gun correct, where as a Colt or BCM will come that way from the box as it should be.

Quadrail: Troy or LaRue.

Captains1911
06-23-2011, 06:41
BCM would be my choice

stopatrain
06-23-2011, 06:42
Colt 6920

Captains1911
06-23-2011, 06:48
Colt 6920

As I agree somewhat, I don't think a 6920 can be found for around $1000, perhaps I'm wrong.

zhix
06-23-2011, 07:22
I don't know what, if anything other than the receiver markings, is different between a Colt LE 6920 and the new SPorter 6920, but I have seen the Sporter for $1040 so far and I believe one could be had for under $1025 from a good dealer.

ColdBlooded
06-23-2011, 07:30
Gt Dist. carries the 6920 for just under a grand.

That being said, I would go with a midlength from Spike's, DD, or BCM, in no particular order. I am in the process of building a middy which will most likely have a DD lightweight middy barrel, Spike's upper, and Troy TRX Extreme rail.

boomhower
06-23-2011, 09:39
why do you consider RRA and STAG a step below? thanks

also, i forgot to mention i want a quad rail to attached a vertical grip and trl-1, and also m4 feed ramps, properly staked gas key/castle nut.

You can get a drop-in rail later down the line. Don't worry about hanging junk off of it right away. Get the gun and SHOOT it. Take a class. Learn irons. After you've put some rounds down range you will get a feel for what you want. Don't worry about it right off the bat. Get a quality rifle as a base and worry about modifications later. Don't get a lower quality rifle just because it has a crap quad rail installed.(at the price range you are in it will be a crap rail)

As I agree somewhat, I don't think a 6920 can be found for around $1000, perhaps I'm wrong.

In post #5 I put a link to the LE6920 for $995 at GT Dist. I wouldn't recommend the OP to buy one if you couldn't be had within his budget, that would just be a dick move and stupid.

I don't know what, if anything other than the receiver markings, is different between a Colt LE 6920 and the new SPorter 6920, but I have seen the Sporter for $1040 so far and I believe one could be had for under $1025 from a good dealer.

The only difference is the rollmarks. I think the LE6920 will have better resale value due to the rollmark. Some like it and some don't. Mall ninjas like the restricted marking and will pay for it. If it doesn't matter either way to you and can get the LE model for the same money your getting a better bargain.

Captains1911
06-23-2011, 11:32
In post #5 I put a link to the LE6920 for $995 at GT Dist. I wouldn't recommend the OP to buy one if you couldn't be had within his budget, that would just be a dick move and stupid.

Sorry, I missed that link, for that price I would go with the 6920 then.

Jr.
06-23-2011, 14:49
Colt 6520, I prefer the fixed carry handle. CDNN has a good deal on them.

Shasta McNasty
06-23-2011, 15:05
did some reading, what are "H buffers" and "o-rings"? there's too many options for AR's :wow: lol

(is the h-buffer the Mil-spec buffer tube i read about?)

also, i noticed there's space between the upper and lower receivers on the DD ones i've looked at, but not at all on the RRA ones. i've read that this space can cause the receivers to slam eachother during firing. seems the tighter fit of the RRA ones would be better. what's the story on that?

thanx

WayaX
06-23-2011, 16:36
did some reading, what are "H buffers" and "o-rings"? there's too many options for AR's :wow: lol

(is the h-buffer the Mil-spec buffer tube i read about?)

also, i noticed there's space between the upper and lower receivers on the DD ones i've looked at, but not at all on the RRA ones. i've read that this space can cause the receivers to slam eachother during firing. seems the tighter fit of the RRA ones would be better. what's the story on that?

thanx

Check out M4carbine.net for good information. As far as receiver gap goes, it is normal and nothing bad will come of it. For $1000 you can get a much nicer rifle than RRA or Stag. DD was your best choice. You can get a Colt or BCM for around that too.

internal
06-23-2011, 16:39
BCM complete upper.

Piece together a lower with whatever deals are out there on lowers, lpk's and stock kits.

Shasta McNasty
06-23-2011, 16:56
Check out M4carbine.net for good information. As far as receiver gap goes, it is normal and nothing bad will come of it. For $1000 you can get a much nicer rifle than RRA or Stag. DD was your best choice. You can get a Colt or BCM for around that too.

i actually did a thread on m4carbine, and the mod was a complete condescending d-bag lol, and then this mod ass-kisser came onto the thread defending him and acting just as obnoxious. lol no one offered me any info other than they only recommend AR's made by their site sponsors.

i won't be back there. never been on such an unfriendly site.

i don't mind a little attitude, but they weren't answering ANY of my questions, they were simply acting like obnoxious turds lol. having knowledge doesn't do me any good when you don't want to share it.

Lee-online
06-23-2011, 18:20
Stag is a great rifle and it will do everything you need it to.
Their customer service is top notch. They emailed me a ups label so i could send my receiver back and everything was fixed at no cost at all to me. It has a lifetime warranty. You can buy a stag and not have to wait weeks or months to get one.

Read this thread,

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1345743

zhix
06-23-2011, 18:48
IME Stag Arms customer service blows.
I picked up my rifle in mid-January, six months, 3 unsuccessful trips back to the factory, and several phone calls and e-mails later my rifle is finally working properly and has all or most of the correct parts.

Scattergun1187
06-23-2011, 19:07
BCM, LMT are GTG.

Alaskapopo
06-23-2011, 19:28

Daniel Defense
Rock River Arms
Stag Arms

Of the three you mention Daniel Defense is the best. Stag would be next and then RRA. I have owned all three.
Pat

Ferdinandd
06-23-2011, 19:31
I'm no expert. I have a lot of experience with other firearms (mostly pistols) and limited experience with ARs. However, I just received my Spike's mid-lenght and am very pleased with the rifle - fit, finish, function, controls, accuracy, are all excellent in my observation. Customer service from Spike's was unimpressive, as they have reached a point where they now won't even provide a lead time. That said, I'd buy another and hope to sometime. Waiting on another will be easier now that I already have one.

Spike's customer service is not uncommon for custom/low production/mid to high quality gun/parts makers that I've dealt with. I've been waiting 15 months for a custom barrel (not AR) from what I consider to be one of the best makers, and that's just part of the deal.

Roostmonkey
06-23-2011, 20:34
Colt all the way. Buy once, cry once.

Alaskapopo
06-23-2011, 21:16
Colt all the way. Buy once, cry once.

Colt is good but they are weak in some areas. For example they are slow to innovate. They do not have a mid lenght system yet and their 6940 would have been fine 10 years ago. I sold my Colt 6920 great gun did well but there are better guns out there now.
Pat

Feanor
06-23-2011, 21:28

Daniel Defense
Rock River Arms
Stag Arms

All are decent, the DD being much more then decent. You can also obtain Colt's 6920 carbines from online sources somewhere between $1,000 & $1,100. I've personally seen 6940 carbines listed at under $1,400 at Bud's.

MistoGators
06-23-2011, 21:30
You can get a drop-in rail later down the line. Don't worry about hanging junk off of it right away. Get the gun and SHOOT it. Take a class. Learn irons. After you've put some rounds down range you will get a feel for what you want. Don't worry about it right off the bat. Get a quality rifle as a base and worry about modifications later. Don't get a lower quality rifle just because it has a crap quad rail installed.(at the price range you are in it will be a crap rail)
The only difference is the rollmarks. I think the LE6920 will have better resale value due to the rollmark. Some like it and some don't. Mall ninjas like the restricted marking and will pay for it. If it doesn't matter either way to you and can get the LE model for the same money your getting a better bargain.
I thought that was the price for law enforcement personnel only? If not, that's a huge steal, even cheaper than CDNN and and Clyde Armory.

Feanor
06-23-2011, 21:32
Colt is good but they are weak in some areas. For example they are slow to innovate.

Oh, when did Colt's become passe?

boomhower
06-23-2011, 21:41
i actually did a thread on m4carbine, and the mod was a complete condescending d-bag lol, and then this mod ass-kisser came onto the thread defending him and acting just as obnoxious. lol no one offered me any info other than they only recommend AR's made by their site sponsors.

i don't mind a little attitude, but they weren't answering ANY of my questions, they were simply acting like obnoxious turds lol. having knowledge doesn't do me any good when you don't want to share it.

They can be dicks but they know what their talking about for the most part. They recommend rifles by site sponsors because they are what works. They don't recommend "commercial" brands. They recommend what works and is built right. BCM, LMT, Colt, DD, Noveske, Larue, etc. I remember the thread your talking about.

Colt is good but they are weak in some areas. For example they are slow to innovate. They do not have a mid lenght system yet and their 6940 would have been fine 10 years ago. I sold my Colt 6920 great gun did well but there are better guns out there now.
Pat

Better for $1k, I'd argue that. Just as good, certainly. I don't own a Colt and until they offer a midlength I never will. But I don't see what you are going to get much better for the money.

ColdBlooded
06-23-2011, 22:03
I thought that was the price for law enforcement personnel only? If not, that's a huge steal, even cheaper than CDNN and and Clyde Armory.

It is NOT for LE only. It is readily available to civilians.

Teecher45
06-23-2011, 23:43
Colt's not innovative. Well I guess the same could be said for most 1911 manufactures. But when you find one that shoots everything/everytime, it really makes you smile.
A little over a year ago I was in the same boat. A few friends (that know a lot more about AR's than I do) suggested I save a little longer and buy a 6920. Best (gun) decision I ever made.

Shasta McNasty
06-23-2011, 23:44
the reason i wouldn't buy a colt is their hit or miss cust serv. to me, that means it's miss. not to mention their QC isn't what it used to be. it's something i've seen time and time again with their 1911's.

Shasta McNasty
06-23-2011, 23:48
They can be dicks but they know what their talking about for the most part. They recommend rifles by site sponsors because they are what works. They don't recommend "commercial" brands. They recommend what works and is built right. BCM, LMT, Colt, DD, Noveske, Larue, etc. I remember the thread your talking about.

yep you're right, they sure are dicks lol, and they didn't answer any questions, so they were basically wasting my time. their internet commando attitudes don't impress me. i need info lol :)

yeah, at this point, i'm leaning towards DD, or possibly spikes, how's ther cust serv/quality? seem to have decent prices on their site. :)

Better for $1k, I'd argue that. Just as good, certainly. I don't own a Colt and until they offer a midlength I never will. But I don't see what you are going to get much better for the money.

why do you prefer mid-length? thanx

Teecher45
06-23-2011, 23:50
Well... I can't speak to their CS, I've never had to use them.
If I was going to base my decision on CS only, I'd probably look at S&W.
Also I believe (I am in no way an expert) the products that come from Colt Defense is supposed to be a little better on QC.
Like I said, i was in your position not long ago and spent a lot of time shooting other people's AR's and seeking advice of people I trusted and knew what they are talking about. My advice is to shoot as many different types as you can before making your final decision. In the end it isn't what we like, it is what fits you the best. I would suggest you take the time to buy exactly what you want, buy once, cry once. Good luck!

MrMurphy
06-24-2011, 00:48
Upper and lower fit do not affect accuracy. You will ALWAYS get some movement there except on a very few rifles, and in the end, it does not affect accuracy.

Colt does not really innovate, true, mostly because they're busy building guns for the military and they've had tough times financially for the last 20 years, they're not going out on any limbs.

Between DD and Spikes, it's not even a question. DD. Spikes is a hobby gun. Not bad, but not the same league.

boomhower
06-24-2011, 00:49
yeah, at this point, i'm leaning towards DD, or possibly spikes, how's ther cust serv/quality? seem to have decent prices on their site. :)

why do you prefer mid-length? thanx

DD's CS is top notch. I can't speak from experience on Spikes but general consensus seems to be they have good CS.

See post #7 for my thoughts on middy's.

Shasta McNasty
06-24-2011, 01:24
Upper and lower fit do not affect accuracy. You will ALWAYS get some movement there except on a very few rifles, and in the end, it does not affect accuracy.

Colt does not really innovate, true, mostly because they're busy building guns for the military and they've had tough times financially for the last 20 years, they're not going out on any limbs.

Between DD and Spikes, it's not even a question. DD. Spikes is a hobby gun. Not bad, but not the same league.

thanks for clarifying that "receiver rocking" issue i read about. :)

DD's CS is top notch. I can't speak from experience on Spikes but general consensus seems to be they have good CS.

See post #7 for my thoughts on middy's.

ok lol i think i'm getting DD. man, i had a chance to get a hardly fired v2(i think) the other day for $1,100. it was the one with the lightweight quad rail. probably gone by now lol

Shasta McNasty
06-24-2011, 01:30
oh! what version do i need? i'd like the lightweight rail DD, if it's in my price range. i'm not 100% sure which version is which though. i want the carbine length barrel, not the full size.

also, still unsure of mid length gas vs. carbine length gas systems. what are advantages to either? thanx (from what i've been reading, sounds like midlength gas is the way to go...)

thanks again for all the kind input (MUCH kinder than m4carbine lol) :)

MrMurphy
06-24-2011, 04:12
Get a Mid. No reason not to.

My personal rifle is essentially an exact clone of what I carried professionally, so i went carbine length, but mids do shoot softer and tend to bang the parts around less.

Alaskapopo
06-24-2011, 04:31
Oh, when did Colt's become passe?

Not saying they make poor rifles. They make good rifles. The options however are limited. With BCM for example you can get what you want and have a life time warranty. A Colt is not a bad choice if they have exactly what you want.
Pat

Feanor
06-24-2011, 14:13
Not saying they make poor rifles. They make good rifles. The options however are limited.

I see these as two different things, on the one hand you're right, Colt's is slow to the game, they always have been, it's something they are notorious for. On the other hand, I do know exactly what I'm getting from my 6920 & 6940 carbines, thats why I run with Colt's, and thats why DoD runs with them.

BBJones
06-24-2011, 14:44
To OP-

if spending a $1k on a rifle I would get the cheapest plain jane flattop I could find of the following makers in no order:
BCM
DD
Colt
LMT

other things to consider. In a 16" barrel a midlength gas system makes alot of sense. IMO I would not a 16" carbine gas system as my first choice. That means you are down to BCM and DD. Both companies have great CS and high quality rifles. Buy whichever you find cheaper. Shoot it & enjoy it. only after you have used it a bit decide what upgrades you want.

MistoGators
06-24-2011, 15:51
It is NOT for LE only. It is readily available to civilians.
I wasn't talking about the rifle itself. I was talking about the price. Is the $995 a discounted price for law enforcement personnel, or is that deal for everyone?

Shasta McNasty
06-24-2011, 15:59
To OP-

if spending a $1k on a rifle I would get the cheapest plain jane flattop I could find of the following makers in no order:
BCM
DD
Colt
LMT

other things to consider. In a 16" barrel a midlength gas system makes alot of sense. IMO I would not a 16" carbine gas system as my first choice. That means you are down to BCM and DD. Both companies have great CS and high quality rifles. Buy whichever you find cheaper. Shoot it & enjoy it. only after you have used it a bit decide what upgrades you want.

i apprecieate it. i'm going with DD. does anyone know what version is the one i want (V2, V3, etc.)? i want the carbine barrel, mid length gas. thanx (the DD defense website is no help lol)

ColdBlooded
06-24-2011, 16:51
I wasn't talking about the rifle itself. I was talking about the price. Is the $995 a discounted price for law enforcement personnel, or is that deal for everyone?

I would have mentioned if it was a LE price. The only brands that are "Restricted" to LE only are:

From GT Dist:
GLOCK Sales from our Texas Store: Due to our contract with Glock the following Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kansas, Georgia, Florida and Missouri customers can purchase Glock pistols from GT:

Sworn Law Enforcement officers, including Federal, State, County, & City. Includes retired L.E. officers with "retired" credentials

EMT’s, Fire Fighters, Volunteer Fire Fighters, and Paramedics

Military personnel including Reservists and National Guard with I.D. - Includes retired Military with "retired" credentials

Corrections Officers, including Parole and Probation Officers

State Licensed Security Companies (Loomis, RAM, etc.) State Licensed Armed Security Officers

Court Judges, District Attorneys and Deputy District Attorneys.

LE Academy Cadets with enrollment documentation from the Academy

GLOCK Sport Shooting Foundation (GSSF) members with current gun purchase card. Not for immediate sale of pistol on membership

The GSSF GLOCK Pistol Purchase Card will be issued to a GSSF Annual Member
renewing an annual membership for a 2nd consecutive year .

The GSSF GLOCK Pistol Purchase Card will be issued to a GSSF ‘Two-Year’, ‘Three
Year’, ‘Five Year’ or ‘Lifetime’ Member with their initial membership card.

Sales of FNH USA products, Springfield, and Kahr weapons are limited to Law enforcement and Military personnel.
Sales of Ruger products, are limited to Law enforcement, only.
Sales of Sig Sauer weapons, parts, and accessories are limited to Law enforcement and Military personnel in the following states. TX, AR, NM, LA, GA, TN and OK.

BBJones
06-25-2011, 18:19
i apprecieate it. i'm going with DD. does anyone know what version is the one i want (V2, V3, etc.)? i want the carbine barrel, mid length gas. thanx (the DD defense website is no help lol)

https://danieldefense.com/rifles/mid-length.html

You have to decide if you want a LW or Gov't profile barrel and whether you want a FSB or rail over low profile gasblock

Shasta McNasty
06-25-2011, 20:28
https://danieldefense.com/rifles/mid-length.html

You have to decide if you want a LW or Gov't profile barrel and whether you want a FSB or rail over low profile gasblock

thank you for the link. there are too many options for AR's :wow: lol

i want the LW barrel one, and i don't really need that full length rail that extends past the front site. i don't like gripping rifles that far forward (i know that's all the rage now lol)

surf
06-25-2011, 21:20
i actually did a thread on m4carbine, and the mod was a complete condescending d-bag lol, and then this mod ass-kisser came onto the thread defending him and acting just as obnoxious. lol no one offered me any info other than they only recommend AR's made by their site sponsors.I would be interested in seeing this thread. You can PM me the info if you prefer to keep it private. As for the common suggestions on base rifles, it is pretty much along the same lines as those suggestions you have been given here. Also see below quote as to why they often suggest certain manufacturers.

They can be dicks but they know what their talking about for the most part. They recommend rifles by site sponsors because they are what works. They don't recommend "commercial" brands. They recommend what works and is built right. BCM, LMT, Colt, DD, Noveske, Larue, etc. I remember the thread your talking about. I would be interested in viewing that thread.

RMTactical
06-25-2011, 21:34
Spikes, DD, BCM, all are good choices.

Z28ricer
06-25-2011, 23:34
I was in the same boat, got the 6920, locally for 1150, I consider that "around" 1000...

Im happy with my purchase.

jem375
06-26-2011, 09:33

i don't mind a little attitude, but they weren't answering ANY of my questions, they were simply acting like obnoxious turds lol. having knowledge doesn't do me any good when you don't want to share it. That is a snobbish site, either dealers or trainers trying to sell their products and they look down on most manufacturers they are not selling, bunch of creeps...

glock031
06-26-2011, 10:03
Here's a minor shanagans thread.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=77951

is this a PSA thread or a G&R thread?

They deleted the post that asked this question but missed the one that quoted it......too funny! :tongueout:

rkwrichard
06-26-2011, 11:47

Daniel Defense
Rock River Arms
Stag Arms

Any of these will be fine but I would have added colt to that list.

Shasta McNasty
06-26-2011, 19:07
That is a snobbish site, either dealers or trainers trying to sell their products and they look down on most manufacturers they are not selling, bunch of creeps...

yep! they are bunch of creeps lol the mods only recommend site sponsor products without answering any of your questions (and they're very obnoxious about it). noticed a lot of members on there kiss the mod's and "industry insider's" asses too lol

the response i've gotten on this site is MUCH nicer. i appreciate it guys :)

They deleted the post that asked this question but missed the one that quoted it......too funny! :tongueout:

i tried finding the thread that i started. looks like they deleted it after i told that mod what i thought of his d-bag posts lol

Crazy KD
06-26-2011, 19:35
I went through this about a year ago and I was looking at Colt and LMT. After digging around doing my research to determine exactly what I wanted on my rifle, I determined that a stock rifle would just be a base that cost me 'around' $1,000 and then I would have to begin to upgrade it.

So then I decided that I was going the fully assembled lower (LMT) and fully assembled upper (BCM) which lasted a short while until I couldn't find a local assembled lower. The dealer at the gun show was out of fully assembled lowers that show.

Then I ended up assembling the lower myself (Palmetto State Armory which is cool since it is local) and BCM upper. Once you start down this process you'll figure out that you want this specific rifling, back up sight, sling mount, grip, etc. Building your own just ends up being easier.

mike g35
06-26-2011, 19:48
I know what you guys are gonna think but have you taken a close look at bushmaster? I shoot a NM model and my rifle will eat anyhting I feed it and its as accurate as any other AR-15 I have seen at the range. I had a carbine but it didnt serve my purposes (NRA high power).

MajorD
06-26-2011, 19:50
I'd go Colt myself if I could (the le restricted guns are not legal for civilian posession in my state) customer service isn't important if the gun is right to begin with which is much more likely with a Colt ar than just about any other.

Shasta McNasty
06-26-2011, 20:15
I know what you guys are gonna think but have you taken a close look at bushmaster? I shoot a NM model and my rifle will eat anyhting I feed it and its as accurate as any other AR-15 I have seen at the range. I had a carbine but it didnt serve my purposes (NRA high power).

i actually fired an older model bushmaster that was a dead reliable tac driver.....

Alaskapopo
06-26-2011, 23:24
yep! they are bunch of creeps lol the mods only recommend site sponsor products without answering any of your questions (and they're very obnoxious about it). noticed a lot of members on there kiss the mod's and "industry insider's" asses too lol

i tried finding the thread that i started. looks like they deleted it after i told that mod what i thought of his d-bag posts lol

M4 carbine is a good site in my experience. They require people to talk about things they have actual knowledge about. They don't tolerate posers. They do have some jerks but every site does. One thing nice about M4carbine is your able to talk to credible experts in the field.
Pat

Shasta McNasty
06-26-2011, 23:56
M4 carbine is a good site in my experience. They require people to talk about things they have actual knowledge about. They don't tolerate posers. They do have some jerks but every site does. One thing nice about M4carbine is your able to talk to credible experts in the field.
Pat

glad you like it. :) i think i saw your username on there....

however, as i stated before, knowledge does me no good when you don't share it. they wouldn't answer any of my questions, and acting like a ******nozzle doesn't offer me anything.

of course every site has obnoxious turds, but i've never encountered one as unfriendly as m4carbine. they should share their knowledge, not their arrogance.

anyway, the only expert on there i like reading is dr. roberts' wound ballistics posts.

that's my (and apparently many other's) experiences, so i'll choose to frequent friendlier forums like this one, where folks actually answer my questionsa :)

Alaskapopo
06-27-2011, 00:14

however, as i stated before, knowledge does me no good when you don't share it. they wouldn't answer any of my questions, and acting like a ******nozzle doesn't offer me anything.

of course every site has obnoxious turds, but i've never encountered one as unfriendly as m4carbine. they should share their knowledge, not their arrogance.

anyway, the only expert on there i like reading is dr. roberts' wound ballistics posts.

that's my (and apparently many other's) experiences, so i'll choose to frequent friendlier forums like this one, where folks actually answer my questionsa :)

Dr. Roberts is a good guy. I have talked to him over the phone and he has a lot of knowledge to share.
pat

boomhower
06-27-2011, 10:21
I'd go Colt myself if I could (the le restricted guns are not legal for civilian posession in my state) customer service isn't important if the gun is right to begin with which is much more likely with a Colt ar than just about any other.

The LE restriction markings have absolutely nothing to do with legality for civilian ownership. Now, it you live in a ban state that's a different story. It's not legal but it has nothing at all to do with the markings.

TedG
06-27-2011, 11:30

I totally agree.

BBJones
06-27-2011, 12:20

You realize PSA is a sponsor there too? There are many threads that bash sponsor products (read some KNS anti rotation pins threads - KNS is a sponsor). No one pimps products that are junk just because they sponsor the forum. They also will not hold back criticism of sponsor products if warranted.

They run their site differently than say GT. They expect you to do your research and then ask an informed questions. The most common post there is "thread locked. use the search function."

Are they jerks about things? Sometimes, but from the mods perspective you get sick of seeing the same threads over and over. That forum is actively moderated unlike GT. As a result some feelings get hurt but the level of discussion is ... um more informative.

All of the information you seek is posted there. Use of the search function would have given all of your answers. GT maybe friendlier (at times) but provides no where near the level of information you can find @ M4C.

IndianaMatt
06-30-2011, 07:52
6920. Thread over.

Sci
06-30-2011, 13:18
stag arms model 8 . been a good rifle for me so far . 1000.00 for a piston gun not too bad . :cool:

MistoGators
06-30-2011, 20:18
The $995 LE6920 on GT Distributors - is it the older one with the larger pins?

MistoGators
07-07-2011, 21:47
Looks like GT Distributors doesn't have the LE6920 anymore. Oh well...

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=COLT-LE6920

ColdBlooded
07-07-2011, 21:52
Looks like GT Distributors doesn't have the LE6920 anymore. Oh well...

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=COLT-LE6920

Yeah. Because the LE is a billion times better than the SP:

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=COLT-SP6920