6 position buffer tube+14.5 barrel= 26" overall? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 6 position buffer tube+14.5 barrel= 26" overall?

Judge Roy Bean
06-23-2011, 06:43
Have narrowed it down.

Spikes lower. I want to take the stock off, leave the 6 position buffer tube and put a pad over it from Ace stocks. Possible? Good idea?

Is a milspec or civilian buffer tube lighter?

Spikes L/W 14.5 upper with perm flash hider to make 16" overall.

Edit*- just saw that there is no 14.5 " upper on spikes website. I though they made one. I will look into other companies I guess.

With this set up, will the rifle be complient with the 26" overall rifle lenght law?

And as yall might remember. I'm trying to make the rifle as light as possible and still be compliant with state/federal laws.

Sorry if these are stupid/newb questions. I am somewhat new to Ar rifles.

cyrsequipment
06-23-2011, 09:07
Ok, just to catch up... you are going without a stock?

If you are going without a stock, why not have a pistol?

Sorry if you have already answered these questions.

JBaird22
06-23-2011, 09:08
I would probably assume your overall length would be greater than 26 inches with a 16 inch barrel. With the stock completely collapsed it sits at the base of the tube (meaning they are flush against each other) and the collapsed length is well over the legal limit. That said, if you put some sort of pad on the buffer tube, you are not making it shorter by any means.

GearGuru
06-23-2011, 11:39
Agree with other poster, why not go with a pistol lower, then you can put a 10.5 or so bbl on her, set without a "stock" and it's just another pistol with no worries about minimum length etc.

Judge Roy Bean
06-24-2011, 04:58
Ok, just to catch up... you are going without a stock?

If you are going without a stock, why not have a pistol?

Sorry if you have already answered these questions.

Just trying to go as light as possible. (Bad shoulder)

Judge Roy Bean
06-24-2011, 04:59
I would probably assume your overall length would be greater than 26 inches with a 16 inch barrel. With the stock completely collapsed it sits at the base of the tube (meaning they are flush against each other) and the collapsed length is well over the legal limit. That said, if you put some sort of pad on the buffer tube, you are not making it shorter by any means.

Was thinking it would be lighter than a traditional stock. Thanks for the feedback.:wavey:

Judge Roy Bean
06-24-2011, 05:01
Agree with other poster, why not go with a pistol lower, then you can put a 10.5 or so bbl on her, set without a "stock" and it's just another pistol with no worries about minimum length etc.

Sorry, I reckon I need to do a little more legal homework. If you have a lower that has no buffer tube, is that considered a pistol lower? And it does not have to be 26" overall? Sorry for the stupid questions, I just want to be compliant with the laws. I guess I should take a look at the SBR info on here. Thanks Gear.

cyrsequipment
06-24-2011, 05:33
Sorry, I reckon I need to do a little more legal homework. If you have a lower that has no buffer tube, is that considered a pistol lower? And it does not have to be 26" overall? Sorry for the stupid questions, I just want to be compliant with the laws. I guess I should take a look at the SBR info on here. Thanks Gear.

If it doesn't have a stock, then you can go as short as you want. There are some (not me because I have a legal SBR) that just go the pistol route and use the stubby tube as a "stock", it isn't very comfortable (and depending on your shoulder injury, it might not work for you) but it serves as a steady rest...

Is your bad shoulder on your support side or your shooting side?

Judge Roy Bean
06-24-2011, 05:49
If it doesn't have a stock, then you can go as short as you want. There are some (not me because I have a legal SBR) that just go the pistol route and use the stubby tube as a "stock", it isn't very comfortable (and depending on your shoulder injury, it might not work for you) but it serves as a steady rest...

Is your bad shoulder on your support side or your shooting side?

Support side. I have trouble keeping my arm extended in front of me with any weight or supporting a rifle.

I'm thinkin it may be worth it to get the 200$ tax stamp. That way I can really go light, short barrel, and have a stock.

cyrsequipment
06-24-2011, 07:29
Support side. I have trouble keeping my arm extended in front of me with any weight or supporting a rifle.

I'm thinkin it may be worth it to get the 200$ tax stamp. That way I can really go light, short barrel, and have a stock.

I ripped my shoulder a few years back, that was when I switched my off hand from gripping the fore-end to gripping the magwell (although now I'm trying to train myself to grip further out with my other long guns). It is a bit slower if you have a long barrel but it allows you to take the strain off your shoulder almost altogether and just steady the weapon. If you do it right your arm almost hangs straight down...

But, I think you might be better off with an SBR, not only are they lighter, they are easier to maneuver and fun as hell....