20" DMPS A2 range report (PICS) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 20" DMPS A2 range report (PICS)

bmoore
06-23-2011, 16:39
ATTENTION BEFORE READING------ I am not an operator, I am not a police officer, I do not have plans on going into combat, I have general marksman skills, I plink cans, paper, junk and coyotes. I don't go to rifle courses. I fully understand there are better quality AR's out there. I dont make enough for a 3,000 dollar AR and dont put 3,000 dollar AR's on my credit card. That being said, this is my rifle and I love it. It makes a nice addition to my Smith M&P15

Took my recent build to the range today. Its a JD lower, PSA lower parts kit, Model 1 A2 stock with a DPMS 20" A2 upper. I built this rifle for about 670 bucks. Before the range it was cleaned, oiled and greased. I also leveled the front site post and midlined the widage adjustment. I put 140 rounds through it today including PMC 55grn FMJ, Winchester superX 55grn pointed soft point, and 50grn Remington UMC hollowpoints. It shot great. It started with a tight group 4 inches low and 1 inch to the right at 50 yards. It took 9 other shots in groups of 3 to bring it to zero. The sight adjustments were sturdy and solid when adjusting. I was very happy to see how tight the groups were for this gun. I did not do any special barrel break in procedure, I also did not rapid fire the crap out of the thing either. Not that this was some kind of torture test, but the rifle had zero stoppages of any kind.

I do not shot 3,000 rounds a week, I shoot more like maybe 1,000 to 1,500 a year. If something goes down on the rifle I will upgrade the part, but right now I am going to shoot and enjoy this sucker. The gas key appears to be staked well from what I can tell. All the brass kicked out at the 4oclock positon about 10-12 feet away from me. Ok DPMS haters lets hear it....................

HAIL CAESAR
06-23-2011, 17:12
Congratulations on your new rifle. Have fun and shoot the snot out of it. :wavey:

(Don't let the little weiney's, that are sure to come, get you down)

bmoore
06-23-2011, 17:14
Congratulations on your new rifle. Have fun and shoot the snot out of it. :wavey:

(Don't let the little weiney's, that are sure to come, get you down)

LOL oh dont worry, I wont.

Airborne Infantryman
06-23-2011, 17:48
I like the simplicity of it......I'm looking to get an A4 style rifle.

Lee-online
06-23-2011, 18:03
Nice.

I was on the fence with getting a dpms 20" dcm upper. I played with a friends and i loved it. I didn't get the dpms but i still think they are great rifles.

Alaskapopo
06-23-2011, 19:31
ATTENTION BEFORE READING------ I am not an operator, I am not a police officer, I do not have plans on going into combat, I have general marksman skills, I plink cans, paper, junk and coyotes. I don't go to rifle courses. I fully understand there are better quality AR's out there. I dont make enough for a 3,000 dollar AR and dont put 3,000 dollar AR's on my credit card. That being said, this is my rifle and I love it. It makes a nice addition to my Smith M&P15

Took my recent build to the range today. Its a JD lower, PSA lower parts kit, Model 1 A2 stock with a DPMS 20" A2 upper. I built this rifle for about 670 bucks. Before the range it was cleaned, oiled and greased. I also leveled the front site post and midlined the widage adjustment. I put 140 rounds through it today including PMC 55grn FMJ, Winchester superX 55grn pointed soft point, and 50grn Remington UMC hollowpoints. It shot great. It started with a tight group 4 inches low and 1 inch to the right at 50 yards. It took 9 other shots in groups of 3 to bring it to zero. The sight adjustments were sturdy and solid when adjusting. I was very happy to see how tight the groups were for this gun. I did not do any special barrel break in procedure, I also did not rapid fire the crap out of the thing either. Not that this was some kind of torture test, but the rifle had zero stoppages of any kind.

I do not shot 3,000 rounds a week, I shoot more like maybe 1,000 to 1,500 a year. If something goes down on the rifle I will upgrade the part, but right now I am going to shoot and enjoy this sucker. The gas key appears to be staked well from what I can tell. All the brass kicked out at the 4oclock positon about 10-12 feet away from me. Ok DPMS haters lets hear it....................

Well if your going to get a DPMS the rifle versions are the most trouble free. You should try it at a three gun match. Its a lot of fun. I would have someone stake the carrier key for you. Get a BCM spare bolt when money allows. The fact it has ran fine so far means the chamber is probably in spec.(A crap shoot with DPMS) You must have gotten one that was made on a new reamer. I am glad its working for you.
Pat

bmoore
06-23-2011, 19:52
Well if your going to get a DPMS the rifle versions are the most trouble free. You should try it at a three gun match. Its a lot of fun. I would have someone stake the carrier key for you. Get a BCM spare bolt when money allows. The fact it has ran fine so far means the chamber is probably in spec.(A crap shoot with DPMS) You must have gotten one that was made on a new reamer. I am glad its working for you.
Pat

The bolt will be the first to get upgraded, along with a Vltor charging handle. I put a Vltor on my Smith M&P15 and love it.

azbuckeye
06-24-2011, 09:18
bmoore

Nice looking AR. It sounds like you're happy with the rifle and for me that's enough said.

I have a Bushmaster 20" A2 and have no plans to add anything to it but ammo. The tactical rifles with all the modern gadgets are nice, but I'm "old school" and would rather spend my $$$ on ammo

Enjoy....

scromer
06-24-2011, 17:40
I'm going to build me an A2 here soon. I love the rugged simplicity and versatility of the A2 sights.

nickster
06-24-2011, 18:14
Nice rifle! I have two of them and they run great, enjoy.

trigger45
07-05-2011, 07:37
I have a dpms tac-16. its a dissipator. dime sized groups with a 6x scope for 10 shots. they make good rifles.

fuzzy03cls
07-05-2011, 08:08
I think DPMS is ok for most folks. My gripe is their pricing. With the market now it's worth less then they are selling for when you can get a far better Spikes or other for not much more $.

AK_Stick
07-05-2011, 08:53
If you're looking to upgrade charging handles, look at the BCM, they're pretty nice as well. Are you shooting it with the carry handle or some sort of flip up rear sight?

While a DPMS certainly wouldn't be my choice, glad you're happy with your rifle.

bmoore
07-05-2011, 09:33
If you're looking to upgrade charging handles, look at the BCM, they're pretty nice as well. Are you shooting it with the carry handle or some sort of flip up rear sight?

While a DPMS certainly wouldn't be my choice, glad you're happy with your rifle.

Its an A2 upper, i shoot it bone stock with the irons. I have a Vltor gunfighter charging handle on my Smith M&P and it is very nice.

AK_Stick
07-05-2011, 09:44
Man I'm having a case of the boneheads, I saw A2, and somehow thought A4.

However, after looking up the Vltor, it looks like we're talking about the same charging handle.

Not sure if Vltor just paid to have their name on it, or if Vltor and BCM got together to design it, but we're talking about the very same BCM Gunfighter charging handle, they are indeed pretty slick.

I'm still running an old school PRI gasbuster, and a Badger Ord tac latch, but my next one will be a gunfighter.

ColdBlooded
07-05-2011, 10:23
Not sure if Vltor just paid to have their name on it, or if Vltor and BCM got together to design it, but we're talking about the very same BCM Gunfighter charging handle, they are indeed pretty slick.

The Gunfighter was designed as a collaborative effort with Vltor ultimately building and manufacturing the product. It was the result of many conversations over the phone.

From the BCM Gunfighter Product Description:
"We have been very fortunate to receive continuing feedback from trainers and operators alike for several years now regarding these issues.Internally we have seen this many times while in the course of continually test firing weapons before sale.Initially we matched up a couple prototype solutions, but in conversations with Eric at VLTOR, he was able to develop a better design at a better price for the consumer.(VLTOR patent pending)"