What makes the SOPMOD stock worth $200? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What makes the SOPMOD stock worth $200?

Airborne Infantryman
06-23-2011, 21:31
I had a SOPMOD stock on my issued M4 the whole deployment in Afghanistan. I liked the cheekweld, but upon researching getting one for my ARs when I got back, I was immediately appalled by the $200 price tag.

I was introduced to VLTOR stocks by LWRC, which come standard on all LWRC rifles (EMod, specifically).

Doing the price comparison, I saw that the SOPMOD was $200, vs. the $100 for an EMod, and $75 for an IMod. I went with the VLTOR stocks, and I fell in love with the ability to store batteries in the stock without having to take it off like the SOPMOD.

I use the battery compartments on my VLTOR EMod and IMod to store solid steel cylinders I had cut to the dimensions of a 123 battery. I use these steel cylinders to help balance the rifle. (Weird, yes, but it works for me)

Of course when deployed, I used the compartments to store batteries, because I carried enough BS on my plate carrier as it was (being an RTO was miserable...)

Anyway, what make these stocks so expensive? I like them, and feel the cheekweld is superior to the VLTOR stocks, but not $100 more superior.

And what was the deal with the "B5 Systems" SOPMOD stocks that everyone was in an uproar about?

ColdBlooded
06-23-2011, 22:00
Because of the MPI/HPT.
:rofl:

Seriously though. It is a very good stock, rock solid from a high tier brand. Did you think they were going to give it away? Is it $100 better than an Emod? Or is it $75 better than a Magpul ACS? That is for you to decide, and apparently you have decided it isn't. That is fine. Like I said, it is a quality product, but expensive. LMT can ask whatever price they want. If the price they ask was ludicrous, it would not sell and the market price would go down. The price seems to be stable, so I bet they sell.

Airborne Infantryman
06-23-2011, 22:06
Because of the MPI/HPT.
:rofl:

Seriously though. It is a very good stock, rock solid from a high tier brand. Did you think they were going to give it away? Is it $100 better than an Emod? Or is it $75 better than a Magpul ACS? That is for you to decide, and apparently you have decided it isn't. That is fine. Like I said, it is a quality product, but expensive. LMT can ask whatever price they want. If the price they ask was ludicrous, it would not sell and the market price would go down. The price seems to be stable, so I bet they sell.

I have no issues with the fact that LMT sells it for that much; I'm just wondering if it was due to the manufacturing process, or due to licensing (apparently KAC makes them for LMT?), or what. I'm just wondering why. People will pay whatever they have to when it comes to getting what they want, and what works for them.

boomhower
06-23-2011, 22:41
It's not manufacturing, .mil pays less than $20 a pop for them. There was an article on arfcom I believe was the site on what they were paying, I like it was $14.xx.

Airborne Infantryman
06-23-2011, 22:47
It's not manufacturing, .mil pays less than $20 a pop for them. There was an article on arfcom I believe was the site on what they were paying, I like it was $14.xx.

Figures. We get everything cheap(er) when we buy in bulk.

AK_Stick
06-24-2011, 01:41
Supply vs demand. There was a while where they were about un-attainable. Now Vltor and Magpul, and some others have knock offs that have increased our options.

humanguerrilla
06-24-2011, 11:28
Really liking the new similar Tactical Intent stock, made by a KY military/medical/automotive polymer and rubber company that is branching out. It's like a cross between the Sopmod, Magpul CTR, and Vltor stocks. Seems very sturdy, locks up tight, good storage, lever is on the inside so you don't have to rig up something or cannibalize a Vltor butterfly like guys do to improve the sopmod.

http://tacticalintent.com/products.php

Airborne Infantryman
06-24-2011, 12:07
Really liking the new similar Tactical Intent stock, made by a KY military/medical/automotive polymer and rubber company that is branching out. It's like a cross between the Sopmod, Magpul CTR, and Vltor stocks. Seems very sturdy, locks up tight, good storage, lever is on the inside so you don't have to rig up something or cannibalize a Vltor butterfly like guys do to improve the sopmod.

http://tacticalintent.com/products.php

I've actually read a LOT of good things about that stock over on ARFCOM. Heard it locks up tight, and really feels like a quality stock. Looks like a good compromise between a CTR and a SOPMOD.

Fire_Medic
07-01-2011, 12:40
I had a SOPMOD in Tan on my middy and recently went back to the Magpul ACS. The ACS is a little bit heavier and balanced my rifle out better and the battery compartments are much easier to get at in any decent amount of time. The SOPMOD is a solid stock, but "I" just preferred the ACS, and it being less expensive didn't hurt either.

Just my $0.02