Crucial 64GB SSD [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Crucial 64GB SSD

JimmyN
06-24-2011, 06:17
I see Newegg has a sale going on Crucial 64GB SATA III SSD drives. Only $114.99 with free shipping. I'm thinking about getting one, or maybe two.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL062411&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL062411-_-EMC-062411-Index-_-SSD-_-20148441-L0B

eracer
06-24-2011, 06:27
Pretty small drive for very little real-world advantage over a much bigger hard drive for the money.

myrdraal0
06-24-2011, 08:09
I disagree with the very little advantage comment. These SSDs are small and expensive per MB, but they are much faster, quieter, cooler and use less power.

I have SSDs in a couple of PCs now and it is probably the biggest performance boosting piece of hardware you can put in your system. Those two PCs boot in seconds and they're ready to go as soon as Windows is up - instead of the hard drive spinning away for a couple more minutes while the system just crawls...

I haven't specifically used the Crucial SSD drives, but I do have one from OCZ and one from Intel.

Drjones
06-24-2011, 09:34
I have a 60GB OCZ Vertex, and while I am very happy with its performance, I would certainly go for a larger drive depending on your needs.

First, because of the disparity between the actual size of drives & how they are marketed, a 60GB drive only shows up as 55GB, then after installing Windows 7, antivirus, MS Office, and a few other SMALL programs (Winamp, etc.) I only have 16GB free; I'm already at 3/4 capacity.

Don't get me wrong; I am thrilled with my purchase and it works great for my needs, but I'm helping a client build a laptop and he wants an SSD and uses CAD programs so I know from experience we're going to have to start with at least a 120GB drive or else it will fill up completely & be useless.

Basically, look at the type & number of programs you need to run & let that determine what size drive you should get.

But definitely get one!

Drjones
06-24-2011, 09:35
Pretty small drive for very little real-world advantage over a much bigger hard drive for the money.

No offense, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

gemeinschaft
06-24-2011, 15:18
One of my buds has an IBM Stinkpad with a 64gb SSD and then in the optical drive slot, he has a 500gb HDD where he keeps most of his data.

The SSD boots up quickly and loads large programs a lot faster. When on extended trips in a plane, he only uses the SSD and gets about 30% more time out of his battery.

Yes, SSD is a great thing.

I had the opportunity to accept a 256gb SSD as a gift and I passed on it. Man, I regret that.

HotRoderX
06-24-2011, 15:26

I can tell you have never used one. I have a 80 gig Intel SSD I use it for applications and windows. I then have a 2x's 500gig in a Raid 0 for my storage drives. It literally takes secs to boot into windows. If I transfer anything between my SSD and Raid 0 the Raid 0 bottle necks it. When I start up a program it either opens up instantly or at max 3-5secs

My system specs as follows

8gigs DDR3 Memory
6 Core AMD Processor
ATI HD 6870 Video Card.
2x's WD 500gig hard drives with 32mb cache's

filthy infidel
06-25-2011, 15:11
At work we re-image Lenovo products daily. I've finally gotten my hands on some SSD drives and believe me, the flat out smoke a standard HDD. I may have twenty laptops on my bench at a time, and those with SSDs boot fully to the desktop in seconds. The SSD units also take a ghosted image in about half the time of a standard HDD.

I salivate over some of the stuff at work, makes my scrimped to buy and optimized hardware at home look like tinkertoys.

BobbyT
06-25-2011, 15:20
If you don't have a "SATA III" (SATA 6 gbps) connection, look at some of the price cuts on the "SATA II" (SATA 3 gbps) drives.

They're approaching a buck a drive, with 64 gigs for 60-80 bucks, sometimes with rebate. The limit of SATA 3 gbps is a bit under 300 mbps, so a drive rated at 250-275 is right at its limit and still much faster than a HDD (<100 mbps), and still has orders of magnitude better IOPS, which is what makes it "feel" so much faster.

If you get a 300-500 mbps latest generation drive and plug it into a SATA 3 gbps port, it'll be fast, but the extra buck a gig you spent over the last generation will be a waste.

Drjones
06-26-2011, 08:31
At work we re-image Lenovo products daily. I've finally gotten my hands on some SSD drives and believe me, the flat out smoke a standard HDD. I may have twenty laptops on my bench at a time, and those with SSDs boot fully to the desktop in seconds. The SSD units also take a ghosted image in about half the time of a standard HDD.

I salivate over some of the stuff at work, makes my scrimped to buy and optimized hardware at home look like tinkertoys.

Dude, SSDs are relatively inexpensive & affordable; my 60GB OCZ (one of the best rated due to its SandForce controller) was only like $140. Price has dropped to $130 now.

Obviously they are still very expensive per GB compared to mechanical drives, but they are easily affordable for most folks.

handyman
06-26-2011, 10:07
When I built mine I installed one it boots up quick mine was intel brand.

solomansousana
06-26-2011, 11:59
I see Newegg has a sale going on Crucial 64GB SATA III SSD drives. Only $114.99 with free shipping. I'm thinking about getting one, or maybe two.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL062411&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL062411-_-EMC-062411-Index-_-SSD-_-20148441-L0B

I just took delivery of a new business laptop, a Dell Vostro 1700 with 2 drives, the primary boot drive is a 64gb SSD for use with Windows 7 pro 64 and a 1tb hdd for regular storage usage. Boot time is UBER UBER fast