Cloning HP Notebook drive - Recovery Partition *FAILS* [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cloning HP Notebook drive - Recovery Partition *FAILS*

Pierre!
06-24-2011, 07:22
So I am working on a client's 2008 HP Pavilion class notebook, and the clone attempts keep failing...

The Hitachi drive does test as *failed* on the BIOS diagnostic HD test.

Clonezilla clones without errors, but the drive won't boot.

Macrium makes an image of the C: drive, but fails the HP_Recovery partition with a CRC error!

Hmmm... Any great ideas from the Tech Collective?

In the mean time I will start looking to make recovery disks if possible...

TIA!

Toyman
06-24-2011, 07:36
GRC.COM Spinrite

Pierre!
06-24-2011, 13:31
GRC.COM Spinrite

Looks really good! Wish I didn't have to have 4 copies for a site license...

Rats... all the good stuff has $$$ attached to it these days... (LOL)

Pierre!
06-24-2011, 17:20
I ended up sucessful with the Macrium image restoration... system runs fine, and a bit faster due to the 7200Rpm drive.

Made up the Recovery DVD's just to keep him a happy client...

All's good!

gemeinschaft
06-24-2011, 18:17
I ended up sucessful with the Macrium image restoration... system runs fine, and a bit faster due to the 7200Rpm drive.

Made up the Recovery DVD's just to keep him a happy client...

All's good!

Glad to see that you got it sorted out, my spidey senses tell me that had the client waited any longer to get you to sort it out, it would have been too late. :whistling:

Pierre!
06-24-2011, 18:45
Roger that... Got it Tuesday, NewEgg got the drive to me *super* fast...

Seems there were many "HP_Recovery" won't clone threads.... then again it was a damaged drive. I did get CRC failed so the image failed errors... just a bad drive!

Can't clone em all all the time...

But that SpinRite might have cleaned it up to the point that it WOULD clone nicely...

When the bucks get up I'll pick up a copy I think... only have 5 pc's in the house... plenty to *experiment* on!!! :rofl:

With all my spare time of course... :supergrin:

filthy infidel
06-25-2011, 15:31
Spinright might just be available from a place where pirateships come in.....
Has made me a hero a time or two... eventually I did buy a licensed version much like SAS and MWB. Those guys keep us in business.

ETA- I do have a script for Norton Ghost that will force clones of even bad sectors and have found that this will get a good image from a bad drive at times. If you don't have it, lemme know and I'll dig it up- it's around here somewhere.

Pierre!
06-26-2011, 16:57
For the second day in a row, the notebook ran fine all day yesterday after initiating a recovery to the system.

This morning it ran for a while, and restarted it's self, and then requested the recovery process.

This is a Windows Vista system.

Not sure what this could be. No errors during the image restoration, so I am uncertain what could be up.

Testing the new hard drive via the HP Pavilion Diagnostic page got good results - the drive is fine.

Partition wise I did leave room for the HP_Recovery, and I am sure I can drop the 100M Vista partition on it... I will be surfing to see if missing this partition will cause this behavior...

I get it back 9:00am tomorrow and then I can check the log files for issues...

Any thoughts?