Grip for PM9? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Grip for PM9?

Brad737
06-24-2011, 18:23
Hello Mas,

Based upon your recommendation, I recently picked up a Kahr PM9. Man, what a little pocket rocket! My normal CCWs are a G30SF and a S&W 642, but I wanted a small 9mm in my CCW wardrobe as well.

So far, I've only shot WWB FMJ for break in, at a range of 7 yards. All of my shots are "in the black" in the center of mass, but my groups are a bit larger than I'd like. I'm convinced that this is due to my grip. It seems like my normal "2 thumbs forward" grip is a bit much for the tiny Kahr. Do you have any recommendations for gripping the Kahr?

Also, my normal defensive rounds for 9mm are the Ranger T in 127 +P+ and 124 +P. Have you had good results with these rounds with your Kahrs?

Many thanks,
Brad

Mas Ayoob
06-24-2011, 21:10
Brad, I can only speak to my own guns, and I've had no problem with the hot loads you describe running out of these little Kahrs.

Curled down thumbs is actually the grasp I prefer, but the trigger reach is so close-coupled on my PM-series guns, the trigger finger gets stopped by the thumb, so I more or less have to go with a straight-thumbs grip.

Make sure your thumbs aren't long enough that they'll get in the way of the muzzle blast (:supergrin:) and try the straight thumbs grasp again, but this time with a conscious maximum-strength crush grip with all fingers but the one running the trigger.

Give it a shot, so to speak, and get back to me here and let us all know your results.

best,
Mas

Brad737
06-30-2011, 17:41
Mas,
Your advice was right on. I was getting lazy and not gripping the weapon as tightly as I should, and it was wobbling a bit. I added Scherer magazine extensions to my 6 rounders, and can now get a bit more hand on the gun. I shot the little 9 much better today. This is an impressive little beast.
Thanks,
Brad