Dawson sights successfully installed... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dawson sights successfully installed...

emore
06-24-2011, 19:07
Well, sort of successfully. I simply cannot believe the amount of metal I had to remove to get the darned rear adjustable into the dovetail. I had to be doing something wrong, but I finally got it there. Installing the .335" front was a piece of cake, they even send you the install tool for both ends. I ran to the range before the Loc-Tite even had time to set up to see if I needed to drift them a bit. It hit about four inches high and between one and two inches left. I was able to tune the left back to center pretty easily but the elevation had me worried. I have it almost pegged all the way down and it finally started punching bullseyes. I'm going to take it back out in the morning and make sure that everything sat up tight and make any final adjustments, although I think it's dead on the money now. Personally, I like the Warren sight picture better (both just steel sights with no enhancements.)
What's the breakdown between Dawson fans and Warren fans, as well as others?

MrVvrroomm
06-24-2011, 19:42
(raising hand) I have Warrens on my Gen4 35 Limited gun, 34, 17, 26.

bustedknee
06-24-2011, 21:57
Didja remove the metal from the sight or the slide?

I need to do some research. Never heard of Dawsons. I use Heinies.

EKUJustice
06-24-2011, 22:53
Remove from the sight not the slide

AA#5
06-24-2011, 23:21
Actually, I think you get a better fit when the sight is too big to fit in the dovetail & you have to file it.

In a brave moment, I replaced the front sight on my 44 Mag. Marlin 1894 rifle with a Williams fire sight (fiber optic). The only tools I had were a brass punch, hammer & some sofa cushions to rest the rifle on (no vise). The sight base was WAY too big & I didn't have any files. I used a knife sharpening stone & very gradually filed it & tried it out after every 2-3 strokes. It came out perfectly - really tight & no movement after 350 full-power rounds. Great sight picture - the adjustable ghost ring rear & the front glows like a neon sign.

emore
06-25-2011, 01:32
Didja remove the metal from the sight or the slide?

I need to do some research. Never heard of Dawsons. I use Heinies.

The sight has the "male" portion of the dovetail so it's the part you remove metal from. I just didn't expect to have to remove half the weight of the thing! Man, my fingers are numb.
Dawson is not a minor player, but I would prefer the Warrens if I had it to do over again. The main reason I went with Dawson is that I could find an adjustable sight on their page where I couldn't locate an adjustable Warren.

Glock 17L
06-25-2011, 01:46
Can you get us a picture of the adjustable dawsons on your glock emore?

emore
06-25-2011, 04:07
Can you get us a picture of the adjustable dawsons on your glock emore?

Sorry about the quality. I'm a little shaky at this time of morning not to mention not very creative.

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy217/philemore/DSCN0085.jpg

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy217/philemore/DSCN0086.jpg

Almost got the front sight in that one!

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy217/philemore/DSCN0087.jpg

gator378
07-03-2011, 11:26
Actually, I think you get a better fit when the sight is too big to fit in the dovetail & you have to file it.

In a brave moment, I replaced the front sight on my 44 Mag. Marlin 1894 rifle with a Williams fire sight (fiber optic). The only tools I had were a brass punch, hammer & some sofa cushions to rest the rifle on (no vise). The sight base was WAY too big & I didn't have any files. I used a knife sharpening stone & very gradually filed it & tried it out after every 2-3 strokes. It came out perfectly - really tight & no movement after 350 full-power rounds. Great sight picture - the adjustable ghost ring rear & the front glows like a neon sign.

I tried the EXpress Ghost ring on my Marlin 1894 and the damn adjustment screw stripped out. Ended up with piece of $100.00 piece of junk. Defaulted to a 1-4 power Leupold and happy as a clam. The 1894 is a nice shooting rifle. Guess will retire the revolver. Should have tried the Williams

FLSlim
07-04-2011, 08:35
Got a Dawson night FS for a 1911. It took some work, but I went slow and had great results. +1 on the simple sight tool. Dawson has a FS installation video on its web site which is excellent!