Local Self Defense Shooting (edited) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Local Self Defense Shooting (edited)

SwampBoys
06-25-2011, 17:08
First, thank you Mas for your service here. Even a new guy like me can appreciate the value you add to GT and GATE. :thumbsup: I read as much as I can of what you post so that I can slowly build a knowledge base of experience and various scenarios.

There was a self defense shooting a town away from where I live, and in the town where I work. Below is a link to the story in the local paper, but the short of it is a man was checking on his mother-in-law's property. According to the report at
http://www.newschief.com/article/20110624/NEWS/106245023

While Taylor was checking the rear of the home, a person jumped over his head coming out of a window, detectives reported.

While ducking the first person, Taylor was nearly hit by a second man coming out of the same window, reports said.

Apparently the good guy Taylor drew his pistol and the second man "stood his ground" and even began approaching the gg. He -gg- opened fire, killing bad guy #2 on the scene. Read the story at the link for better details. BG #1 fled the scene but was caught a short time later.

I guess my question comes in with regards to the gg being outside of the home. I always read about being able to draw and fire within your home when fearing for your life/safety, but this gg was outside of the house. I'm guessing maybe because the bg saw the drawn weapon, yet still stood his ground and even approached, that the gg will be in the clear. I'd love to hear your explanation of it and thoughts about it.

By the way, we have Sheriff Grady Judd who is very pro civilian home defense. :thumbsup:

Mas Ayoob
06-25-2011, 17:14
Based on the report, bro, I don't see a problem. The guy was coming at him and his lawfully drawn gun. Reasonable and prudent to believe that he considers himself capable of disarming and murdering you with it, and apparently close enough to do so.

best,
Mas

SwampBoys
06-27-2011, 17:36
Thanks Mas, makes sense.
I'll post the offical response when/if I see it.